Helpless women?

Crap! Totally missed page 2.

Preferences do not equate to excuses not to add to your knowledge base. When I grew up, before you moved out, you had to know how to do such diverse things as cooking, sewing, tire changing, oil changing, etc, ad nauseum. Some of htese abiltites I've retained, others I've lost, but at one time or another, I've known how to sew, cook, work on cars, simple home repairs, etc. I'm actually the cook of my house these days (as well as the dishwasher, laundry boy, invetment counselor, you get the idea).

Aunty, if a greater willingness to help a woman with a physical task than a man is outdated, you can classify me as happy to be an anachronism.

I keep meaning to read all this and respond, but so far I haven't. I'll just throw this out there....

Women are generally weaker than men. Helpless? Only if they want to be. I've been in martial arts for around 17 years now, in that time I have trained with several women that I would not want to meet in a dark alley, I have also had several women that do not have an agressive bone in their body, and would curl up in a corner and cry before they'd ever fight back.

I think it all goes back to thier childhoods, and how they were raised to think about women's roles. Generally in smaller towns women are raised to think they are the homemakers, child-raisers, and little else. You get in the bigger cities and women have different views, they want to be cops, firefighters, EMT's and other Strength based positions. It's all in how they think about themselves.

HomeLAN said:
I've already been slapped around enough on these types of things that I've mostly given up on opening doors for women.

Geez, i hope i don't get to met girls like that, i really feel offended if somebody rejects the education and courtesy you are showing to them.

To me, a woman complaining about you opening the door for her instead of thanking you, is a woman with a lack of education.

HomeLAN said:
I've already been slapped around enough on these types of things that I've mostly given up on opening doors for women.

That's weird. I have never had a woman look at me askance for holding a door for her. They always seem to appreciate it. Then again, I don't usually go way out of my way to do that. If I get to the door just ahead of her, I will open it and let her go through first. If a woman does that for me, I just take it as a courtesy and walk through the door. I won't fight her over who's going to hold the door, and who's going to go through first.

If a woman is a little ways behind me when I get to the door, I start to walk through but keep one hand on the door so it doesn't close in her face. But then, I think it's rude to let a door close in anyone's face, so I do that whether the person is male or female. If they're a good ways away, I just go ahead and let it shut rather than stand in the door like an idiot waiting on them.

Those are just the sort of courtesies that give you a chance to show a little benevolence towards your fellow man (and woman). They don't cost anything and they help make living within close proximity to hundreds of thousands of people a less odious experience. :p

HomeLAN said:
Aunty, if a greater willingness to help a woman with a physical task than a man is outdated, you can classify me as happy to be an anachronism.

Oh you shouldn't worry about what I think. :)

At 5 feet 8 and built like a brick shit-house I could never be described as helpless, which is why I rarely get help offered. I also have a stubborn streak a mile wide as well as being very independent minded. Actually to tell the truth if it's offered and I don't need it I decline politely. If I do I accept gracefully, my parents taught me well (on that score anyway). :D

i'm weak, lazy, and willingly submissive... i've been told i give women everywhere a bad name.
i am a feminist. not a "women are the best thing since sliced cheez and men suck" feminist, militant, in other words. i'm the type who thinks that women should have the chance to do as they please, without being limited by gender roles. isnt that what feminism was founded on?
so, that said, i have the right to be weak, lazy, and willingly submissive :p
my friend also has been told she gives women everywhere a bad name, and punks, too. because she's a punk-rocker and she wants to be a housewife when she grows up. she disgusts my other friend, whose definition of punk is stupid, and thinks that women doing anything stereotypically womanly is a huge insult.
how i feel about mens organisations having to admit women, but not the other way around, is similar to how i feel about racial minorities getting all the benefits (racially-based scholarships and clubs in my public highschool make me SO mad. i'd like to start a club exclusively for white people in my school. they couldnt stop the black students, so they can't do a fucking thing about me). in other words, i do think it's stupid.
this post is kind of meandery. perhaps contradictory, as well. blah.

Unfortunately "Feminism" has been given a bad name by the lesbian, men-hating brigade who hijacked it way back.

I guess you could say I'm a "backroom feminist" who doesn't hate men, after all they're just human like the rest of us, but wants the same opportunities of self determination which still don't exist past a certain point.

One thing I found maddening when my ex and I were together was the preference of anyone in authority to want speak to my husband about financial affairs, etc. Particularly annoying as I have always been financially independent. This included the benefits agencies(disability benefits for my daughter) and other government departments. No matter what they say this attitude is still institutionalised over here.

What a great, old thread. Thanks for pointing it out, Greenie. (Think I'll call you that, too.) :cool:

Now get ready for a bunch of words...

