Thrift store drama

unclehobart

The pin was extremely well guarded from above and below. All I had was a mini masonry bit. Cutting low on the cone would have been really dicey because the whole thing rotated. I wouldn't have had anywhere to grab it well. General top down grinding seemed the safest approach.

unclehobart

How strong of a magnet?... because I didnt have anything more powerful than kiddie letter fridge types... aka.. feeble.

FluerVanderloo

Oh this was one of those heavy ass things. It was round, about the diameter of a CD with a circular groove in the center where the one half of it was placed, then you just pulled the other half apart from it.

unclehobart

I don't think it would have as the ball bearings all had to be pulled away from the core of the mechanism in a disc shape away from each other. A flat magnet would only have been able to cover 1/3 of the cone at a time.

Besides... it felt really good and primal to dig in and tinker with the darn thing. I felt like a 3rd rate bomb squad.

Inkara1

That usually depends on the size of the speaker it came from. Tweeters and mids usually don't have holes in the middle. Not all woofers have a hole but many do because of the extra cooling needed from moving that much air.

I'd probably unscrew one of my car's 12" subwoofers from the box in the trunk and use that magnet.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
I'll have to ask her about said magnet. I didn't know we had one.

Is she THAT far away that you need to add it to your to do list...ya couldn't shout as you typed? :p

tonksy

Nixy said:
Is she THAT far away that you need to add it to your to do list...ya couldn't shout as you typed? :p
I was on the phone, funny thing is that it's from one of his old speakers.

Inkara1

I once took apart an old CDROM drive, and inside there's a piece of plastic with a magnet in it that makes contact with the spindle when the disc goes in to keep it from wobbling. I pulled the halves apart and turned the magnet around, then put it back together and stuck it on my parents' fridge. It's still on it.

unclehobart

Now I remember. Its one of the Boston Accoustic speakers I salvaged from the dead truck. That sucker should have worked quite nicely.