yardwork shocker

unclehobart

Gato_Solo said:
Scratch that. I just googled, and it looks like an immature copperhead.

acontortrixsm.jpg

Be afraid. Be very afraid. You're quite lucky not to get bitten thrusting your camera at it.
Not a chance of that happening. I have a rally neato camera. I set it on max size and max resolution and held back to the full edge of the macro feature.. about 18 inches. Snakes have a general strike range of about half their body length. I was 3 times that distance. Also, I used the little LED window to show me what I was looking at from a distance. There was no way in H-E-double toothpicks that I was going to stick my face next to it. A large max res shot comes out as about a 2square yards in size on a 17 inch monitor. What youre seeing here is about 10% of the original shot all trimmed away nice and neat.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Two words, LL...Weapons Safety... Where'd your bullets go after the avacados fell?

Unc...most pit vipers, of which Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Rattlesnakes are in the family, are coilers. That means that they can strike out to their entire length if hard-pressed. You're thinking about Cobras, which can only strike downwards because they rear up... :eek:

Jeslek

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
Two words, LL...Weapons Safety... Where'd your bullets go after the avacados fell?

I was waiting for that lol. It was a BB gun, and there was a creek across the tree where people didn't usually walk. :D And a bb gun pellet falling at terminal velocity will not even make a hole in sand ;)

Jeslek

Banned
Gato_Solo said:

Unc...most pit vipers, of which Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Rattlesnakes are in the family, are coilers. That means that they can strike out to their entire length if hard-pressed. You're thinking about Cobras, which can only strike downwards because they rear up... :eek:

I don't live with snakes. Sorry. Either they go or I go, and it is unlikely that I will go. Snakes feel nice and are cute though.

unclehobart

Gato_Solo said:

He wasn't hard pressed. He was just trying to nap it out in the 70 degree weather. He was still pretty much out of it and probably a little too cold to go apeshit on me. I also didn't corner him or threaten him.... heck... I continued to trim the bush he was under and paid him no mind. He didn't move more than 3 inches in that 40 min.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I did capitalize, hence putting emphasis, on PROBABLY:D

Copperheads are sluggish and rarely bite, unless stepped on or touched.
from your link.

don't be a wuss, watch a few hours of Crocodile Hunter & learn the technique for picking up snakes of venomous varieties & move him to the nearest rabbit hole.:behead:

Gato_Solo

I, personally, have no fear of snakes. They have their place in the world just as we humans do. Most snakes are harmless, and the most deadly ones only bite if startled or provoked. The only thing is that most folks don't know when they are provoking the snake, or don't know that the snake is there. Immature venemous snakes are frightened by anything bigger than they are, hence the warning to unc. Once they get larger, however, they become less frightened. This still isn't a problem because they'd rather run than 'waste' any venom on something as large as a human. Venom is for prey.

Short story...

One day me and a buddy of mine were walking along the jogging path at Howard AFB in Panama, looking at the wildlife. After a bit, he stopped and kept looking up in the trees. I asked him what he was doing, and he started talking about tree snakes. Turns out he had this phobia about tree snakes only (I saw him grab a 15 foot boa in his carport without a problem). I ribbed him about it for a while, and we continued on. I had a small vine in my hand about 5 minutes later, and flipped it over his shoulder...I believe you can guess the rest. He must have scared every animal in a 3 mile radius with that scream... :laugh: :joy: :laugh:

unclehobart

The nearest rabbit hole is all of 15 feet away. The chipmunks are 15 feet the other way. He knows what hes doing. hes just waiting for nightfall when all of the little chipmunks are nice and tuckered out... then, WHAM! He descends upon them like the Moorlocks in HG Wells 'Time Machine'.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That camera of yours got pretty good low-light resolution? I'd love to see some pics of that.

unclehobart

It does great low light resolutions. It just requires like a 4 second exposure time as it clicks off about 30 frames and then compresses it all together. I STILL dont own a tripod after all this time and can't do the long exposure thing very well. I do remember taking some shots of the night sky last winter when jupiter was only one degree away from the moon. They came out just fine. I also don't have the particular high pro flashgun attachments that they want to strobe out the truly dark shots. My wish list also has a macro lens flash attachment... its sooo easy for an 800$ camera to become a 3000$ mega momma hoarding project.

MitchSchaft

That is definately a copperhead. I've ran into more than a few. And juvenile copperheads are more venemous than the adult kind. If letting off a couple rounds into that snake is illegal in your neighborhood, then you ought to buy a decent BB gun for that such an occasion. I'm not crazy like my dad, but he would actually pick it up with his hands, then slice his head off with his knife. I've seen him do that a few times. Having a poisonous snake around your house isn't my idea of safety.

HomeLAN

Rob, if you don't kill that sumbitch, I will NOT set foot on your property again. Computer's broken? Pack it up and bring it over.

You know my feelings about snakes.

kuulani

I hate snakes and I HATE the people who illegally sneak snakes into Hawaii even more. I wish they'd all DIE. :grumpy:

Gato_Solo

Ku'u...for someone who loves the eco-system so much, you have a bad view of snakes. I realize that they are not native to Hawai'i, but, here on the mainland, they are very important.

You were talking about the snakes, weren't you? ;)

kuulani

My love of the Hawaiian environment is the reason I HATE snakes.

Even if they are good for your environment, they aren't good for ours. We've learned that lesson harshly when people brought in mongoose to try to control the rat population. Bad idea.

We've learned that lesson when people brought the coqui tree fogs. Good in Jamaica, bad in Hawaii.

I could go on ...