US bars France, Germany, Russia and Canada from Iraq contracts

chcr

Too cute for words
Hoon said:
There's no court...
It's our system and it's there for a reason.
Missed the point dude. He cheated! Just because he didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Forget it.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
Considering that we have been made the worlds police by just about every UN mandate since the UN was founded, how can you say that we, in the US are the problem? Every time something in the world goes badly, there's a clamor for US involvement. If we don't get involved, then we're insensitive to the worlds needs. If we do get involved, then we're bullies, or the worlds police. Before you start typing a tert response, just remember...we are what we are because the public made us so. It's too late to cry about it now.

Sorry, Gato, you misundertand what I'm trying to say. Part of the world expects us to be the police, and another part resents it. Then, when something like the current situation happens. it puts us in the worst possible light. We could have achieved the same result with a little more patience and a little less death, but we were too anxious to get to the fighting. If the UN is ever to be what I thought was intended, we have to wait for them to ask (and they would have), not go off impatiently on our own. This is what I see the problem as.

Just my opinion.

Hoon

chcr said:
Missed the point dude. He cheated! Just because he didn't get caught doesn't make it right.

Forget it.

The man didn't cheat.
He won the electoral college which is in place so, as Mr. Valaru said, everyone has an equal voice.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Leslies source said:
as a percent of GDP

No shit. We put more money, dollar for dollar than anyone else & usually well more than most, combined. Our GDP is astronomical.
CIA Factbook said:
2002 estimated GDP $10.4 trillion

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:

Nov. 26
Deadline for certification set by Florida Supreme Court. Harris certifies the election results, giving Bush a 537-vote victory over Gore.

Nov. 27
Gore, arguing that the certified result wrongly failed to tally thousands of votes, sues to contest the election in Florida.

Dubya won, Al got pissed & tried to bring legal action to overturn a duly certified election.

chcr

Too cute for words
You missed the part where the republican legislature picked the electors, but the point is, there were multiple irregularities in a state that had a vested interest in one candidate. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

chcr

Too cute for words
paul_valaru said:
I heard they did the recount, and bush still won

There were questions about who did what recount, etc. Don't get me wrong, Al Gore is a useless twit, but Bush cheated. I can only hope one day information will come to light, but I will always believe this. Too many coincidences for me.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
chcr said:
There were questions about who did what recount, etc. Don't get me wrong, Al Gore is a useless twit, but Bush cheated. I can only hope one day information will come to light, but I will always believe this. Too many coincidences for me.

maybe someone cheated, but I don't think it was bush himself, I can't picute him putting on a fake mustache to vote more than once

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
Never fear, Gato dear, I see altruism in and feel pity for those endangering their lives and dying in a war waged based on falsehoods.

You are right in that your country is there in emergencies, just is every other industrial nation, and some who aren't so industrial.

I see what my press wants me to see, as well as what YOUR press wants me to see, as well as what mine and your history books say, as well as what the press around the world is saying.

The paper dolls statement is absolutely not uncalled for...it's exactly what's happening time and time again, and even now.

hmmmm... source

Leslie, my heart, please re-read this sentence so that you and I will be in the same book, if not on the same page...
Gato-Solo said:
You only see what your press wants you to see, just like everybody else.

I believe that about covers the press on any side of the issue you happen to be on...as well as me. ;)

Now...back to the magnanimousity of the US...

According to the IRC, American citizens give at a higher rate than anybody else in the world. Not the government, mind you, but the people. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
but Bush cheated

No. He didn't. He won just as every other politician looking at the presidency with a hard on, has won. By the electoral college. It's just & fair. Just wait until Nov '04 when he actually gets a majority vote (something Clinton never did)

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
No. He didn't. He won just as every other politician looking at the presidency with a hard on, has won. By the electoral college. It's just & fair. Just wait until Nov '04 when he actually gets a majority vote (something Clinton never did)
Too many coincidences for me, Gonz. The whole Florida thing reminds me of the O.J. thing, the Michael Jackson thing...

If you have enough money in America today, you can do what you want. When I look at his academic career, hei distinguished military service, etc. all I see is another rich kid who's lied, cheated and ridden through life on someone elses coattails. I have never doubted for a moment that the elction was a put up job and someone got clumsy.

