DWI - how to stop it?

simplyred

I tend to believe the disease isn't with alcohol. Sure it has physical withdrawal symptoms but I think the real issues are mental.
I have never known an "alcoholic" that didn't have deep rooted psychological issues and found an escape in alcohol. And when the alcohol becomes a problem they are either unable or unwilling to let go of their escape because it's the only thing they understand or the only thing that makes them feel better. The problem is is that they get help for the alcohol but not the underlying issue and they never truly recover.
It's the old band-aid on the bullet hole :shrug:

I can send you the documentation and brain scans proving that it is just as much a disease as bipolar, or depression, etc. True most people find this an escape, haven't most of us taken a drink to escape from time to time? With the disease of alcoholism the nuero receptors do not continue to produce what they need to function properly. Therefore, the PT needs more and more of the substance to continue to function. Hence "cravings". I realize that most of us feel that putting down the bottle is just the logical answer rather than ruining our lives. It is my belief that compassion for such individuals is the answer. Espically when they are resident in your life. It is quite often that compassion that gives them the confidence they need to face the fear of life and their disease to get help.
Don't get me wrong, I think none of this is any excuse to get behind the wheel of a car and put others at risk. Excuses aside I am saying I can see where it happens. I tend to agree with the laws that have been set forth in my state of immediate jail time, attendance of MADD meetings, etc. I don't agree with the loss of job ect. because the family members of an addict have suffered enough in day to day life without wondering when the lights are getting turned off or where the next gallon of milk is coming from.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
For some I am sure it is. I was referring to those with a DISEASE.

A disease is not something that can be cured simply by making a different choice. Too bad too, I bet there are hundreds of thousands of people who would gladly put down the bottle to cure their real disease (cancer, HIV, arthritis, etc)

simplyred

A disease is not something that can be cured simply by making a different choice. Too bad too, I bet there are hundreds of thousands of people who would gladly put down the bottle to cure their real disease (cancer, HIV, arthritis, etc)

I whole heartedly agree!

For that matter, if there were even a pill for help. Like with bipolar or depression.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Isn't there? That one that makes alcohol an immediate violent regurgitation.

highwayman

I whole heartedly agree!

For that matter, if there were even a pill for help. Like with bipolar or depression.

At one time I was told that the majorety of people going though rehab have a form of depression and use the substance as an escape or self medication. That is one fact that too few people understand, why can't the person put down the bottle? they use the bottle to relieve the pain that they are living with everyday. What the catch 22 is that the booze is a depressiant and make the problem worse..

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I think first you have to be psychologically predisposed to becoming addicted to something, then it probably doesn't matter what the something is.

Dead wrong. I present for your consideration a marvelous substance called methamphetamine. I give a rat's ass if you're "predisposed" or not, take that shit and you are hooked dead to rights. 99% chance.

simplyred

Dead wrong. I present for your consideration a marvelous substance called methamphetamine. I give a rat's ass if you're "predisposed" or not, take that shit and you are hooked dead to rights. 99% chance.

There are some treatments available which are showing to be of great help to meth addicts. This treatment uses an antagonist to fill the neuro receptors and help block other agents from attaching to the receptor. Ideally, the receptors begin to repair, and the PT no longer craves the drug.
Unfortunately, this treatment is currently priced around $30,000. The PT is also treated with round the clock psyosocial treatment as well.
Hopefully this will end this meth epidemic our country is falling into.

tonksy

I can send you the documentation and brain scans proving that it is just as much a disease as bipolar, or depression, etc. True most people find this an escape, haven't most of us taken a drink to escape from time to time? With the disease of alcoholism the nuero receptors do not continue to produce what they need to function properly. Therefore, the PT needs more and more of the substance to continue to function. Hence "cravings". I realize that most of us feel that putting down the bottle is just the logical answer rather than ruining our lives. It is my belief that compassion for such individuals is the answer. Espically when they are resident in your life. It is quite often that compassion that gives them the confidence they need to face the fear of life and their disease to get help.
Don't get me wrong, I think none of this is any excuse to get behind the wheel of a car and put others at risk. Excuses aside I am saying I can see where it happens. I tend to agree with the laws that have been set forth in my state of immediate jail time, attendance of MADD meetings, etc. I don't agree with the loss of job ect. because the family members of an addict have suffered enough in day to day life without wondering when the lights are getting turned off or where the next gallon of milk is coming from.

Okay, I'll grant you that that is the case with some folks...but nowhere near all of them. And I guess I have just been exposed to the type of drinker I mentioned in my post. Folks that can go for how ever long without alcohol when there isn't any available and not suffer withdrawl but when given the freedom to make their own concious decisions about alcohol choose to drink away their paycheck instead of seeing to their responsibilities in life.
These folks need help as much as the physical addicts...they just need different treatment.

chcr

Too cute for words

But... don't you have to be the type of person that takes something like meth in the first place? Plus, I'm pretty certain that it's not possible to become physically addicted to anything after one exposure, and we're talking about physical addiction, or at least I was.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
But... don't you have to be the type of person that takes something like meth in the first place? Plus, I'm pretty certain that it's not possible to become physically addicted to anything after one exposure, and we're talking about physical addiction, or at least I was.

One hit of meth and you are addicted. Period. Almost every case. Well over 98%. Close enough to an absolute for government work.

And meth is commonly disguised as candy and given to kids. I don't think they are "the type of person" usually.

If you'd like a brief synopsis of how meth works let me know. I'll see what I can find. The fifty cent version is...you will never ever ever feel as good as you will the first hit of meth you ingest. Ever. No matter what. And you spend the rest of your life, estimated to be 7-10 years at best, trying to feel that good again. And you can't, because dopamine has been manipulated beyond repair.

rrfield

Mitch Hedberg said:
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupis... one of those two doesn't sound right.

highwayman

Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupis... one of those two doesn't sound right.

I'll drink to that....

Winky

So ya'll wanna wring yer hands over the poor alky
i'm prudy sure if one of yer kids was lying inna casket
because of one of these bastards you'd wanna wring his neck instead

Oh and gettin' hooked on meth with the first 'hit' Ha that's crap

and as for feelin' better than you've ever felt ferever that's bunk
as well coke is a better high any day

nope you gotta have more than one thing wrong with you to get hooked
on then thangs, the substance ain't responsible

a parked car don't crash into a mother of five and create orphans

Dave

Isn't there? That one that makes alcohol an immediate violent regurgitation.

antabuse

never met anyone that would take it though

Disulfiram plus even small amounts of alcohol produces flushing, throbbing in head and neck, throbbing headache, respiratory difficulty, nausea, copious vomiting, sweating, thirst, chest pain, palpitation, dyspnea, hyperventilation, tachycardia, hypotension, syncope, marked uneasiness, weakness, vertigo, blurred vision, and confusion. In severe reactions, there may be respiratory depression, cardiovascular collapse, arrhythmias, myocardial infarction, acute congestive heart failure, unconsciousness, convulsions, and death.