Beheading on a Greyhound bus

:hmm: Because it comes down to SEP. Somebody Else's Problem. That, and the "Don't get involved" ideal that permeates any society.

CTV said:
Caton gathered a small group of people to go back and help the victim, said CTV correspondent Murray Oliver in Winnipeg.
"They returned to the back of the bus to find that the person who was stabbing the person in the neck had now sawed off the head of (the victim)."
The man, with the head in one hand and the knife in the other, then tried to attack the other passengers, said Oliver.
The group was able to exit the bus and slammed the door behind them.

<snip>
"He cut (the victim's) head off and then walked up to the door holding it and just looked at them crazy-like and then dropped the head and walked back to the body and started cutting it some more," Olmstead told CTV News from outside a hotel in Brandon, Man., where he and other passengers were taken.
The man was left alone with the body and witnesses say that he performed further indignities to the victim.
"We have word from people on the scene . . . that when the killer was alone with the body . . . that there may have been some small acts of cannibalism on the body," Oliver said.
CTV

Why don't they give the drivers each a can of Mace?

It could incapacitate the attacker, it doesn't have to be that close... you can mace someone while staying out of stabbing distance
And it doesn't cause permanent damage, so there isn't as big of a risk of hitting an innocent bystander. If the victim gets a faceful of Mace as well as the attacker, that's certainly a lot more pleasant than a beheading.

:hmm: Because it comes down to SEP. Somebody Else's Problem. That, and the "Don't get involved" ideal that permeates any society.

well, i'd like to think i'd be all badass and jump up and beat the shit out of the stabber, and if i found myself in that situation, i might do just that, but there is the possibility that i would be so scared that i would not even be able to think, much less stand up. i don't think that it's because i wouldn't want to be involved, but just because the fear and shock would take over.

(nice hhgttg/l,tu,&e reference, btw!)

Illegal for those of us who aren't officers of the law. :shrug: much like tasers.

whereas here in amurricuh (at least in murralind), we can just go to any local sporting goods store and get a keychain-thing of mace for $12.

which i think is interesting, because a lot of people don't!

1 - Since this is so close to home I've done a lot of reading on the story. The kid was apparently as good as dead before anyone even knew what was going on (back of the bus, first few stabs/cuts right to the throat) so there wasn't much chance to save him. Could they have tried to save his body from some of the indignities? Sure, but then there'd be more bodies. Getting everyone off the bus without any additional casualities means that the people on board handled the situation well.

2 - It's perfectly legal to buy pepper spray in Canada, I own some. It's sold as "dog spray" and "bear spray" (except the bear spray is SUPER DUPER strong and actually meant for bears while hiking and the like). It is illegal to use either on another human being BUT if used in self defense (against a potential rapist for example) the cops aren't really going to be able to do much..."Officer, I carry dog spray in my purse in case I am ever attacked by a big dog and when this man came at me that was all I had to defend myself."...no cop's going to lay charges after that.

I'm not gonna say what I might have done if I were on the bus. cause I really don't know...
very sad stuff.

"Officer, I carry dog spray in my purse in case I am ever attacked by a big dog and when this man came at me that was all I had to defend myself."...no cop's going to lay charges after that.

So it's not even legal when used in self-defense, so you have to lie about your intentions in carrying it? o_O

In the US, it's sold as a self-defense tool... spraying some random guy with it who wasn't attacking you would be assault and battery.

So it's not even legal when used in self-defense, so you have to lie about your intentions in carrying it? o_O

In the US, it's sold as a self-defense tool... spraying some random guy with it who wasn't attacking you would be assault and battery.

Doesn't matter why you're carrying it really...it's perfectly legal to purchase and posess it. I do believe however that there is a very blanket statement that it is illegal to use on other human beings. My impression from people in the law enforcement field is that if it's obviously self defence then nothing will happen to the sprayer (no charges laid, even though there COULD be if they really wanted to) but if it's used say in a fist fight between two men of the same size and physical ability then charges would be laid because that can't really be "self defense" if the other person didn't have a leg up in any way and obviously if you randomly spray someone walking down the street charges would be laid.

That all said, if I was ever attacked I'd much rather risk getting charged by some power hungry cop for discharging pepper spray at another person then end up getting raped or killed. It's legal to buy and carry so I'm happy.

My old company sold the real deal - the ones that cops and riot police use. Heavy HEAVY restrictions on who can buy the stuff and even where it can be advertised.

All that being said - yes, there are anti-dog sprays etc that can be used on people...much like you can buy a cattle-prod and use THAT on people too. Not to mention a quick drive over the border will get you the purse-sized versions of both...all you have to do is smuggle it back. :shrug:

A woman using it in self-defense is unlikely to get arrested for it, though it's likely to be taken away from her afterwards.

My mum-in-law has a keychain attachment...little steel rod about 6 inches long. Thing is solid steel and used to poke people. Came with a little booklet about the best places to poke'em too. She used to have a 'screecher', but the batteries died. 120dbls !

I am sure that given a chance to think about it, some people would have fought back. This guy had the upper hand with his "shock and aw" tactic which left everyone like a deer in the headlights.

As for pepper spray, if you use it, you have to have an immediate followup plan. It is only going to stun them for a few seconds and then they will be pissed. You probably won't even get a few seconds if the guy is really strung out.

As to Canadian law on pepper spray, I can never quite get over the attitude that the common wealth countries have towards self defense. I am glad I have the legal right to defend myself, family, home.

Illegal for those of us who aren't officers of the law. :shrug: much like tasers.

So in Canada, you may not protrect yourself? No guns, no mace, no tasers. I bet they respond to 911 calls within seconds & stop the crimes.

So in Canada, you may not protrect yourself? No guns, no mace, no tasers. I bet they respond to 911 calls within seconds & stop the crimes.

You're allowed to carry mace. Not supposed to use it on people but if you use it in true self defense noone is going to do anything. Do read the whole thread :p

As to Canadian law on pepper spray, I can never quite get over the attitude that the common wealth countries have towards self defense. I am glad I have the legal right to defend myself, family, home.

:wink2:

Back