Hoon

The left wingers have made such a habit of whining "no fair" & "you cheated" when they don't get their way that people don't listen anymore.

It's called integrity and being a good loser.

chcr

Too cute for words
Hoon said:
The left wingers have made such a habit of whining "no fair" & "you cheated" when they don't get their way that people don't listen anymore.

It's called integrity and being a good loser.
I resent the implication that I am a left-winger. I have no use for those people either, but even complete morons get one right once in a while.

I seriously believe that Bush and his cronies illegally circumvented the electoral process and the constitution, as did Nixon in the seventies.I'll remind you that Nixon was a clear, unquestionalbe winner who got what he deserved. They deserve to be punished, regardless of who might have been the better president (I thought all three front runners in the last election were useless, BTW. Nothing I've seen so far gives me any reason to change my opinion), or who won. I believe this very strongly. That so many people don't seem to care is a reflection of how complacent we have become. We expect lies and deceit from our leaders, and that's exactly what we get. I, for one, don't like it. It usually means I end up wasting my vote on someone that can't win, but I refuse to not vote.

Edit: Do some research on Dubya before you use the word "integrity" in any way involving him.

Leslie said:
...just give it up and say it like it is...you're selfish, money hungry, corrupt, greedy and proud of it :shrug:

"ummmyeeaahh" ....how could one expect any less vitriol from a Canadian?

A little bitter about the whole thing?

Countries that have been with the U.S. since day one should be able to benefit from reconstruction contracts. Remember: you're with us or against us. It still applies. Canada, France, Germany, and Russia were vocal detractors of the war on terrorism. It's laughable that the countries that gave us the finger then are the ones that are whining now. Aww, it's just too fucking bad.

MrBishop

The Other One said:
"ummmyeeaahh" ....how could one expect any less vitriol from a Canadian?

A little bitter about the whole thing?

Countries that have been with the U.S. since day one should be able to benefit from reconstruction contracts. Remember: you're with us or against us. It still applies. Canada, France, Germany, and Russia were vocal detractors of the war on terrorism. It's laughable that the countries that gave us the finger then are the ones that are whining now. Aww, it's just too fucking bad.

s'cuse me? Canada happens to be with the USA in the war on terrorism thing. The problem is that wee actually wanted proof BEFORE invading, and not invading and then looking for proof to substantiate the invasion.

It's not supposed to be "I came, I didn't see, I conquered, I still don't see"
...it's supposed to be "I saw (WMD), I came, I conquered"

If the USA had presented one scrap of evidence of WMD's to Prime Minister Chrétien, then Canada would've been in there...but Dubya didn't...because he didn't have any. If there had been any evidence, he'd have presented it to the UN months before the invasion, and everyone would've jumped on it...

Dubya had his multiple-opportunities and used NONE OF THEM!

OH BTW...the "Us" in this case is the USA and several other countries...I ask again. Why is it that ONLY the USA is making deceisions as to who gets the contracts? Hmmm?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
MrBishop said:
s'cuse me? Canada happens to be with the USA in the war on terrorism thing. The problem is that wee actually wanted proof BEFORE invading, and not invading and then looking for proof to substantiate the invasion.

If the USA had presented one scrap of evidence of WMD's to Prime Minister Chrétien, then Canada would've been in there...but Dubya didn't...because he didn't have any. If there had been any evidence, he'd have presented it to the UN months before the invasion, and everyone would've jumped on it...

OH BTW...the "Us" in this case is the USA and several other countries...I ask again. Why is it that ONLY the USA is making deceisions as to who gets the contracts? Hmmm?

I think it is cause they are jealous, we are loved, they are not

:lloyd:

MrBishop

No..that's not it. Not exactly... it's the catch phrase "Either you're with us, or you're against us" that does it. Black and White ideology.

Doesn't matter that we've been allies with the USA for decades, that we were there during WWI and WWII, or that wegave safe harbour to planes in the air during 9/11. Nothing that we've ever done means anything right now..just taking their baseball and going home.

Black and white.

I prefer Red and White
Canada-flag.gif

catocom

MrBishop said:

accedently hit the post button befor I got finish here. :la: