America's Oil Addiction

Professur

Oooo. Not. A better BioDiesel would be from peanut or soy oil, anyways. Ethanol is the refined product of fermentation, and has little to do with it's feed source. I doubt either could trigger your allergies.

Winky

heh heh heh nah it's the ethanol (or the nasty MTBE)
that they are a puttin' in yer gas now to reduce emissions

Inkara1

unclehobart said:
Bah. Real biodiesel comes from oily teenager faces. Harvesting that should keep us going for the forseeable future.

DAMN IT!!!!! Now I've got the Kentucky Fried Movie stuck in my head!

Winky

Hey I'm addicted to cheap energy

"its worked so far but we’re not out yet”

'Pure Energy'

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
My first lesson in liberal spin. The Carter Admiinstration & their scientific friends screaming that, by 2000-give or take, we'd be out of oil. (that and we were (are?) heading into an ice age)

Winky

Hell by then we will have evolved into non-corporeal beings fer Christ sakes!

Wheel all be fricken Q

Winky

Breeder reactors

Depleted uranium is not usable directly as nuclear fuel. Depleted uranium can be used as a source material for creating the element plutonium. Breeder reactors carry out such a process of transmutation to convert "fertile" isotopes such as U-238 into fissile plutonium. It has been estimated that there is anywhere from 10,000 to five billion years worth of Uranium-238 for use in these power plants

u.JPG

Professur

Willie Nelson introduces BioWillie soybean diesel fuel to California

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Country singer Willie Nelson introduced BioWillie, his brand of clean-burning fuel made from soybeans, to California on Wednesday.

BioWillie went on sale at an alternative fuel station in San Diego, where the 72-year-old singer drew a crowd as he filled his tour bus from a pump emblazoned with a picture of himself strumming a guitar. "It is the future," Nelson said.

"Through biodiesel, we can reduce dependency on foreign oil and adopt an energy source that's clean, renewable and helps family farmers find new uses for their products."

Actress Daryl Hannah, who drives a biodiesel-powered black Chevrolet El Camino, joined the singer at Pearson Ford Fuel Depot, where drivers can also fill up on propane, ethanol and natural gas.

Biodiesel is the fastest growing alternative fuel in the United States, the U.S. Department of Energy said. U.S. sales of biodiesel tripled last year to 284 million litres but account for less than one per cent of diesel fuel sold, said Jenna Higgins, a spokeswoman for the National Biodiesel Board, which is hosting a conference on biodiesel in San Diego.

More than 600 filling stations in the United States sell biodiesel to the public.

Nelson first learned about biodiesel three years ago when his wife, Annie, purchased a biodiesel-burning car in Hawaii, where the star has a home. The biodiesel that powered her Volkswagen Jetta was made from grease collected from restaurants. He bought a diesel Mercedes and then began filling his tour buses with biodiesel.

After filling up the singer's bus in Dallas in December 2004, biodiesel supplier Peter Bell persuaded Nelson to go into business and lend his name and image to help the little-known fuel gain wider acceptance. But Bell said he has been surprised to see the singer devoting much of his time to the cause.

"He shows up at a gas station," Bell said, glancing at the crowd surrounding the singer.

"He believes in it 100 per cent."

The BioWillie brand, known as B20 is a blend of 80 per cent petroleum diesel and 20 per cent biodiesel, made from soybean oil, which Nelson stressed was produced by U.S. farmers. Nelson organized Farm Aid charity concerts two decades ago to draw attention to the plight of the U.S. family farm.

In addition to California, BioWillie is now sold in Texas, South Carolina and Georgia and distributed through Oklahoma City-based Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores. The partnership Nelson formed with Bell and three others, Biodiesel Venture GP, LLC, was acquired in November by Texas-based Earth Biofuels.

Source

chcr

Too cute for words
Winky said:
Hell by then we will have evolved into non-corporeal beings fer Christ sakes!

Wheel all be fricken Q
What, you mean assholes? It appears that some of us have already "moved on." :rofl:

Winky

Actress Daryl Hannah, who drives a biodiesel-powered black Chevrolet El Camino,
joined the singer at Pearson Ford Fuel Depot, where drivers can also fill up on propane, ethanol and natural gas.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As dumb as that sounds, I can appreciate her convictions. She is willing to suffer for them.

MrBishop

Professur said:
Oooo. Not. A better BioDiesel would be from peanut or soy oil, anyways.

Nope, but the exhaust would have kids reaching for their epipens wherever you drive.

Professur

MrBishop said:
Nope, but the exhaust would have kids reaching for their epipens wherever you drive.

I've yet to see any tests on wether peanut alergies extend to exhaust fumes. Not that I really give a rat's ass either way. Like I told the school board when they tried to ban peanut butter sandwiches in school "If their alergies are that bad, they can either medicate themselves, or go live in a bubble". I've alergies to pollen, but I don't see anyone clear cutting parks for my benefit.