Virginia Tech

MrBishop

well, it seems the evolving story (background and such) doesn't
fit my theory anymore. (some, but not enough)
I guess he was just a psycho.:shrug:
If he'd been North Korean instead of South Korean - now that'd made a conspiracy theorist cream his jeans!

catocom

actually, that's exactly what sparked my theory.
When I heard asain, that was my first thought NK,
and then the press mis-reported that he'd only been here since 2006,
and was in his senior year...

ALL that turned out to be false. (except for being a senior)

There's more, like the part where a university is the target....
Just profiles man:shrug:

spike

Years of fear mongering has resulted with people jumping to a terrorism explanation for all sorts of things. Sad really.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
_42819275_chonbcgrab_203.jpg
_42819443_cho203ap.jpg

The student who shot dead at least 30 people at Virginia Tech sent a package to the US TV network NBC News on the day of the shootings, police said.

The package contained "disturbing" photographs, video and writings, NBC said, posted from the college campus between the two rounds of killings.

On Thursday, police lamented the NBC decision to show the footage.

Full story

Fucking twat

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What I want to hear from all the news outlets.

"We received this package from this shit-for-brains. He wants us to show it."

(pregnant pause)

"In other news...."

MrBishop

What I want to hear from all the news outlets.

"We received this package from this shit-for-brains. He wants us to show it."

(pregnant pause)

"In other news...."
Not likely.

Money talks...
everything else walks.

MrBishop

Strangely enough there is something called domestic terrorism.

Home-bred terrorism. This wasn't terrorism, home-bred or otherwise.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

This was some fucked up dude trying to take out as many people with him as possible. The only point he seemed to be trying to make was that 'it's possible, it's happened before and it'll happen again'

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Things that makes you go hmmm....

speakingofthedevil.jpg

(pardon the crappy where instead of were, but I didn't translate it)

Cerise

This guy went in with a mission. If guns were allowed on campus, he may have been dropped before it got so horrible.

Gun control only controls law obiding citizens, not criminals.

Cho knew his victims wouldn't be able to defend themselves because they were on state property.

But haven't we been discouraging kids all their lives from fighting, even defending themselves, with a PC zero-tolerance policy of playing nice?

So many male students and no one to physically attack that POS.

It is a poor reflection on us that, in those first critical seconds where one has to make a decision, only an elderly Holocaust survivor, Professor Librescu, understood instinctively the obligation to act.

Murderous misfit loners are mercifully rare. But this awful corrosive passivity is far more pervasive, and, unlike the psycho killer, is an existential threat to a functioning society. http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzEzYzQ0Y2MyZjNlNjY1ZTEzMTA0MGRmM2EyMTQ0NjY

Instead of teaching students to defend their beliefs, American educators shield them from vigorous intellectual debate. Instead of encouraging autonomy, our higher institutions of learning stoke passivity and conflict-avoidance.

And as the erosion of intellectual self-defense goes, so goes the erosion of physical self-defense. http://www.townhall.com/columnists/...eMalkin&dt=04/18/2007&page=full&comments=true

Cerise

Home-bred terrorism. This wasn't terrorism, home-bred or otherwise.

He wanted to get even with "society" with months of deliberate planning. He blended his vendetta with religious imagery. It didn't seem like he just went postal.

Not the brand of terrorism we see from Al Qaeda, but terrorism IMO.

MrBishop

Gun control only controls law obiding citizens, not criminals.

Cho knew his victims wouldn't be able to defend themselves because they were on state property.

But haven't we been discouraging kids all their lives from fighting, even defending themselves, with a PC zero-tolerance policy of playing nice?

So many male students and no one to physically attack that POS.
You weren't there...for all we know, several of the people with multiple gun-shot wounds lying in a morgue did just that...try and rush the guy.

But frankly, if someone's packing hardware and shooting up the place...self preservation is a good thing. Heroism is not just bravery...it's bravery and opportunity. If nobody was close enough to act, they could be the bravest or most foolhearty of the school...but there's SFA they could've done short of adding to the death count. :shrug:

MrBishop

He wanted to get even with "society" with months of deliberate planning. He blended his vendetta with religious imagery. It didn't seem like he just went postal.

Not the brand of terrorism we see from Al Qaeda, but terrorism IMO.
He wanted to get even with over a decade of ridicule. He blended his vendetta with a whole whack of stuff...religion being one of them.

Depends on your definition of terrorism, I guess...but to me, it sounds like you're sweeping far too many things under that particular rug and the lump's beginning to show.

MrBishop

Lemme ask a question - anyone can answer.

If the laws had been reversed...and anyone with a license could bring a weapon to school... why would you want to?

Forget about VA Tech for a second. You're a University student..you're paying big bucks to learn topic X...get a degree. Why would you bring a gun to school?

Scenario - in the near future (bizarro world) - guns get OKd in school... you hear gunshots (OMG!) and pull out your gun and rush towards the scene. There's a guy with a Glock shooting at someone to your left... Here's your chance to be a hero. You cap his ass. Wo0t!

As you go over to secure the SOB, someone shoots you (damn, he had a partner). You're hurt, but shoot back. You get a few shots off before you get hit again from the right this time. etc etc...

Total dead, only 4. Wo0t! 28 potential victims saved!

'cept that the four dead were the students responding to their 'call of duty' to a car's backfire...and those that shot them were other students just like them.

THE PROBLEM WITH SCHOOL SHOOTERS AND OTHER SUCH INCIDENTS IS THAT THE BAD GUYS DON'T WEAR SIGNS SAYING SUCH AND PERFECTLY INNOCENT PEOPLE OFTEN WEAR MILITARY CLOTHES, OR GOTH GEAR, OR BLACK TRENCH COATS etc etc...

If guns are illegal, only criminals have them.
If guns are legal, every person can have one (including psychos like Mr VA-Tech, and his kind...not to mention all the undiscovered idiots and psychos out there)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Protection.

People on campus taking classes may be police or military or lifelong armed civilains. Nobody is gonna shoot for an auto backfire. That would be criminal negligence.

Guns are a tool. I recently heard some gun advocate say there are studies suggesting that over 200,000 acts of violence are stopped every year by someone with a gun. That sounds high...let's knock it down to 10% of that. 20,000 acts of violence are stopped. Guns are a good tool.

This character knew that he was facing ZERO opposition on campus because people who are afraid of guns have taken them out of the hands of the law abiding citizen. See how well gun control works? Nobody was able to stop him.

As far as terrorism goes...let's not overuse the term. It weakens it. This character was a criminal, plain & simple.