Biden v Palin Debate: Debate

Record Refutes Palin's Sudan Claim
Palin Administration Against Sudan Divestment Before It Was For It, Documents Show

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin fought to protest atrocities in Sudan by dropping assets tied to the country's brutal regime from the state's multi-billion-dollar investment fund, she claimed during Thursday's vice presidential debate.

Not quite, according to a review of the public record – and according to the recollections of a legislator and others who pushed a measure to divest Alaskan holdings in Sudan-linked investments.

"The [Palin] administration killed our bill," said Alaska state representative Les Gara, D-Anchorage. Gara and state Rep. Bob Lynn, R-Anchorage, co-sponsored a resolution early this year to force the Alaska Permanent Fund – a $40 billion investment fund, a portion of whose dividends are distributed annually to state residents – to divest millions of dollars in holdings tied to the Sudanese government.

In Thursday's debate, Palin said she had advocated the state divest from Sudan. "When I and others in the legislature found out that we had some millions of dollars [of Permanent Fund investments] in Sudan, we called for divestment through legislation of those dollars," Palin said.

But a search of news clips and transcripts from the first three months of this year did not turn up an instance in which Palin mentioned the Sudanese crisis or concerns about Alaska's investments tied to the ruling regime. Moreover, Palin's administration openly opposed the bill, and stated its opposition in a public hearing on the measure.

"The legislation is well-intended, and the desire to make a difference is noble, but mixing moral and political agendas at the expense of our citizens' financial security is not a good combination," testified Brian Andrews, Palin's deputy revenue commissioner, before a hearing on the Gara-Lynn Sudan divestment bill in February. Minutes from the meeting are posted online by the legislature.

Gara says the lack of support from Palin's administration helped kill the measure.

"I walked out of that hearing livid," Gara recalled of the February meeting. Because of the Palin administration's opposition to the bill, "We could not get a vote in that committee," he explained. At no point did Palin come out in support of the effort, Gara said.

The rest of it
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5948944&page=2

Bosniak is a Bosnian muslim. It can refer to a group. :confused:

And to Bosnians as a whole ... ?

I'm not saying anything against Biden's use of the term. I thought it was an amusing tongue slip -- as was her's when she called him O'Biden.

I simply thought it interesting that in one minute of an entire day; in one conversation; with one customer; overheard by another customer; that that customer would be of an ethnicity that was knowledgeable of the term.

Who'da thunk it?

So the Palin adminstration had doubts, in February.

A co-sponsor of the legislation, Anchorage Democrat Les Gara, said that Palin apparently had a change of heart on the divestiture issue in March. During a brief hallway conversation, she expressed sympathy for his bill.

Washington Post

Typical political grandstanding on Palins part but hardly a veto of th ebill.

An enthusiastic crowd estimated between 15,000 and 20,000 jammed the Home Depot tennis stadium to rally for Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin in Carson Saturday.

24lu7oz.jpg

Hmmmm.

Huge crowds are showing up to see Palin whenever she speaks. Her debate with Smilin' Joe is the highest rated debate in more than a decade.

But if we believe the media, polls show Biden won the debate hands down, and we’re all growing bored and dissatisfied with her.

Is the media biased? Say it ain't so, Joe.

In all fairness, terror buddy Barac was drawing rock concert crowds earlier this year. It means nothing.

Looks like you're gonna have to wait 4 or 8 years for that. :laugh:

Your savior will be heading back to one of his mansions pretty soon tho'.

my hope lost in the primaries

go ahead and count those chickens though. they always come home and roost.

By the by, anyone remember the reference Biden made to Katie's Restaurant and how we should come on down with him, a man who is in touch with the people, and ask people there about economic and foreign policy? Well, apparently Katie's restaurant hasn't existed for nearly twenty years.

So I guess Joe was right when he said "Past is prologue". He was wrong then, he is wrong now, and he will be wrong for the future.

BIDEN: Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years. And then ask them whether there's a single major initiative that John McCain differs with the president on. On taxes, on Iraq, on Afghanistan, on the whole question of how to help education, on the dealing with health care.

SOURCE

Friday, October 03, 2008
Biden's Restaurant to Nowhere

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

Above: The faded sign of Katie's restaurant in Wilmington at what is now a Wings to Go franchise.

Towards the end of last night's Joe Biden/Sarah Palin debate, Joe Biden said this: "All you have to do is to go down Union Street with me in Wilmington and go to Katie's restaurant..."

It caught me off guard, as well as our food guru Patty Talorico.

She investigated a bit and realized Biden was referring to the long-closed Katie's Italian restaurant, which is actually two blocks away from Union Street.

The establishment is now a Wings to Go.

Talorico's blog post has been picked up by the John McCain campaign, along with The National Review, New York magazine and others.

For a guy running as an in-touch-with-the-real-people candidate, it's hard to believe he not only referenced a restaurant that has been closed for nearly 20 years, but also got the location wrong!

I just called the owner of Wings to Go, Nate Johnson, who verified that Katie's closed in the late '80s.

"He was a little off," Johnson said of Biden.

Johnson said no one in the restaurant even heard the reference last night because a band called Baby Brother and the Long Hairs performing, so the volume on the televisions were turned down.

But for Johnson, any publicity is good publicity, even if Biden got the restaurant's name wrong: "Hey, if people find out were here, it's good, no matter what he called it."

And for the record, Katie's Wings to Go is on Sixth and Scott streets:

....and how we should come on down with him, a man who is in touch with the people, and ask people there about economic and foreign policy?

......Walk right in it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track.....You can get
anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.

:bong:

Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington
or go to Katie's Restaurant
or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time

Show me again where he said that Katie's Restaurant is on Union?

Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington
or go to Katie's Restaurant
or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time

Show me again where he said that Katie's Restaurant is on Union?

Fine. If he had said Sixth and Scott streets it still wouldn't be there. It is gone, defunct, the former Katie's.

Katy's Great Eats Lounge
($) VIEW MENU

1054 S College Rd
Wilmington, NC 28403
(Map)(910) 395-5289 (Phone)

If he meant Katy's Great Eats Lounge don't you think he would have said "Katy's Lounge" instead of "Katie's Restaurant"? Are you then saying that every transcript out there got the name of the place wrong?

Transcriptors can't tell the spelling of Katie/Katy just by listening...any more than they can the difference between your and you're, there, they're, their (except in context). :shrug:

It's nit-picking. Doesn't add to the debate and doesn't really lessen what he was trying to get across. "Ask the people on the street what they think of the economy..."

:thumbup: I've been saying it for years.

Anyone who votes strictly on 'party' is an idiot to begin with, and should have their hand slapped as soon as they leave the voting booth. It means they were lazy and/or apathetic, and have no clue as to why they are voting.

Back