Gone Fishin' - the dying art?

Nope, but we have an octopus fishing game with magnets and little fishing rods and a little carousel that moves around... :D

I've always wanted to fish but the few times I've gone I've caught nothing (well, a buzz on a few trips)...needed the Norman Rockwell grandfather type to teach me :shrug:

Gonz said:
I've always wanted to fish but the few times I've gone I've caught nothing (well, a buzz on a few trips)...needed the Norman Rockwell grandfather type to teach me :shrug:

As most of us Fishing types has said, its not about the "fish" but the "fishing".

BS. It's all about the fish. Having that 5 pound lunker tearing your rod outta your hands. Panicing because you only have 6lbs test on your spool. Seeing the rod bend double, ready to snap like a twig. Seeing him leap outta the water trying to shake your lure. Hearing your reel scream as he heads for bottom. Fighting to keep him from the reeds, or worse, that submerged stump.

How on earth can you compare that to sitting with your kids on a dock tossing out worms and grubs. Chatting about how school went this week. Seeing the joy as a 4 inch rock bass takes her hook. Then there's all the hugs and kisses. And the photo ops. The agonizing decision as to wether Guppy lives to do something stupid again tomorrow, or goes on to fuel a growth spurt. The tears and waving goodbye to ol' Guppy. Then there's listening to her telling everyone and his cousin about it.

All about the fishing? You gotta be nuts.

I've gotten up many mornings before dawn to head to the river to fish for Steelhead,it so cold the water from the line freezes in the eyes of the Rod.Most times I never catch anything,hell who am I kiddin' ,I've never caught a Steelhead ,but I look forward to the sittin on the bank drink coffee and freezin my ass off.

Okay ,so maybe I am Nuts .:p

But.

Wouldn't getting that one hit make it all worth while?

Oh, and lose the coffee. The fish can smell it.

An old guy who showed me how to fly fish fed me that tidbit. Since I don't drink coffee, I've never had ocaission to test it out. But I do know that they don't like the smell of deet. A single drop in the water will wreck your entire morning. Unless you're on a quick flowing stream.

Same goes for sunscreen. Tested it myself. :wink2: Wash your hands good with the water (wherever youre at) before touching the pole.

<johnny carson>I did not know that.

Not that I ever use any, but you may have saved my daughter some grief.

Yep. I'm extremely fair skinned, so sunscreen is common around our family. I just dont' use it as much anymore because of the hassle. Long sleeves does just fine. I put some on my wrists and back of the hand because that sees the most sun (holding a reel). I let it dry a good 45 mins or so then get a small amount of lake water in my palm and rub good to moisten it up again. Then rinse the palm. Keeps the sunscreen on your outside but the palms/fingers semi-scent-free. :)

They mostly sea fish around here... off the beach or off the piers at Clacton and Walton. Usually catch mackeral and whiting with the occassional flounder or plaice. The mackeral shoals are good fun when they come inshore. :)

And fresh fish straight out of the sea is nothing like the frozen stuff that's been around for months. I used to go just up the coast to Dunwich (Dun-itch) and buy my fish directly off the fisherman as they brought their catch in... it was filletted and in my freezer within 90 minutes of being landed. Mmmmmmm, plaice fillets bonne femme (with white wine and wild mushrooms - picked in my local wood) .... :licklips:

Mostly bass fishing in a private lake. I've caught a few 3 pounders, but never got the lunker named 'grandpa'. That sucker weighs about 15 pounds. :eek5: I've seen him, but he's been released so many times, he doesn't take hooks any more....no matter the bait.

Gato_Solo said:
15 pounds.

Nice...there are a few legends like that on most lakes, but often no-one really sees the fish, just a friend of theirs, or their cousin's-uncle's-brother's-nephew's-former roomate saw it.

I had the Louisa legend last year. Cost me a reel and lure. First time I've ever seen a fish smash the drag on a reel.

Never caught a legend....saw a tree catch a fish tho'

Someone had snagged a tree on a previous cast and cut the line...the line (with lure) was draggin in the river...this fish caught the lure and took a while to get the line free...in the meanwhile, the tree's shaking like a SOB...saw this fish jump (at least 15" long)...before it got loose. Frustrating seeing a tree catch a better fish than I got that week.:cuss:

MrBishop said:
Damn that sounds good Em....recipy?

There are several differnt methods but I prefer this one:

Title: Filet Of Sole/Plaice Bonne Femme
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients

1/2 c butter
2 tb shallots or green onions; chopped
1 lb mushrooms; chopped
3 lb sole/plaice filets
1 1/2 c dry white wine
1 tb lemon juice
2 tb parsley; chopped
1 ts salt
1/4 ts white pepper
1 1/2 tb flour
1 c heavy cream

Instructions

Combine 2 tb butter and 2 tb wine in a nonstick skillet. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook and stir over high heat until the liquid evaporates and the onions and mushrooms begin to brown in the remaining fat. Fold filets in half or thirds; place in pan. Add wine and water to just cover filets. Add lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover with a circle of wax paper with a small hole cut in the center. Bring to a boil gently. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Remove filets to a serving plate; keep warm.

Blend flour and 1 tb butter (beurre manie.) Reduce liquid in skillet by half. Add beurre manie, a small amount at a time, stirring until sauce is smooth. Add cream; gently bring to a boil; correct seasoning. Remove from heat. Add remaining butter a little at a time, rotating skillet to effect a gradual melting. Pour over filets. Glaze quickly under the broiler or in a 425F oven. (The purpose of the glazing is to improve the appearance of the dish, and could be omitted without changing the taste in any way.)

Thank you very much Auntie :) I'll try it tomorrow night...I've got a few nice fish awating the skillet at home (Brown Trout) Mmmmm... decent fishin' weekend :)

Back