Hard habit to break

These people getting any money for their property or are they just being shown where the street is?
I'll admit that I'm not entirely familiar with 'eminent domain' and its application...but this sounds like being fucked up the ass by a tightly rolled piece of legislature to me.

MrBishop said:
These people getting any money for their property or are they just being shown where the street is?
I'll admit that I'm not entirely familiar with 'eminent domain' and its application...but this sounds like being fucked up the ass by a tightly rolled piece of legislature to me.

You're not familiar with it? Guy, Mirabel Airport vs Quebec Farmers. Look it up.

They're probably getting some cash. Nothing approaching fair value, though.

Not really the point. They're being told that they WILL sell at this price, or they will be forceably kicked out. I have an issue with that. There'd better be a real, compelling public need for the land before you take that step, and I don;t see it here.

However, after last year's supreme court decision, it'll probably happen. Thank God Georgia moved to at least put some sort of state-wide limitations on this shit.

MrBishop said:
I've heard of it...but don't know the details of the law.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LaSuMbi...ouse/debates/032_2004-11-25/han032_1300-e.htm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LaSuMbi...ouse/debates/087_2005-04-21/han087_1735-e.htm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LaSuMbi....freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47083

http://www.cherylgallant.ca/Report%20to%20Parliament/ReportFromParliamentMay2005.pdf#search='farmer%20mirabel%20airport%20expropriation%20of%20land'

I haven't read them all, but that's what came up on a quick search using expropriation of land, farmer, and mirabel airport as criteria.

there is nowhere near enough info in that article for me to "pick a side".

it was a once vibrant neighborhood..is it now full of crack houses or just not maintained?
what type of offers were the residents given? fair market value or on the cheap?
what kind of money are the holdouts looking for? fair market value or do they want substantially more?

this looks like journalistic mind games. dont tell the entire story, just play the emotional angle to get people fired up over something they have no idea of what is going on there.
i'm sick of this type of shit.

Actually, the property in question is to be seized for development of retail space, significantly increasing the tax revenue to the town over what the residences bring in. The city fathers have pretty much admitted that this is the primary cause for their eminent domain action.

Under those circumstances, who fucking cares what the offer was? The city shouldn't have the right to seize my home, under threat of using condemnation and paying me zero for it, to turn it over to developers. That house is mine, I paid for it. If you need a road, a school, or have some real need, OK. We can talk. If you simply want to turn it over for "redevelopment", you shouldn't be able to force me to move.

Kelo, in this case, liked her home. Liked the view of the waterfront, had just remodeled. She simply didn't want to leave. And she shouldn't have to under these circumstances.

Dave, there's plenty of media-inflated stories out there, but this one is a genuine outrage.

You want sources? Do a google search of Kelo vs. New London.

Typically eminent domain is used when the owner of a property is refusing to sell to the gov't for public land use (library, school, road). At some point, unless compromise can be reached, the gov't condemns said property, then purchases it at or near market value, not necessarily prevailing fair value. They then give th eowner X amount of time to move or have the sheriff boot them, physically if need be.

The 2004(?) ruling by the Supreme Court added private land use to eminent domain. So now, a library, a police station, a fire house or a WalMart can be built, by force & demand, if the local entity decides that the tax dollars from Deer Shit in a Creek Estates will be higher than that from Fergusons big ole piece of property. That may be worth starting a civil war over.

I believe this particular story is the basis of the landmark case. Say, what ever happened to David Souters house being condemned for a water park?

HomeLAN said:
Actually, the property in question is to be seized for development of retail space, significantly increasing the tax revenue to the town over what the residences bring in. The city fathers have pretty much admitted that this is the primary cause for their eminent domain action.

Under those circumstances, who fucking cares what the offer was? The city shouldn't have the right to seize my home, under threat of using condemnation and paying me zero for it, to turn it over to developers. That house is mine, I paid for it. If you need a road, a school, or have some real need, OK. We can talk. If you simply want to turn it over for "redevelopment", you shouldn't be able to force me to move.

Kelo, in this case, liked her home. Liked the view of the waterfront, had just remodeled. She simply didn't want to leave. And she shouldn't have to under these circumstances.

Dave, there's plenty of media-inflated stories out there, but this one is a genuine outrage.

You want sources? Do a google search of Kelo vs. New London.

Wanna really scream? That airport was supposed to have 2 major highways to it. One was never completed. It was supposed to have a high speed rail link. The station build inside the terminal (which most people didn't even know existed) was used for the hotel laundry.

Then, after all that, they move all the air traffic back to the airport that they said in the sixties, was too small. And they turn over that new, better, airport and it's runways .... to Bombardier/Canadair for commercial production.

the area to be developed is 90 acres and contains 115 parcels.
link

all but 2 have agreed to sell and leave.

call me cynical, but i'll bet that these 2 parcels are situated where it can hold up the entire development. everyone has their price. i bet the last 2 holdouts just havent heard a number they like.
it would not suprise me in the least if this gets settled out of court.

Sometimes the price can never be high enough. It's my house & I should have the right to NOT sell. Period.

i'm not disagreeing with that.
i just think there is an underlying reason why these 2 are holding out other than not wanting to give up their homes.
it is a major redevelopment plan. if those parcels were on the edges, i imagine they would have just reconfigured the layout and built around it.

And the good Lord knows we can't live without another Wendy's, a Sunglass Hut, and a Century 21 office in this exact locale...

Taxes on 2 parcels- $3756.62

Taxes on another Wendy's, a Sunglass Hut, and a Century 21 office- $21864.23

Oh yer preaching to the choir on that one. It's all about a doillar, as so many things are. And therein lies the greatest tragedy. We have allowed our government to screw us worse than the Crown ever did before we dumped tea in the water. Our forefathers had a good idea. We sold it.

Personal liberty, individual rights, states rights versus federal rights, the ability to fight city hall...all were trounced by your idol Abe. Now we suffer for the greed of the New England industrialists. It's coming home to roost. How's it feel?

I would agree that there is not enough info in the original article, it had been written to create an uproar...

But on the other hand eminent domein should not be used to further government projects and make land grabs for property that is convienyent...

highwayman said:
I would agree that there is not enough info in the original article, it had been written to create an uproar...

Read the Supreme Court ruling. That is where the tragedy took place.

Gen Lee said:
states rights versus federal rights
There can't be a federal if the states run away. Cohesion, above all else, otherwise it's Germany, France, Croatia, Romania, Spain, Portugal, et al....all over again.

Back