are you one of them yankees?

unclehobart

Jebus H Christmas!

The Waffle House locator shows restaurants in:

Colorado
Delaware
Pennsylvania

Delaware.... DELAWARE!! fer crissakes!

This might be the first volley of the second Civil War.

catocom

unclehobart said:
We saw a Waffle House in ~northern Virginia if not in Maryland... which means that grits would have to be on the menu.
well yeah, I consider everything "due east" and round up the coast up to
th Va border to be south.

catocom

unclehobart said:
Jebus H Christmas!

Colorado
Delaware
Pennsylvania

:rofl:

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
well yeah, I consider everything "due east" and round up the coast up to
th Va border to be south.

After all, the Mason-Dixon Line was originally the border between PA an WV.

catocom

chcr said:
Actually cat, here in TN they consider Kentucky to be the border state.

I thought you were in Al. :confused:
well yeah I guess Kentucky is more the border. I forgot about them. :swing:
I should pull a map up before making some statements I guess.

Shit I used to think Ohio was out toward Kansas for a long time, cause as unc said
it's sometimes considered a midwest state. :retard2:

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
Shit I used to think Ohio was out toward Kansas for a long time, cause as unc said
it's sometimes considered a midwest state. :retard2:

When you're from New York, Ohio is a midwest state. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I grew up with scattered smothered & covered...Waffle Houses in Arizona.

Potato Bug

Crawdads (learned that one in my year in Texas)

Oh may be midwestern but PA & IN are "the Crosssroads of America" while the buckeye isn't...figure that one out.

greenfreak

Besides living in Florida for 9 months, I've lived in New Yawk all my life. And have a pretty heavy accent to show for it.

"48% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category."

Yea ok. :shrug:

chcr

Too cute for words
greenfreak said:
Besides living in Florida for 9 months, I've lived in New Yawk all my life. And have a pretty heavy accent to show for it.

"48% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category."

Yea ok. :shrug:
You're not working hard enough at it. When was the last time you insulted somebody's mother? :lol:

greenfreak

That wasn't one of the questions. :p

But I will tell you that I've been made fun of by waitresses in Massachussetts and Florida when I asked for water. I actually do pronounce it "wauh-dah". I wear my NY accent like a badge of honor, I don't give a shit what other people think. :D

I love accents, I love listening to them for nuances. Some of my users are in Arlington Virginia and have the thickest drawls you've ever heard. I can't help but talk like them when I'm on the phone with em. I call them my southern gentleman, they are the nicest guys and I love calling them.

Dave

greenfreak said:
I wear my NY accent like a badge of honor, I don't give a shit what other people think.
i used to be like that about my Bawstin accent. working with a large group of people who are hard of hearing and with the other half of my family speking english as a second language has forced me to enunciate a bit more clearly. judging from the number of people that have asked me where i am from originally, i'm guessing the accent is pretty watered down now. either that or i picked up part of her accent.

chcr

Too cute for words
greenfreak said:
I wear my NY accent like a badge of honor, I don't give a shit what other people think. :D

Damned right! F*ck 'em and feed 'em beans.

People always have trouble with my "accent." I grew up upstate in New York, very different accent from what most people think of as the New York accent, then lived in Arizona for fifteen years off and on. Now I've lived here for thirteen. All of those various colloquialisms get mixed and matched when I talk.

HomeLAN

I've been told I don't have too much of any accent unless I'm drinking. Then the Southern creeps out.

Parents from Ohio and living the last 30 years in GA will do that, I guess.

tonksy

i used to think you were a yankee if you lived north of I-10....'course i had to change my views when i moved here.

Inkara1

I used to get people asking me all the time if I was from Boston because of my "accent." Problem is I've never even been to Boston.

unclehobart said:
Jebus H Christmas!

Colorado
Delaware
Pennsylvania

But none in California :(

K62

Around here when somebody uses the term "Yankee", they are referring to any American.

greenfreak! Got a microphone? I have only ever heard an New Yawk accent on the TV. Or anybody else ?

FluerVanderloo

Lopan said:
Where does the North end and the south begin? I always thought tennesee was south but its not that far from Michigan and you can't get any further north than Michigan?

I consider Southern below the Mason-Dixon, but Confederate are only the states that seceded prior to the War for Southern Independence.

65% (Dixie). Just under the Mason-Dixon Line

I'm a very unhappy Marylander.

freako104

unclehobart said:
We saw a Waffle House in ~northern Virginia if not in Maryland... which means that grits would have to be on the menu.

Montgomery County doesnt have a WaffleHouse I can remember. I pass one in VA when I come to school tho.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
89% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

Which only proves this thing to be 11% off.

As to the debate about where Dixie starts and the rest of you stop...if they went with Lee in the War of Northern Aggression, they're Dixie to me so long as they're east of the Miss'sip. West of there, it's all the same except Cali, the land of fruits and nuts. North of Dixie, it's to be generally avoided at all costs. And God willing, I will nevermore venture further north than Harper's Ferry WV again, unless I get to hike the AT end to end someday.

As to the Tennessee thing...Tennessee, as any resident will tell you, is in reality three states. East, Middle, and West. West is very Democratic leaning, and has its own accents and culture. Middle is the melting pot in more ways than one, and tries for the most part to be anything except what it really is. East is Republican, conservative, and more succeptible to the ages-old stereotypes. To the naked eye at least. I still dare any one of you to come around here and tell some of my neighbors what lazy hillbillies they are.

As to accents. My first real job was as a radio announcer, and I won several public speaking contest in high school, so I most assuredly know the proper way to speak. I choose not to employ it. I am immensely proud of my Southern highlands/Appalachian heritage, and no PC stupid ass school teacher is gonna sit on her well-rounded donut fed ass and tell me my diction is wrong. As long as I am where I am, I talk just fine. And I intend to spend every moment possible right around here, so I ain't too worried about accents.

Lastly, to all the Europeans afoot: To you, all Americans are properly called Yanks. That's OK. Over there. Park yer ass at a Dixie waterin' hole, and call the locals Yanks, and it might be the last time. Emotions still run high in places, and thankfully in more every day. I see more and more of my neighbors getting more and more fed up. Now know that I live in a very rural area, and our Southern cities, shamefully, are so homogenized that a casual visitor might wonder if he is in Nashville or Hartford CT these days. Shame really.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. But you'll have hell trying to convince me of it. :D