Gas Prices - how much are YOU paying?

Inkara1

So did they disclose the "card price" on the sign or do they wait until you're actually at the pump to disclose that it's another 8-12 cents a gallon to use a card... even if it's that gas station's own card (i.e. a PhillipsConoco76 card at a 76 station)?

2minkey

bootlicker
i didn't look so close. probably. but there is a station around here - arco or something like that - that charges a 35 cent flat fee if you use a debit card, and won't take credit cards. but i really don't go there.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I put $49.99 in my pickemup truck this morning at 3.799 per. I flat refuse to spend fifty bucks on gas for a 12 year old truck.

The e85 junk is 3.479 per here now.

majestyx

Regular unleaded $3.789; Diesel $4.689

Edited to add: the gas pumps around my area automatically shut off at $75.00........and how would I know that??? Filling up my diesel pickup for the last time for a little while.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oil prices aren't tagged to supply/demand...it's all speculative market value.

Speculatiuon driven by supply/demand. When a billion Chinese & a billion Indians discover that walking sucks, demand skyrockets. Though the speculators are driving this current market (is it time for the oil bubble to burst?)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oil prices aren't tagged to supply/demand...it's all speculative market value. What brokers 'think' the prices might be like in X months. Like a self-fulfilling prophesy, but using our money.

Well, they're saying gas usage is down slightly...if America stops buying our oil (which they're threatening because extracting oil from the oil sands is a huge pollution creator and America has decided they don't like that) then Canada's gonna need someone else to buy it...if they want Canadians to buy more prices are going to have to drop to make that happen. It's a long shot but I will continue to wish.

Inkara1

i didn't look so close. probably. but there is a station around here - arco or something like that - that charges a 35 cent flat fee if you use a debit card, and won't take credit cards. but i really don't go there.

Arco does that here, too... I think it's 45 cents though. In any case, often times, that fee makes it actually less economical to buy the cheaper gas... if I buy 12 gallons, it's the equivalent of almost four cents per gallon, and my car seems to run best and get the best mileage on 76... so if the price difference is 8 or 9 cents, then considering the cost of the debit card and considering the extra mile to the gallon on the gas my car likes better, it makes financial sense to get the 76 gas and use my 76 card to do it.

A.B.Normal

There may be hope

But I have to wonder at what cost the electricity will be generated at?

At exactly how much the mileage is improved.
Poulsen said a compact car would get around 20 gasoline free miles.

so is that per tank or per gallon?

MrBishop

There may be hope

But I have to wonder at what cost the electricity will be generated at?

At exactly how much the mileage is improved.

so is that per tank or per gallon?

an electric motor kit that can be outfitted to the wheels of any lightweight car, transforming the vehicle into a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, or PHEV

So much for minivans, trucks and SUVs... ya know...the ones that REALLY need the gas savings?!

BlurOfSerenity

something i've taken to doing is filling my tank when it's at half. you spend less money at a time that way, even if you have to fill up more often. you actually spend less money period, because if you do it at 3.75 today and again in a few days at 3.85, you still have some of the cheaper gas in your car.
it's really helped me. i don't spend more than $30 at a time (for now). i don't drive a whole lot though, which probably also helps.

K62

$1.35/L in Halifax. I hate spending money on gas, so I poor little Toyota doesn't move so much anymore.

I bike to/from work each day on my trusty ol' mountain bike. (only 5km each way) I have done 550km on the mountain bike so far this year, and 300 or so on my street bike which I just sold to pay for a plane ticket to Nicaragua. woo.

Mirlyn

Its around $3.73 here. I use my Sams card and Cam uses her Dillon's card for similar discounts (~0.10/g off).

They don't charge extra for using plastic around here, just the transaction limits. Hope they don't start doing that.....everything is prepay as is.

Inkara1

If you use credit, most stations don't charge extra. Some stations will charge eight cents a gallon or so for the "credit price" though (but you know it before you pay), and will give you the "cash price" for debit but will charge the transaction fee of 35-25 cents.