Got some hardware to burn? Put it on Genome for Xi!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I used to do genoming, but i started to have problems with the server, and i quit.

unclehobart

HomeLAN and I have a side thing going with distributed folding. I'm not sure if were looking for more. Were just two hardcore blokes doing our thing without regard to personal glory. I should speak to all parties involved to see if he would be cool in letting some others join us or not.

*apologies for semi advertising a non OTC sanctioned team*

Ghozer

I run a Dual Inteal Xeon 2.8Ghz, With 3GB DDR Ram, and can turn out 4 WU's per hour, But i'm not going to, cause that is when i allow seti at full priority of both CPU's, so i cant do much else really.. I Gave up with the SETI business when i was on my T-Bird 1.4, 1gb ram, Was just taking too long....

fury

Administrator
Staff member
unc, any news on that yet? If you guys are willing, maybe it could be an official OTC distributed computing team. The only thing I'm worried about is that we spread ourselves too thin and we won't be making a very big impact at anything in particular.

Ghozer: Genome doesn't interfere with normal operation of your computer... you shouldn't really notice any difference in performance. I have it running on my Athlon XP 1.53 and (well, when I have a working video card) I can play games on it alongside Genome, with no problem at all. On a multiprocessor system, though, you'll have to install it twice to two different directories because it's not a SMP-enabled client. I don't find it much different than installing it on two computers anyway.

unclehobart

Heh.. Even I have dropped off of my team over the last 24 hours as my LAN is undergoing cardiac arrest.

I would have to talk to Steve again as our last powow on it was three months ago. We've gotten ourselves up to 55th place as a 2 man squad and are quickly hitting the steep slope of real competition. Unless you could throw us a good chunk of weight, you might as well let it slide and keep Genome as the flagship project. As high as we already are, anyone who jumped on board would be demoralized at the unit not ever seeming to move forward.

I also agree about impact strength. I haven't peeked at genome stats in ages. How many current crunchers for what weekly production value are you pulling right now?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
We have 6 accounts actively putting in units (e.g. at least one gene within the past week), and possibly more that nonet for a while. I know for a fact SL does because he doesn't have a reliable enough internet connection to run online 24/7.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm running 1.93 gig 24/7 and another 4.3 parttime, doing about 900-1200 units a week. The entire team is totalling 2400 units a week (we were up at 3000 earlier)

It's nothing to sneeze at, but we're gonna flatline at 53rd place at the current production rate. :mope:

unclehobart

yeah... I know the feeling all too well. At that point, its a matter of watching personal stats against the breadth of the field of individual users. HomeLAN and I were pulling down roughly 3600 a week as a pair in Genome in the glory days.

Is everyone pretty much Genoming... or is there a SETI unit as well?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
There was a Xi SETI team but I can't find it anymore... I think everyone ditched it when the founder (Posty) stopped.

3600, damn, that's a lot. How much of a bribe would it take to get you guys to start up genoming again? :brow:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the old .99 client was discontinued, and because of it most of our power has been cut off (much of it was achieved through nonetting which you can no longer do with the one-size-fits-fuck-all client).

I'm up for suggestions on other distributed computing projects to go for.

HomeLAN

We ain't married to the name. This name is only about a week old. E-mail me suggestions, if you're truly interested.