Gas Prices - how much are YOU paying?

Inkara1

Know what's sad? Most of my friends from high school have moved away and gone on with life, but I'm more in the loop with what's happening with them now than I was in high school.

Inkara1

The ice storm would have caused quite a bit of damage and the insurance company would have totaled it.

Mirlyn

The ice storm would have caused quite a bit of damage and the insurance company would have totaled it.

It was me in an ice storm that did a majority of the damage, not the storm itself. I lost control avoiding the guy who lost it ahead of me on an overpass. Recovered, but ended up sideways on the inside lanes, and then was hit a few times by other cars and spun back across to the outside barrier. The age and mileage helped total it.

It never was any good on ice (weightless rear).

GrandCaravanSE

It was me in an ice storm that did a majority of the damage, not the storm itself. I lost control avoiding the guy who lost it ahead of me on an overpass. Recovered, but ended up sideways on the inside lanes, and then was hit a few times by other cars and spun back across to the outside barrier. The age and mileage helped total it.

It never was any good on ice (weightless rear).

Wow, that sucks, i know i try not to drive if the roads are that bad on the highways. do you wish you still had the Mustang?

Mirlyn

Wow, that sucks, i know i try not to drive if the roads are that bad on the highways. do you wish you still had the Mustang?
I still have to get to work somehow. :)

I miss it sometimes, especially on the nice summer evenings. I really do miss the sound system I put in it.

The Explorer allows me to do much more though. Easier for camping/fishing, hauling equipment and my tools for work, getting in/out of job sites, inclement weather, etc. More expensive to drive, but I use it.

Professur

Mir ... and you with a Canuckistani wife too. Should have let her drive;)

Nal, there's the rumour of overheating pumps, but my thing has always been about sediments in the tank. Letting the tank lie empty allows more condensation in the tank. Water, naturally, sinks in gasoline. Repeated sessions of low fuel levels can let a sufficient amount of water build up to allow it to contaminate the picked up fuel enough to cause some major engine troubles. Much of it will get caught in the fuel filter, reducing fuel flow. Then, in Canada ... that can freeze and .... well, then you're screwed. Keeping the tank near full helps keep the water monster at bay, as well as keeping rust and slag from forming on the inside, reducing tank life.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, if your concern is condensation then I must dismiss you. Have you ever been to Calgary? It's exceptionally dry here...

Professur

Nixy, I thought you smarter than that. You do know that the inside of the average canadian home in winter is drier than the Sahara. Calgary is much more moist.

Ink, the problem is that ... the water never leaves. It condenses on the sides (and yeah, the systems do let atmosphere in, runs down under the fuel, and stays there, never evaporating. Unless you use a fuel drier, it will eventually reach the pickup. Fortunately, it's usually agitated into the fuel in bubbles and pass through harmlessly. But if you let enough accumulate ... You get to exercise your thumb

chcr

Too cute for words
Looks like everyone is catching up to us.....$1.84.

My inner tin-foil-hat-wearing-guy wonders if around $2.00 a gallon wasn't always the plan and the $4.00 a gallon spike was only intended to make us like it. ;)

Inkara1

I've seen similar conspiracy theories in e-mails before... that we're being conditioned to think $1.50 (at the time of the e-mail I saw) is cheap by having gas up to $3... so let's do a "gas out" where everybody doesn't buy gas for one specific day... even though we'll all need it the next day, at the price that won't go down in a day.

POStech

I was driving to London today and I saw this at one of the truck stops along the 401. I stopped in on the way back to get some (and to take this pic).