How guarded are you on the net?

Professur

Sure, but you're never home either. Always out galavanting. Romping here and there. Violating borders, burning gas, and tearing up roadways.

unclehobart

I haven't left the state outisde of a family emergency since last August. It is nearing regular spring/summer temps again... and that always gets my wanderlust itch back into high gear. I'm still looking for a destination/invitation.

unclehobart

kuulani said:
You know, someone from the continent once asked me how long the drive would be to Hawai'ï :tardbang:
If a really, really, really abysmal winter hit and froze the Pacific ... hmm... I could get there in about 4 days, with an oil change en route and a about 12 hours of nap time. God help me if the radio breaks.

Prof, done. my uncle has first dibs on me in setting up a 250 mile run on the Appalachian Trail sometime this Spring/Summer corridor. Were you going to let me hook up with you and the missus in Toronto, or were you just going to direct banish me up to the lakes region?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
unclehobart said:
God help me if the radio breaks.

Unless you got Satellite Radio, I'm betting you'd crap out on reception before it broke.

unclehobart

I have the XM satellite system. It has a better range that you would think. My signal was clear and strong 500 miles deep into Canada and beyond last summer. In any case, the thing has a CD player .. and I have a few books on CD. Thats always good for chewing up the odd 20 hour block of time.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
How do you like the XM? I've seen it and thought about getting it, that's just buying hardware, right? No service charges to pay?

unclehobart

10$ a month. You have roughly 150 channels to skim through... but it does seem to follow a few broad chunk patterns for about 1/3 of it. You will have like 4 urban/hip hop stations, 5 country, but only one classic rock. The single digit channels from 4-9 play only music from that particular decade; 4=40s, etc. Once you hit the low 40s channels, you start getting college rock, alternative, jazz, lounge lizard, new group, small market specialty taste stuff for tons and tons of channels all the way up to about 112. Thats where you pass the two classical stations and then you slide into the direct tv feeds for CNN, Fox, BBC, CNBC, Headline News, ESPN. Some of them also tailor a radio grade broadcast on top of it all. 2 comedy channels, Discovery radio (boring), several lame talk radio format stations, and a channel dedicated to books on tape and radio drama.

The really good thing is that you almost have no commercials on the music stations. The news ones still have all of the regular breaks that you would see on tv. The comedy station only allows like one commercial per 30 minutes.

I find myself hopping channels constantly because I'm convinced that something is better juuuuust on the other station. Flip flip flip. I also can tell that they record and rebraodcast huge 4 hour blocks over and over again at different times for all of the music and what not... but with 100 music channels, you don't have to suffer it. Just flip over to something that you've never bothered with.

The trouble is basic human nature. You track down and isolate like 5-6 favorite stations and get hung up on them and rarely venture far afield.

HomeLAN

Cool, Unc. I'll start keeping an eye out for really good meat. What's yer favorite BBQ'd?

This is the only drawback to having a family. I'd love to go with ya to Prof's, but it ain't gonna happen.

Professur

There's plenty of space ...

Unc, If you're going by Toronto, I could hook up with you anywhere en route. Or I might even be able to pull off a full TO run for the butchers.

Oh, and Unc, :rofl3: you're gonna try and drive 4 days across ice in weather cold enough to freeze the pacific solid in the tropic zones and you're afraid to come north in december?? And you're worried about radio reception?

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3:

Mirlyn

My friend has XM and he likes it. We do often lose reception if we go downtown though, with the buildings and all. Other than that, its not bad. There are times when I can't find anything on it, and times when we keep driving around because they're on a roll of good music (like unc said, mostly commerical-free).

Professur

If you look into it, you'll probably find that the roads to TO are easier and better than those direct to MTL. And you already know the route.

unclehobart

I do? I've only run amok in Saskatechewan and Alberta. I've never made one of the big bridge crossings. I would just assume cross in Buffalo since it would allow me to see a good chunk of New York and upstate Pennsylvania. Thats good driving country. I would do anything to avoid Ohio .. yeech.

I know you gave me a rudimentary crash course in where your house is .. but I never wrote it down. I would get lost two clicks over the border.

unclehobart

Edmonton, Sakatoon, Regina, Calgary. The closest I've ever been to Toronto is a midnight dash across Michigan last June.

kuulani

HomeLAN said:
This is the only drawback to having a family. I'd love to go with ya to Prof's, but it ain't gonna happen.

*sigh* I know what you mean. I love the husband and baby, but it's hard to be on the go ...