goodbye: VW beetle, a true classic

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
_39131146_beetle_bbc203.jpg

End of the road for the Beetle

German car giant Volkswagen has said it will stop making the original model Beetle later this year, bringing down the curtain on a 70-year old motoring icon.

The last of the original Beetles will roll off the production line at the Volkswagen factory in Puebla, Mexico, later this summer, although a final date has not been set.

The rear-engined Beetle, with its distinctive rounded shape and prominent headlights, traces its origins back to 1934, when Adolf Hitler instructed designers to draw up an affordable car for the masses.

Mass production began after the second world war, and the Beetle went on to become one of the most instantly recognisable cars of the twentieth century.

Complete story here

Luis G

Staff member
I have several friends that belong to the Vocho club, they love to modify the car (audio, engine, etc) or just keep elder models in excellent conditions.

I'm sure they'll miss it.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
is mexico the only country left making the original beetle? are they going to continue making the "thing"?

chcr

Too cute for words
I heard that on the news yesterday. I used to build baja bugs on the side when I first moved to AZ. Guess I built twenty or so over the years. They were great cars. You could fix them with stuff you could find lying by the road.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Don't let the door hit you on the ass, Beetle! :beerbang:

[tiny=0]damn ugly cars...[/tiny]

Acid

All of the good cars of that era were stopped being made back then.

I don't miss it. Bring back the nice camaros or mustangs :headbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
When I was 16 I bought two of those for $500. One had a decent engine but the body was shit, the other had a decent body but the head was cracked on the motor. Spent a lot of time learning about engines and motor mounts on those two cars. Gladly do it again with one of my kids today too.

AlladinSane

I drove my load of those bugs. 1300, 1500cc and even a ethanol-fuelled double-carburated 1600. Good cars to drive off road... We used to call it Fusca around these parts...

Luis G

Staff member
tommyj27 said:
is mexico the only country left making the original beetle? are they going to continue making the "thing"?

Mexico is the only country manufacturing it, and soon we won't do it anymore. Collectors might be interested in buying the last model ever.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
i heard that on the news on monday :( very sorry to hear, i was still hoping to be able to buy a brand new VW beetle...

perhaps i'll have an oldie someday :D

greenfreak

I had no idea the originals were still being made.

You can still hear one coming down the block, they have that really distinctive sound about them when they're accelerating.

I'm considering trading in my car and buying a Jetta. Good car with lots of standard features but they ain't cheap.

Luis G

Staff member
Yeah, they stopped. With gas prices the way they are, you're better off buying a car with a newer and more efficient engine than the vw beetle ;)