an important message .. the buddy system

greenfreak

I know Dart and Huge are the closest to me but they don't post all that much and don't have my address or phone so that wouldn't work.

I think I would be more comfortable with the admin of the site having the information only in case of emergency. That way, if you don't have any buddies, you don't need to depend on another member.

nalani

flavio said:
I don't see why you have to be so hostile. I'm going to assume your just a little touchy about this.

a little touchy? Posting a thoughtful thread about a person I care about then having a jerk with attitude respond the way you did tends to make people more than a little touchy.

You said you were going to drop it so do it. I pray the day never comes that you have actual feelings for someone and worry about them then have the kind of response from another like you did. That's all I have to say to you. On any level. If you have any kind of human decency whatsoever, you will do as you said you would several posts ago and drop it.

nalani

I like that idea of having a place to put that info in your user CP as long as it's confidential for the admin. Is that do-able, flurf or sammy?

flavio

Banned
nalani said:
flavio said:
I don't see why you have to be so hostile. I'm going to assume your just a little touchy about this.

a little touchy? Posting a thoughtful thread about a person I care about then having a jerk with attitude respond the way you did tends to make people more than a little touchy.

You said you were going to drop it so do it. I pray the day never comes that you have actual feelings for someone and worry about them then have the kind of response from another like you did. That's all I have to say to you. On any level. If you have any kind of human decency whatsoever, you will do as you said you would several posts ago and drop it.

What I was going to drop was asking for the screename or board that the person was from...and I did.

But then you had to go and insult me and start the name calling when all I did was try to help.

jerk with attitude respond the way you did

So maybe you could point out where I was a jerk? The way I see it I tried to get some information that might be helpful, you got secretive and defensive about it, I dropped it, then you called me an asshole, I let it go, chalking it up to you being touchy about the situation, and then you continued to insult me.

nalani

thank you everyone, well, most everyone - those who aren't on my "ignore" list and have a lot of human decency anyway - for all the great ideas on the buddy system.

This whole situation with this missing friend is a tough one and I'm one of the last ones, online anyway, to have heard from him. Most of us here are lucky in that we have rt friends who frequent or we have friends here that keep in contact via telephone ... I would hate for any of us to go through this here.

flavio

Banned
I'm still kinda offended at being called all the names and even lacking "human decency". Could you maybe just explain where I was a jerk?

I'm trying to be polite about this.

Q

I'm kinda confused about the hostile response to flav too, na. You're obviously very concerned about your friend...but I don't think flav was trying to be insensitive or make light of the situation.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Samb0nium has my cell phone number, and I have samb0nium's cell phone number. I'd usually call him if I knew I was gonna be out for an extended period of time.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
nalani said:
I like that idea of having a place to put that info in your user CP as long as it's confidential for the admin. Is that do-able, flurf or sammy?
It's doable but will only be effective if people participate. Meaning, it'd be kinda corny to all of a sudden receive a call asking "The people of OTC miss you. Are you dead or something?" from a deep-voiced 17 year old, so while it can technically be done, it's up to the people to determine whether they'd risk being scarred for life from hearing me talk and make it a reality. :beerbang:

Stop Laughing

fury, my brother has your SN on his AIM buddy list (so I don't give Mark's whole SN away, it ends in 520 so you won't reject the message), so if anything ever did happen to me, I'm sure he'd at least inform you and I'm sure you'd spread the word. He also does have access to my E-mail account as does my mother, just in case.

AlladinSane

fury said:
It's doable but will only be effective if people participate. Meaning, it'd be kinda corny to all of a sudden receive a call asking "The people of OTC miss you. Are you dead or something?" from a deep-voiced 17 year old, so while it can technically be done, it's up to the people to determine whether they'd risk being scarred for life from hearing me talk and make it a reality.
In my case for sure I wouldn't post a phone line, because my mother doesn't speak english. Instead a friend's e-mail address, his name and my real name...

greenfreak

Didn't there used to be something at JJR512 that you could set your status to "away" if you were going on vacation or going to be off the board for a bit? If that's the case, it's another option so that if someone does elect to give their personal information, they're responsible for setting their status so they don't get unneccessary phone calls.

FTR, you can call me *anytime* fury. I would love to hear a deep voiced 17 year old. :)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Thats part of the problem with the 'missing person'. The other forum has that feature and he, being a mod, was well aware. But he said nothing....and never changed his status to 'away'. :crying3: Its really not like this guy. I'm worried too.

greenfreak

That's what I'm saying, all the signs point to something happening that was beyond his control, preventing him from posting. At least if it's a valid absence, we can handle that ourselves to prevent unneccessary worry and phone calls from the admin.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Yeah...if my computer died today, it would probably be a while before I could log in again...It would be good to have a contact. nalani has my number, so I guess I'm in good hands...:D

tommyj27

Not really Banned
if something happened to me i would hope that nnewton would say something. if both of us disappear, we probably went too far....

freako104

greenfreak said:
Didn't there used to be something at JJR512 that you could set your status to "away" if you were going on vacation or going to be off the board for a bit

yes there was.maybe that would work here?