heathen savages...

Altron said:
DAMNIT!

I told the guy "I heard that you shouldn't use the synthetic stuff in a motor that's been running on the dino stuff for a lot of miles" and he's like "That's just a wives tale, the high mileage oil improves the seals."

Awww, whatever, we're only talking a $7 premium on the oil change twice a year.

As a rule, whenever an 'expert' tells me something that doesn't mesh with what I personally already know ... I get a second opinion. From someone who doesn't stand to profit.

Nixy said:
I thought you were suppose to change the oil every 5,000km/3months?

I think 6000km-7000km or once a year is enough (whichever happens first).

I do every 3,000 miles, which equates to roughly twice a year. Actually, I was only at 2,700 for this one, I did it because the oil was below the "add 1 qt" line and I didn't know what brand/viscosity was in it.

The oil in my truck is changed every 3000 to 3500 miles. And, Prof, the husband who is an ASE certified mechanic prefers to use the high mileage oil in the high mileage vehicles.

Oil change depends on the car.

My car is every 10,000 miles/yearly, whichever comes first.

This last year I drove less than 700 miles but I still had it serviced... that's what being housebound does for you. It's just passed it's eighth birthday and has 18.5k on the clock.

I had one car (yes, I know I've told you before) that went 60,000km between oil changes. Using aircraft synthetic. Would have gone longer, but someone did me the favour of having an oilchange done when he borrowed the car, and pissed $150 of permanent lube out the crapper.

Luis G said:
I think 6000km-7000km or once a year is enough (whichever happens first).

I've never heard of once a year!

Why when I said my car only needs serviced every 10,000km or 6 months did everyone seem to think that was so long? I thought "standard" was 5000km or 3 months.

Back