Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The "Hail Mary" - I hope we won't get pregnant, method

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

MrBishop

In honour of Palin

WASHINGTON - Programs that focus exclusively on abstinence have not been shown to affect teenager sexual behavior, although they are eligible for tens of millions of dollars in federal grants, according to a study released by a nonpartisan group that seeks to reduce teen pregnancies."At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.

The report, which was based on a review of research into teenager sexual behavior, was being released Wednesday by the nonpartisan National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy

The study found that while abstinence-only efforts appear to have little positive impact, more comprehensive sex education programs were having "positive outcomes" including teenagers "delaying the initiation of sex, reducing the frequency of sex, reducing the number of sexual partners and increasing condom or contraceptive use."

"Two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavior effect," said the report.

A spending bill before Congress for the Department of Health and Human Services would provide $141 million in assistance for community-based, abstinence-only sex education programs, $4 million more than what President Bush had requested.

The study, conducted by Douglas Kirby, a senior research scientist at ETR Associates, also sought to debunk what the report called "myths propagated by abstinence-only advocates" including: that comprehensive sex education promotes promiscuity, hastens the initiative of sex or increases its frequency, and sends a confusing message to adolescents.
None of these was found to be accurate, Kirby wrote.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21670758/

So... what kind of anti-pregnancy method works for you, and what do you teach your children?

*PLS note: Anti-pregnancy and not birth-control. Hence the reason why abortion's not on the list.

I am fixed.

I will teach my children what sex is and what can come of it: pregnancies, diseases, and at the very least bad reputations. I would like to think they would obstain but I am pragmatic enough to know that that is not always going to work.
My kids are young though...I may change my tune as they get older.

I'm thinking that I'll be able to push 'abstinence' only so far. Being pragmatic about my control over my kids, they'll be told about Condoms early and often. There are worst things that you can get from sex than a baby...much worst!

My wife has an implant.

As for what will we teach the (non existant as of now) children, I think it will be more on the lines of knowledge about sex and self respect.

i picked "other"... multiple methods because i am very paranoid! (not the least of which is, actually, abstinence)

i am going to teach my kids that if they are going to have sex, they need to do it more safely, for the sake of preventing diseases as well as preventing pregnancy. i plan to be frank with them about it... yes, it's something to be curious about, but in a lot of ways, it's not worth it.

on an interesting note... i remember a few years ago reading an article in seventeen magazine, about a high school in, like, michigan or something, that has the highest rate of teen pregnancy... and abstinence-only education.
but i do think that when it comes down to it, it's up to the parents to inform their own children. if school isn't going to tell my kids how to keep themselves comparitively safe if they feel they must experiment, i damn well better, and i plan on it.

I put condoms but the last time I was having sex I was using condoms and the pill inconjunction. I stopped the pill and plan to get an IUD eventually.

Other
Nature has taken its course with her.
We have no kids so thats not an issue here.

Abstinence works every time it's tried.
As such..when it's used, it works 100% of the time...but when it fails, it fails spectacularly.

Horny kids who gave up on the idea of abstinence, and have no information of how to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies and STDs. or worst...have false information.

I distinctly remember being dumbfounded once when i overheard one girl on a bus seat behind me tell another that she couldn't get pregnant if she stood up after sex. It took all I had to NOT turn around and correct her.

Where DO they get this crap information?

I remember having to tell someone old enough to know better that the morning-after pill had a fairly high fail rate and that that is why he shouldn't be relying on it as birth control. OMG PONIES!!!!111 :retard:

Umm... yeah, the morning-after pill is also known as "Plan B" and there's a reason for that.

Back