Chess

MrBishop

Unc started a thread like this about 14 months ago...but I wasn't here then, and most of the respondents aren't here now :(

Most people see that I work in a church and think...aah...that's where the 'bishop' in MrBishop comes from...they'd be wrong. I play chess whenever I can...which isn't as often as I'd like. I'm usually starving for opponents. I've tried online gaming (Yahoo, itsyourturn.com, IECC) but found that half the fun in chess is the interraction between opponenets sitting across a checkered board from each other. I'm curious.

Do you play Chess?
How often?
IRL or Online?
Rated? If, so...what?
Play any other games (Go, Checkers, Dominos, card games)?

BTW...I was rated 1600 on IECC and 1700 on Yahoo. Never been in a club, so I don't know what my 'real' rating is.

Inkara1

It's been ages since I've played chess, usually because of a lack of opponents. Even when there are people around, I still want for opponents because it's a thinking man's game, and if the people around you don't think very deep, it's no fun. As nice as it is to have the queen in four moves once in a while, it would eventually get boring. Plus, the other person needs to have enough of an attention span to not get bored and walk away while I'm thinking out my next move. See, when I make a move, I think beforehand of what moves he or she could make next, and my possible reaction to it. It can sometimes be several minutes before I make that one move.

Stop Laughing

I was first board at one point in high school, but we were the worst team at state, so how good am I really? I still don't know.

Yay, I'm the best of the worst! :D

I haven't played since high school 4 years ago, but I still remember my openings for the most part.

I remember a thread way back on JJR's before I even got there where they played a game (it was Huge and Wetling, I believe) right in the thread. I'm up for a challenge if anyone else is.

AlladinSane

Stop Laughing said:
I remember a thread way back on JJR's before I even got there where they played a game (it was Huge and Wetling, I believe) right in the thread. I'm up for a challenge if anyone else is.
Actually, Wetling got spanked by Montezuma

MrBishop said:
I've tried online gaming (Yahoo, itsyourturn.com, IECC) but found that half the fun in chess is the interraction between opponenets sitting across a checkered board from each other. I'm curious.
How it works at Yahoo? Is it via Messenger?

Mirlyn

Never played chess, never knew anyone into it, so I never got into it myself. One of those "if it required a partner, I was out" type things.

pc_builder

Inkara1 said:
Kinda like sex? :D

:rofl4: hahahahaha....... wait a minute... that... can kinda... be done without a partner..... but i digress

I used to play. Only against friends and relatives though. Never played in a tournament or online. I haven't played in awhile because no one wanted to play me. i always won.

My brother and I might start playing again tho. For christmas, my mom bought us a Lord of the Rings Chess set. It looks cool.

Anyway, I also collect chess sets, because I think chess sets are cool, and because I hope someone will play me again someday.

my favorite set is my replica Ming Dynasty chess set. It's box is really old, and when I got it, it didn't have it's original board. it had a regular MB checkers board.

I also like my wooden chess set and my glass chess set. I used to have a small table that my brother made for me, it had a chess board inlaid in it. it was awesome. I don't know what happened to that table.

Anyway, there are lots of cool chess sets I see for sale everywhere, in town, in magazines. I just can't afford them right now. my mom wants me to get a display case to display all my chess sets in.

pc_builder

btw, if I had an enclosed display case for the chess sets, I could keep active games going on them without interference from my cats.

I always thought it would be cool to play chess against someone via mail, or in this day and age, via email.

shockwave.com has an email chess game that you can play with a friend. That's the ONLY time I've played it online. I started a game with my mom who lives in georgia now, but she hasn't sent her next move.

And the game only remains in their servers for 20 days if left inactive. I might have to start another one with her, or someone else.

Hey, if anyone wants to start a game of email chess, let me know. eitherr with me or with anyone else here who's interested.

here's the link http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/emailchess

it looks kinda basic in the graphics, but it works.

and if not the shockwave way, you can always do it the old fashioned way and each set up a chess board in your home.

Camelyn

MrBishop said:
I'd be up for it. I own at least 3 real-sized chess sets, plus several small magnetic ones.

How come we never played chess? Ok fine, so I don't know how to play chess.

How come you never taught me how to play chess? *pouts*

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
When I saw this thread title on the main page I thought it said "cheese"...I must admit that I am more than a tad disappointed :mope:

Now I need to go make lunch and somehow incorporate cheese into it...

MrBishop

Camelyn said:
How come we never played chess? Ok fine, so I don't know how to play chess.

How come you never taught me how to play chess? *pouts*

Sure...c'mon over to my place. You can be the queen, I'll show you my rook and we can practice 'castleing'

I have a nice checkered duvet for just such purposes...c'mon over and checkmate!

Inkara1

Nixy said:
When I saw this thread title on the main page I thought it said "cheese"...I must admit that I am more than a tad disappointed :mope:

Now I need to go make lunch and somehow incorporate cheese into it...

I'd like to see you incorporate chess into your lunch. Don't forget the Grey Pou-pawn mustard. :D