How...embarrasing.

HomeLAN said:
Big, hairy black bastard, too. About 11 inches, without the tail. My mother keeps telling my wife she thought it was a cat at first, which freaks the spouse out every time. :D
Oh my fucking God. I don't think I could stay in the house with it. I'd have to go sleep in the car until it was caught. :eek:

Bish, thanks. I just did a search on ants + baby powder and came up with other stuff too; vinegar, cinnamon, black pepper, soap water. I can use the natural pesticide I have for my orchids of Neem Oil + Dawn soap for the outside of the house. But baby powder would go unnoticed on my carpet, smells better, and can be vaccummed up with all the little ant carcasses.

Steve, I just realized the thread title. Obviously, from everyone else's responses, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. It appears you've got a lot of company dealing with pests!

I think I would have settled for a large glue trap. Its what we used at Kmart 20 years ago. We caught like 20 mice a day. The endless pallets of grass seed used to have them flooding the garden shop... nice easy pickings for food.

Nope. Glue traps leave 'em alive, and I don't need the hassle. It already produced one casualty who was trying to kill it.

HomeLAN said:
Nope. Glue traps leave 'em alive, and I don't need the hassle. It already produced one casualty who was trying to kill it.

If the poison doesn't work I suggest using a glue trap and then dropping it into a huge bucket using some kind of fireplace tongs maybe and then burning it...my dad's work had a rat once who ate poison and never died...they ended up burning it in a metal garbage can...

I might drown it in a can under those circumstances. I'm thinking the smell from that particular form of BBQ would have me sleeping on the couch for weeks, accompanied by continuous screams of "What the fuck were you thinking?!"

HomeLAN said:
I might drown it in a can under those circumstances. I'm thinking the smell from that particular form of BBQ would have me sleeping on the couch for weeks, accompanied by continuous screams of "What the fuck were you thinking?!"

hahaha yeah I guess the backyard while the wife and child are inside isn't exactly the same as a garage filled with greasy men working on fixing big rigs :D

Professur said:
Never heard of salt having any effect on ants before. Slugs, yes. But that's the first time I've heard of ants.
backdoor neighbour mentioned it to me. I went to a Dollarama, bought a box ox salt and gave it a try. Worked surprisingly well. Also stopped the weeds from creeping out from 'twixt the patio-stones. :)

http://www.tipztime.com/area/bugtipz/ants.html

[font=geneva, arial]Repellents: Ants can be repelled by vinegar, cayenne pepper, citric extracts, bone meal, cinnamon, cream of tartar, salt, and perfume. You will have to keep trying different repellents to find the one your ants aren't willing to tolerate. Place lines of the selected repellent at points of entry and at various points along their path.

A lot of the tips involve destroying the ant's 'chemical markers' that lead'em to food. A bleach solution seems to be on par.

I usually try for the 'safe' method instead of going Agent Orange on them... I've got a kid and cats to worry about.
[/font]

Re: Rats. Found a few nice tips.

http://www.bugspray.com/article/rats.html

If you suspect you have rodent activity around pet food or bird seed, DO NOT REMOVE the food until the animal has been successfully trapped, relocated or destroyed using any of the options which this article will detail. Simply put, rodents are creatures of habit. If you remove their food source thinking they will leave, you are forcing them to forage further into your property for food
If you know the route of entry to your building, DO NOT CLOSE OR SEAL THE HOLE UNTIL YOU KNOW THERE IS NO ACTIVITY AND THE ACTIVE RODENTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED OR DESTROYED FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES IN THIS ARTICLE. This is another critical part of rodent control. All too many times people will unknowingly close or seal holes thinking the rodents will simply go away. Nothing could be further from the truth
The best part - buy a portable blacklight. Turn off the lights, turn on the blacklight and search rooms where the rats might've urinated. Rat feces and urine WILL make you sick. Wear a mask while cleaning (DO NOT GO CHEAP ON THE MASK!!!).

Ooh-electrocution!!!

Oh, no. The poison always does the job, and it's easy to verify. Put some more out in the same spot where he was getting into it before. As noted, they're critters of habit, and if he's still out there, he'll come back for some more.

Professur said:
Isn't that for slugs?
ya got a thing for slugs, eh?

Both, I'd guess. Never heard of using beer to catch slugs. :shrug:

The humanitarian part, is that using beer to catch rats is that you're doing the rats a good deed

so .. wait a minute ... let me get this right ..

rats like beer...
slugs like beer...
roaches like beer...

... and it kills them???

does that mean if i fall in a vat of beer, it won't be as heavenly as i thought it would be?

is there a species alive that doesn't like beer? LOL

The beer'l only kill them if they drown in it. The link that I put up states that it'll help prevent cancer in rats. :)

The store my wife owns used to have a mouse problem. I put out glue traps...caught 3 mice and one small snake. I believe the live snake was poisonous because the mouse was bloody around the nose and mouth area...a sign of poisoning. The other two traps had one live mouse each. All three traps went into the dumpster. I've recently set out poison bait blocks that are getting some attention also.

Back