As we scramble to ease our "guilty conscience"

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Once again, whites are trying to buy blacks

Even so, support is reaching beyond African-Americans and the South.

Katrina Browne, the white Episcopalian filmmaker, is finishing a documentary about her ancestors, the DeWolfs of Bristol, R.I., the biggest slave-trading family in U.S. history. She screened it for Episcopal Church officials at the June convention.

"Traces of the Trade: A Story From the Deep North," details how the economies of the Northeast and the nation as a whole depended on slaves.
"A lot of white people think they know everything there is to know about slavery — we all agree it was wrong and that's enough," Browne said. "But this was the foundation of our country, not some Southern anomaly. We all inherit responsibility."

At least someone gets part of it.

Unlimber that wallet, Gonz...looks like the buying and selling ain't over yet.

of course momentum is gaining. nothing gets the attention of large groups of people faster than the possibility of free money. except maybe free pron.

Nations dependent upon slavery soon go away. For all the cheap labor comes at a very high price. Upkeep, containment, oversight, decreased output, theft...mebbe that's why the Confederate states ALL included a passage about their freedom to slave trade in their Declarations of Rebellion.

do you mean LIVE IN THE NOW

fz57bp.jpg

sure, to some degree, but...

it just turns into some big bunch of imaginary whatnot at some level. reparations. back-to-africa movements based on a reconstructed and largely unreal "glorious past" in the old world where everyone was somehow morally upright and "honorable." yeah.

africans were neither the jungle-dwelling face-eating savages that they've frequently been protrayed as, nor the morally pure, cloaked in gold superstars that the back-to-africa folks imagine. just a bunch of dirt farmers like every other pre-industrial group of people.

what happened when the rastafarians showed up in ethiopia to talk to their man-god haile selassie? he asked "who the hell are these guys?" and refused to see them.

because all that shit was never real.

time to give it up, and move on. deal with the situation at hand instead of regressing into something imaginary.

Oh, I'll give money to descendents of slaves right as soon as my check from England for the American Revolution arrives in the mail. Damn transatlantic mail, it's been 230 years and 6 days and it still ain't here!

I was watching a fictional news report on the Dave Chapelle show a couple of years ago on what would happen if they actually did do reparations... "And in other news, shares of Sprint doubled after 5 million delinquent wireless accounts were paid off."

mine too.
then again, i shouldnt have to shell out any money anyways. i'm only 3rd generation in this country. my ancestors were still scattered to the 4 corners of europe back then.

chcr said:
Interestingly, my conscience is clear.

Mine too. No one, including my Confederate soldier ancestors, in this family tree ever owned a slave. Interestingly enough, none ever received a penny in veterans benefits after the WONA either. Seems they stood their ground and refused to sign the oath.

Men of character and principal. World needs more like 'em.

Should i be hiding too?

Didn't mean to insult anybody's ancestors. Just a theoretical question.

:toast:

Well, they wouldn't have won. 8th Ohio Regiment kickin' ass and takin' names. :p

Oh wait, does that mean that the CSA owes me reparations too?

spike said:
Had they won would slavery have lasted longer?

That's debatable. According to a few people that have posted here in the past, there would still be slaves to this day. Realistically, it probably would have stuck around a few extra years but worked its way out of the mainstream economy on its own. It probably would have ended about the same time as it did in the slave states that didn't secede.

spike said:
Had they won would slavery have lasted longer?

Fear not Gonzolic one...I'm gentler on the newbies. :D

No. It was in process of being eliminated when we were invaded illegally. As many scholars and a few on here have astutely noted, slavery lost money everywhere it has been instituted. With the developments in agricultural technology it would have become obsolete within fifteen years max. Had the South been given 1/10 the development in railroads as were already in place up yonder, or 1/20 what their raw goods paid for as it were, it would have already been on its way out when Fort Sumter occurred.

These discussions have been held on here ad nauseum. However, I will be more than pleased to answer anything you like in private message to spare the others the overwhelming need to bleach their eyeballs.

See there? Y'all get yer panties twisted over the slightest things. Worse than a bunch of bingo-obsessed octogenarians, I swear it! :laugh:

Yea, but it was a holy crusade to free the repressed massesand all that, so y'all immoral godless heathen rednecks need to quit yer bitchin!

W'all won, so git over it!

'cuz we're so much betta than you folks, 'cuz Hilary Clinton lives here! Y'all know that she's the bestest politician in the whole wide world. She decides what is in the best intrest of every person, assuming that that person has betta things to do than git a job and not live offa welfare!

Back