I was raised in a fairly traditional, extremely overprotective household. I'm the youngest of three, and my two older brothers seemed to have so many more privileges than I did. They could play outside without supervision, stay out later and drive cars while I did none of that until much later, our ages being relative. This had less to do with chauvanism than it did fear that I would somehow be hurt if I did any of those things. Being an extremely shy, introverted child to begin with, this overprotectiveness certainly delayed my social and emotional growth. As a result, I grew up being fearful as well. I was a Brownie for all of five minutes and never tried to become a Girl Scout because I was afraid to socialize with the others. I visited my brothers at Boy Scout summer camp rather than attend a summer camp myself. I was content simply to do well in school, which I did. Period. I was not an unattractive kid, but I didn't date. I didn't attend my prom, despite being asked (albeit, by a geeky guy from my physics class). I didn't get my driver's license until much, much later in life, though that's also, in part, attributable to the fact that I didn't need to, living in NYC. I didn't move out of my parents' home until...well, let's just say it was way, way too late. I didn’t leave the house to get married, as both my brothers did. I just left. Finally. It wasn't until my very late teens/early 20's that I started to rebel. In a sense, I still am.

Somehow, though, I managed to become fiercely independent, if not always capably so. I rarely want anyone’s help, male or female. There was a hint of that in me as a kid, as I would often refuse to allow my mother, a high school English teacher, to assist me with any of my projects the way she would her own students. In more recent years, when I finally learned to drive (a stick, no less) and bought my first car (an old ’79 Jeep CJ-7), I learned to change my own oil, rotor, sparkplugs, even installed new seatbelts and a fan. This is something neither of my brothers ever bothered to do as my father was not a grease monkey by any means. I became quite handy, in fact, doing such useful things as chainsawing trees, building fires, tilling soil and creating a successful vegetable garden, building birdhouses, shooting guns (accurately, I might add), etc. When I moved back to the city after a short stint upstate, I did it entirely by myself, driving a 14’ truck to Queens and assembling all the furniture myself. This is stuff my folks would never have dreamed of teaching me, in part, because they didn’t do these things themselves. I’m a bit of an anomaly in my family. The one stereotypically female thing I’ve always enjoyed and excelled at is cooking.

As for letting guys open doors for me...I allow it, but didn’t always. I wouldn’t get angry about it, but I preferred to do it myself. I believe in being polite to people, regardless of their gender, so I hold open doors for everyone. I’ve also always been unnaturally strong for someone my size, so I can lift and carry just about anything myself. The only time I can recall this being an issue was when I took a computer hardware course a couple of years ago and the instructor – a guy I happened to find attractive – was dumbfounded when I told him I had no problem carrying monitors and getting my hands and knees dirty by wiring things under the desk. I insist on doing these things myself, not because I’m a raging feminist (which I’m not), but because I just like doing that sort of thing. A recurring joke for me over the past few years has been to say that I enjoy heavy lifting, and I do! My little nieces and nephews even like to kid that I have the strength of ten men. They’ve witnessed it. :D

Bottom line: let boys and girls do what they would do naturally, but encourage them to pursue what might still be perceived as non-traditional activities for their gender. They will be better served for it.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a helpless woman. Everybody has some merit, and everybody has something to offer. That being said, there is such a person as a user. You can pretty much tell who the users are by how they ask for help. These are the 'poor, helpless me' type of individual that will let you do all the work, and then take credit for the job. They're also known as 'watchers'. They'll watch you do the work, not ask any questions, nor offer to help you do their job.

How to Argue With Females
Comedy Article by
By staff writer Justin Rebello

The Allied Invasion. The Trojan Horse. The Divine Plan. The following strategy puts them all to shame because it defines how to finally defeat the great beast of society: women.

Arguing with girls, like yoga, is a meaningless and inane exercise. A lot of guys hate doing it, most notably because it never seems like we can win. But you can win. Here's how.

Step 1. Abandon all logic. Girls don't use it, and you certainly shouldn't allow it to handicap you.

Step 2. If you believe strongly in something, do NOT give in to any aspect of it. Compromise is useless against girls, because they will rationalize that if they can get you to concede to one element, they can get you to quit on the whole fuckin' Periodic Table. (Nothing like a little chemistry humor, right?)

Step 3. Don't be afraid to take cheap shots. Ever argue with a girl about something and they randomly insult you with something that has no relevance to the argument? That's their way of trying to wear you down and push you off-topic. Fight fire with fire, I say. Tell her she has a fat ass, small boobs, an ugly face, disorienting facial hair, unwieldy hips, and is a genuinely awful person.

Step 4. Cite precedent. Girls have no concept of historical factors relating to the current situation. Most girls reading this just went over to dictionary.com to see what "precedent" meant.

Step 5. Interrupt her. Don't let her talk. Girls hate that like they hate other girls. It's hilarious, too. They get all frazzled.

Step 6. Don't take her seriously. Laugh at every point she deems serious in nature. Fart, if possible. Derail her emotional train.

Step 7. If the argument escalates, cut off all communication with her. If a girl can't find you, she can't continue arguing about bullshit. Change your phone number, relocate, and get a name change if you must.

