Wisdom Teeth...

Starya

My top two are fully out, and the bottom two only broke the surface, then stopped. I've been advised to remove at least one of the bottom teeth, and was planning to follow that advise, just haven't gotten around to it. Being partially covered makes them harder to clean, and aparantly one of them has a cavity (that I have never taken notice of, so I'm gonna have my new and improved dentist check it out again). Now I suspect one of the top teeth must go. Either it grew yet a little, or there is swelling around it, either way it's poking into the skin, restrictig how much I can move the jaw.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Ku'u...they sometimes just numb you?! HOLY HELL!!! I was gassed when I got mine done (when they shut the gas off and I was "coming down" from the high it actually felt like i was floating above the chair and slowing floating back down to the chair, it was awesome!! Most people I know have actually got anesthetic and been completely out for it...that seems a little extreme to me but it seems pretty common.

tonksy

The numb you only for the top ones. Those come out relatively easy. It's the bottom ones that they gas you for.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The numb you only for the top ones. Those come out relatively easy. It's the bottom ones that they gas you for.

Ah, gotcha. I had too much pain to figure out whether it was coming from the top or bottom :D

tonksy

I know what you mean. I had mine pulled in the Navy.
I had to have one top one pulled early due to the fact that it was keeping me from being able to open my mouth and they only numbed me. The others were pulled later with gas.

Starya

The common thing here is to just numb you. Gas is often used if the patient has anxiety. The Critter had a period where he was scared shitless of going to the dentist (because of some quack who couldn't handle kids), and got treatment with gas twice. After that he didn't need it anymore.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The common thing here is to just numb you. Gas is often used if the patient has anxiety. The Critter had a period where he was scared shitless of going to the dentist (because of some quack who couldn't handle kids), and got treatment with gas twice. After that he didn't need it anymore.

We're just talking wisdom teeth...I dunno about the states but all other procedures here (ie. pulling other teeth and filling cavities) is just done with local numbing.

RDX

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed a couple of years ago with local numbing. They gave me the choice, and I thought it would be fine. I'll tell you now, it wasn't fine.

BlurOfSerenity

:eek5: some of you just got NUMBED and GASSED?!?!?! *faints*
i cant imagine that... they have to completely knock me out! like, give me a needle in my arm and make me go sleepytime!
then again i have very very bad anxiety about it. (nitrous oxide has almost no effect on calming me).

and i have to go back to get my top wisdom teeth out :crap:

FluerVanderloo

Yeah, all four are coming out. I have a consult with the oral surgeon on July 2, then I'll schedule the surgery.

As for the procedure, I want the gas. It's my very first surgery of any sort, and I'm already getting anxious. I don't want to remember any of it, honestly.

Starya

He? Oh, good golly, you think I was talking about the Critters wisdom teeth? No, his have a few more years before they're expected to make an appearance. Sorry for the mix-up: the first two sentences are about wisdom teeth in general, the rest is just me getting side-tracked. ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as Tonks (and also thinking it was weird to have more than 2 procedures for wisdom teeth) but figured I'd ask the questions before jumping to conclusions.

Winky

When my kid was 11 the bastards that wanted a new beemer
said that they were gonna dig in there and cut out his wizdumb teeth AND
put in a palate spreader and other assorted crap. (years of braces)

I let nature take its course and now nine years later his back molars
are cumming in just fine. Hes an adult if he wants to get em yanked
its a simple process, Flu let em come in and get em yanked.

Winky

That is what I've bee tryin' to tell you all over this thread!

You gotta go through all the fun of letting them come in first, then get em yanked.

It is ugly in the extreme (and expensive oral surgery)
if you let em cut open yer gums and dig em out
before they've come in!!!

BlurOfSerenity

yeeeeah.... unless letting them come in nullifies years and thousands of dollars of dental work. and also, sometimes when they cant' come in right, they can get bad infections.

the potential that wisdom teeth have to do damage is often undermined.