Gas Prices - how much are YOU paying?

pc_builder

$1.95/gallon today. Didn't buy any tho. My tank is already full on $1.99 gas.

We've had 10% ethanol blends here for awhile, too.

Sharky

What's not good, waiting until the gas light is on to fill up? I don't think I've ever heard that before ..

Most cars' fuel pumps are inside the fuel tank on the bottom, to keep them submerged in fuel to cool them. The theory is, if you let the fuel level get too low, the pump will overheat and eventually burn out. I asked my mechanic, who is a Ford and ASE certified Master Technician, if there was any truth to that, and he just shrugged. Most automotive experts say that as long as there is fuel flowing through the pump, it will be sufficiently cooled.

That said, why risk it - fuel pumps generally run about $500-600 to replace (mostly due to the labor involved), and running out of gas and having to walk sucks. :cool:

GrandCaravanSE

Most cars' fuel pumps are inside the fuel tank on the bottom, to keep them submerged in fuel to cool them. The theory is, if you let the fuel level get too low, the pump will overheat and eventually burn out. I asked my mechanic, who is a Ford and ASE certified Master Technician, if there was any truth to that, and he just shrugged. Most automotive experts say that as long as there is fuel flowing through the pump, it will be sufficiently cooled.

That said, why risk it - fuel pumps generally run about $500-600 to replace (mostly due to the labor involved), and running out of gas and having to walk sucks. :cool:

Another reason is that older cars with alot of miles have a build up of random crap in the tank, this would cause the stuff in the bottom of the tank to back up the fuel filter and make you buy a new one. this happened to me, i had no moneys and had to replace my $400 fuel filter,i am still pissed about that.

Mirlyn

Filled the Saturn up last night for $20. $1.94/g.

Today the Explorer will get topped off at $1.89/g.

GrandCaravanSE

The FILTER was $400? :eek6:

Yes, in is not a screw in line one, it sits ontop of the tank, and has presser fitted tubes coming out of it, i also was dumb, and had no heat in my garage and had to have someone else do it for me. oh yes now i remember why it cost so much, the sending unit was cracked as well.

Fuel filter

can't find the page for the cost of the sendign unit but this things are expensive, also a little while after that the Whole computer died, because of moisture.