ABB

Altron said:
There's two camps on this one. Back in the early 1800s, they were called Federalists and Democratic Republicans.

Federalists believe that anything not specifically banned by the Constitution is acceptable. Well-known Federalists are people like Alexander Hamilton and John Adams. They believed in a very powerful federal government.

Democratic Republicans (not to be confused with the current Democrats and Republicans) believe that anything not specifically allowed by the Constitution is banned. The most well-known Democratic Republican was Thomas Jefferson. He believed in a relatively weak federal government, where individual states had the power to govern themselves.

I personally follow Jefferson's idealogy, but most people do not. The current Democratic and Republican parties do not.

ok, a history lesson, but still no proof that Fema is illegal

Deanril said:
We also pay bush(I dont know why....) by Altron's definition, "by doing so, broke the law".

Show me in the Constitution where it says we have to pay bush? Show me where its illeagal to J-walk in the Constitution.

You see..... your statements are inaccurate, highly inaccurate.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

The Constitution does not say it is illegal to J-walk. A FEDERAL law prohibiting J-walking would be an unconstitutional law. A STATE law prohibiting J-walking would be a constitutional law.

Altron said:
The Constitution does not say it is illegal to J-walk. A FEDERAL law prohibiting J-walking would be an unconstitutional law. A STATE law prohibiting J-walking would be a constitutional law.

I don't see how a consitution stops the federal Gov't from making laws.

Deanril said:
Show me in the Constitution where it says we have to pay bush?

Article II Section 1 said:
The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

How about saying something of value instead of posting silly pictures that are really old & silly.

paul_valaru said:
I don't see how a consitution stops the federal Gov't from making laws.

The Constitution limits the power of the Federal Government. Creating new & unusual branches that affect other local sources (Dept of Education, FEMA) is arguably unconstitutional. It may only make laws that are federal in status.

Leslie said:
So wait. Bush utilized FEMA, which is apparently against the law. So he CAN be impeached!!!

Of course. Every single president ever elected and the one who wasn't elected (Ford) can be impeached.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

But impeachment does not mean removal from office. The Senate must convict the President to remove him from office.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

So, yes, he CAN be impeached and removed if Congress decides to.

Gonz said:
Local laws, not federal.

Want to get technical? Fine where does it say in the Constitution that a Business is not aloud to emit green house gases? This is a Federal Law.

Gonz said:
The Constitution limits the power of the Federal Government. Creating new & unusual branches that affect other local sources (Dept of Education, FEMA) is arguably unconstitutional.

FEMA and Dept of Education take power away from the States that rightfully belongs to the States, which is unconstitutional.

Deanril said:
Want to get technical? Fine where does it say in the Constitution that a Business is not aloud to emit green house gases? This is a Federal Law.

YOu're right. The EPA is horseshit & the single worse move that Nixon made.

Gonz said:
The Constitution limits the power of the Federal Government. Creating new & unusual branches that affect other local sources (Dept of Education, FEMA) is arguably unconstitutional. It may only make laws that are federal in status.

Thank you, an intelligent response.

but it is arguably, hence not illegal, but can be taken to court if one wished, so still undecided (hence not illegal)

paul_valaru said:
dude YOU called it illegal.

show me the law they broke. I need a clause not a stupid answer like "look at the consitution" but where in the consitution that says "you shall not create federal agancies"

The Constitution does not say that it's legal. Therefore, it is not legal. There does not need to be a specific clause prohibiting it. Because there is not a specific clause allowing it, it is prohibited.

paul_valaru said:
Thank you, an intelligent response.

but it is arguably, hence not illegal, but can be taken to court if one wished, so still undecided (hence not illegal)

nor is it necessarily legal. somebody needs to present a legitimate legal challenge.

utoh

FEMA does not respond to every disaster that occurs in the U.S. It
responds only when a disaster overwhelms a state's resources and the
governor requests federal help. Once damage assessments are made, the
President may issue a federal disaster declaration, opening the way for
the federal government to pay for disaster recovery.

turns out they only resond when asked by the state. hence LEGAL.

Altron said:
The Constitution does not say that it's legal. Therefore, it is not legal. There does not need to be a specific clause prohibiting it. Because there is not a specific clause allowing it, it is prohibited.

then....

the air force and (insert anything that is not in the constitution here) is illegal

cause it is not in the consitution

FEMA would fall under the very badly written and blurry way too open for interpretation line "The General Welfare of the United States".

Leslie said:
FEMA would fall under the very badly written and blurry line "The General Welfare of the United States".

But it's not the General Welfare. Katrina did not do anything to the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast. It only affected a small area in the Southeast.

paul_valaru said:
utoh

turns out they only resond when asked by the state. hence LEGAL.

Full circle. The Governor & Mayor of LA & NO both said "Nope...Not Yet...Stay Out"

Back