Step 8. Don't be fooled by "Let's stop arguing please." That's their way of making you let your guard down, so they can swoop in after you're worn down. Instead, say something like "Yeah, all this being right is exhausting for me." Pisses them off. Just trust me.

Step 9. Compare her unfavorably with another girl. This is especially effective if the comparison is with a girl that they simply abhor. Tell her something like, "Lisa is so much more compassionate than you." Girls hate other girls, like a deer hates a shotgun. And how do you take down a deer? Exactly.

Step 10. Don't be intimidated by the water works. That's their ultimate contingency, knowing that guys can't deal with a crying girl. Stay strong, don't let yourself get emotional, just think of something funny. Replay scenes from "Office Space" in your head if you must.

Step 11. Bust out, "I don't feel like fighting. I've proven my point." Then stop. Leave the argument. It pisses them off because a guy's natural reaction is to resolve, whereas a girl's is to continue forever and ever until the end of time until they hear that they are right. If a guy decides that he is right and won't budge, their whole concept of male-female relations is shot to shit. Again, mind games.

Step 12. Ask her if she's on the rag. Self-explanatory.

Step 13. When all else fails, tell her she's just like her mother. It's an ace-in-the-hole and will emotionally cripple her to such a degree she may even forget her whole argument.

Remember, girls are the less intelligent of the genders. All throughout history men have out-thought, out-invented, and out-created women in every facet of existence. Isn't it about time we won an argument for once? Gentlemen, that time is now.

Aunty Em said:
I have to agree with you on the womens movement, they don't help their own case by their attitude. It seems the me that "he who shouts loudest" gets heard and those of us who think like me are ignored. I'm as often frustrated by the attitude of other women as by men.

I was brought up to believe that I can do anything that I want to do and it was a shock to me at 14 to discover that other people put limitations on me which didn't exist in my own mind. I began riding a motorcycle when I was 21 and just because I prefered traditionally male pursuits, and still do to some extent, I got labelled as a lesbian by other women, which is untrue. :eek:

There were times when I really wished I was male because it would have made life, in many ways, so much easier. But then I would probably have been gay. :)

Same here, Aunty Em --- including the motorcycle. I always had much more in common with the guys in school. Girls always wanted to talk about their hair and makeup --- neither of which I cared about.

I appreciate it when a person(be it male or female) opens a door for me --- I never fail to say "thank you." (It must be the grey hair--LOL).

I don't expect my husband to do everything physical around the house. I'm perfectly capable of running a mower/weedeater/edger. I don't hit my thumb or the wall when wielding a hammer. I do know the business end of a screwdriver and a power drill. I took a small-block V8 engine apart, did an overhaul, rebuilt it,(with no parts left over), put it back in, and it ran.

I must admit though, that changing a tire on my car defeats me. Oh, not because I can't jack it up and get the flat off. I have a full-size spare, and can't get the damn thing out of the trunk.

I feel no resentment against "men only" clubs. Women have theirs, why can't men have the same? So what if Augusta National Golf Club is men only? So what if women don't play in the NBA or the NFL. I sure as heck wouldn't want one of the 300 lb. linemen falling on me.

Professur said:
On that note, I'd like to mention that my wife is a stay at home mom. Does that mean I look after her? You've got to be kidding. If anything, she looks after me. Lets look at all that she does. She makes sure I'm up in time for work, that I've breakfast in my belly and that I've clean clothes to wear. And she does the same for our 2 kids. And all before 8 am.

We're a team. And anyone who suggests that she's a lesser partner has no idea what they're talking about.

Make that 3 kids.

My 12 year old nephew DJ is in the boy scouts and absolutely loves the hiking/camping trips they go on. Of all the "boy" type things they do, you know what he likes best? Being the cook. He's learned how to make all different types of meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

He's also very interested in first aid type stuff and they're teaching them some pretty useful stuff. I was surprised how much he knew. We're going to look into a CPR certification course for him and anyone else in my family who wants to go.

gonz said:
Get married & they can't do a thing :D
I must have missed this the first time around. Or I was ignoring you. ;)

Being married doesn't change anything with the insurance. If he and I are at the same residence and can't prove that he has insurance under his own name, they can put him on my policy whether I like it or not. Ironically, my policy renewal is today, and Rusty just got his driver's license in the mail a couple of days ago. They haven't figured it out yet, and unless I make a change to my address or my car, they probably won't for a while.

Who gives them the right to put anyone on your insurance? You pay for it. Are you saying that a (example) 16 year old nephew who is a temporary resident of your home & steals your car is going to be automatically put on your insurance? I sure as hell hope not.

They assume, if there is a licensed driver in your household that does not own their own vehicle or insure themselves, that they may be driving your car from time to time and thus, must be insured. They do it with teenagers all the time, usually upon renewal or if there are changes to your policy or claims.

On the other hand, marrieds are usually cheaper to insure than singles for auto (at least around here).

Back