an important message .. the buddy system

nalani

I know this may seem silly to some people, but I feel it's important enough to bring to everyone's attention.

You know, most of us have never met face to face ... but we come to our computers, log in to OTC, notice who's online and sometimes we catch ourselves saying "hey! so-and-so is here! alright!" or "I hope so-and-so is there so I can ask a question" ... things of that nature. Basically, we speak of each other as if we were no more than a mile or so away. Friendships are made here and though they may be virtual, they are friendships nonetheless.

So what's my point? Well, if you're someone who frequents the board - or any forum, for that matter - please make sure there's at least one person in your rt life who knows what boards you frequent and your user name. Why would this be important? On another board that I post at, there's a person who is *missing* ... he's a mod and has always taken his responsibilities seriously. He last posted on January 2 and we have not heard from him - not even via email. I know three weeks may not be cause for alarm but this guy posted almost every day. Before he *disappeared* he didn't say anything about going on vacation or being gone for a while. We simple don't know where he is. And I'm worried.

Some of us have "partners" on the boards, as if we use the "buddy system" ... like, if HomeLAN were to disappear from the boards for a while, we can ask Unc .. or if I didn't come around for a while, ku'u and miki are there to ask ... so, if you don't have a "partner" on the board, please let at least one person in your rt life know so that, if anything happens to you, that person can let the board know.

Many of you here on the board I consider my "friend"... not "virtual friend", not "computer friend", just friend ... and if anything happened to you, the pain would be no easier than if you actually lived in hometown.

nalani

I called all 8 phone numbers listed under his name - 3 were disconnected and 5 were dead ends. I haven't PM'd CB yet, but I'm thinking about it ... I'm still hoping she tried to call him.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, brainsoft is registered here and at xibase.

Even though he doesn't visit anymore I'll be sure to mention to him that if anything happens to me he is to inform everyone here :)

nalani

thank you Nixy .. I know it may seem morbid to some, but think of how you would feel is one of us disappeared without word ... :)

nalani

Here's another suggestion .. if there is no one in your rt that you'd trust with that information or that you'd like to give that info to, give it to the administrator of the site ... or one of the mods ... that way, at least there's some way to attempt to get a hold of you if need be.

Ardsgaine

I know what you mean, Na. I lost a friend who lived in the UK. Fortunately, her mom had someone go through her computer and notify her friends. That's how we found out she'd been killed. :(

If anything happens to me, I've got Jan and to let you guys know...

flavio

Banned
The reason I asked was that I was kinda hoping for more information than that.

I suppose it's a secret?

nalani

Is there a reason you need more information? It's not a secret to those who frequent that board.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I think na is just being polite by not offering his personal info. He is a 'live-in' mod at another forum who seldom leaves the boards for sleep much less this long.

BlurOfSerenity

i'll be jjr512 and theinnersanctom (lol, just in case he turns into a big noticeable poster!)'s buddy :)
i'll ask them to be mine.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
so ash is jjr gonna post some here? he's got some friends here that are asking.:confuse2:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
sorry NA, my buds would be fury, gonz, 75renegade and if we can ever drag him from work wine4all.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to put that down somewhere to let you peeps know. I'll tell you this though, if I'm not here for a week, and I haven't told you all anything before leaving, I'm probably dead.