heathen savages...

Don't you think it would be a good idea to buy the gun BEFORE parking in the bad neighborhood, instead of after?

Altron said:
Yeah, except -

My key is metal.
The lock is metal.
The lock is attached to the body.

So I'm not sure that elecritifiying it is the way to go.

If I ever park in a really bad neighborhood, I'm going to remove the wire rims and put them in the back. That's what's great about having steel wheels with nice rims on them.

God, you guys make it difficult. You tie the alarm through it .... with a relay. When the alarm's off, no link to the coil. Arm the car ... and the coil goes live. If you add remote locks ... it's an easy leap to have the door handles active.

Inkara1 said:
Don't you think it would be a good idea to buy the gun BEFORE parking in the bad neighborhood, instead of after?
what better place to find one?

The metal chasis is connected to the metal trailing arms with metal springs, which is connected to the metal axle, which is connected to the metal steelies, which are connected to the metal wire rims.

The term is "wire rim" or "wire wheel" not hubcap.

plymouth_breeze_hubcap.jpg

This is a hubcap. Note the fugliness, the cheapness, the plasticness, and the way that it mounts using clips.

HPIM0995.jpg

This is a wire rim. Note the excellent design, highly reflective chrome, high quality metal construction, beautiful Olds emblems (Oddly enough, it doesn't have the Rocket V8 emblems on the wheels), and the fact that it bolts onto the center of the steel wheel.

Also note the white stripe. Pure class.

Also, I would like to point out that cheap wannabe wire wheels only have one row of spokes, whereas mine has two, and the center hub is raised away from the wheel, which looks really nice. They are hands down the BEST looking wire wheels that I've ever seen.

It's still a hubcap. Just because it bolts to the center of the wheel doesn't mean it's not a hubcap. See exhibit 1, the hubcap off of my Dodge Neon. It bolts to the lug nuts, so since it doesn't use any sort of clip to attach to the wheel, I guess by your logic it's not a hubcap.

Exhibit 2, the hubcap off the 1962 Fairlane. Note the excellent design, highly reflective chrome and high-quality metal construction. Also note the whitewall tires.

Face it. Your car has HUBCAPS.

Inkara1 said:
It's still a hubcap. Just because it bolts to the center of the wheel doesn't mean it's not a hubcap. See exhibit 1, the hubcap off of my Dodge Neon. It bolts to the lug nuts, so since it doesn't use any sort of clip to attach to the wheel, I guess by your logic it's not a hubcap.

Exhibit 2, the hubcap off the 1962 Fairlane. Note the excellent design, highly reflective chrome and high-quality metal construction. Also note the whitewall tires.

Face it. Your car has HUBCAPS.

What he said,rims are what the tire(rubber) goes on,by your logic you have two sets of rims per wheel :rofl4:

Altron said:
Yeah, except -

My key is metal.
The lock is metal.
The lock is attached to the body.

So I'm not sure that elecritifiying it is the way to go.

wear rubber gloves... :)

Aunty Em said:
Those are crumpets... and I like them toasted with jam/jelly. :)

These are English muffins:
http://www.wolfermans.com/store/SHOP_BY_PRODUCT___English_Muffins?Args=&page_number=1

they're a bit more like a bread roll only flat and i think they're made with buttermilk and bicarbonate of soda to make them rise. They come in white, wholemeal, sultana and cinnamon and raisan (my favourite).
So what they bill as English muffins here are more like crumpets? Or at least flatter than authentic English muffins. Okay, thanks.

A.B.Normal said:
What he said,rims are what the tire(rubber) goes on,by your logic you have two sets of rims per wheel :rofl4:

I agree aswell!

Hubcaps can be removed without removing the tire (even if you have to remove the bolts to get it off you don't have to remove the tire)...having a rim sit by itself involved removing the tire from the car and then the tire from the rim.

Exhibit C, the RIMS from my Pursuit. Notice how the asthetic part is directly connected to the part that the rubber tire sits on. Also notice how you can see the breaks because there is no essentially solid steel rim present.

tonksy said:
So what they bill as English muffins here are more like crumpets? Or at least flatter than authentic English muffins. Okay, thanks.

The english muffins we get here look just like traditional english muffins from the site visited :shrug:

Re English Muffins, the ones I eat (Thomas's, usually) are just like the middle ones in Aunty's post. The "house brand" Kroger ones look like Tonsky's, but they are not sweet.

Re wheels and hubcaps, you guys are trying to use two definitions to describe three different things. Traditional wire wheels (as in early cars) are laced like bicycle or motorcycle wheels. the spokes are held into the rim with special nuts. It is very hard to make such a rim tubeless, so modern wire wheels are typically a chrome rim with a wire "basket" (if you look at a set of Tru-spoke wheels this is what you'll see) that bolts or locks into the center. You can run these without the wire basket, but it's not considered a hubcap. Wire hubcaps are typically beat on. GM kind of blurred the distinctions by taking a traditional steel (non-chrome) wheel and welding bits to it to more or less permanently attach the "hubcap." GM lists them as wire wheels and they were an option on Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. Not really a hubcap, not really the same as an aftermarket wire wheel. :shrug:

chcr said:
Re wheels and hubcaps, you guys are trying to use two definitions to describe three different things.

Actually no,all we are trying to say is Altron's car has "hubcaps" and not wire rims . :D

A.B.Normal said:
Actually no,all we are trying to say is Altron's car has "hubcaps" and not wire rims . :D
True enough. No car has had wire "rims" since the sixties.

Actually, those are wheels. the rim is the circular outer part of the wheel. In this case they are cast as a solid piece, but technically the wole thing is a wheel, not a rim.

Back