How's your garden doing?

catocom

My neighbor swears by liquid seaweed as a fertilizer for his garden. I have some and have been using it occasionally. I don't fertilize every week, though. Maybe I should.

Which tomato plants are these? Early Girl?

oops I missed this....

those are 6 rutgers, and 2 parks whoppers.

valkyrie

oops I missed this....

those are 6 rutgers, and 2 parks whoppers.
I'm not familiar with these tomatoes. I'll have to look them up online. I always look for the sugar content. :D

I didn't spray Seven enough (only once) and I got squash vine borers. :( Damn SVBs! I'm going to have to yank the squash out. I'm wondering if I can replant this late. I know I can plant winter squash but was hoping for more zucchini than I got.

catocom

just got my onions harvested. They did ok, but that's all. Nothing special.
My silver queen corn didn't make.
My golden queen corn is turning out good, but a beaver has started chopping it down.
I'm hoping some sevin will keep him off of it.
Something just cleaned out my lettuce again. It's not worth trying to grow anymore for me. I'm done with the lettuce growing. I'll just buy it.

Gonna have crowder peas starting to come off next week.
My watermelon plants look real healthy too, and the cucumbers are coming along.

I think I'll have a tomato or 2 ready in about a week too.
I didn't have many okra that made it, but the ones that did look real good,
and will have some coming off next week also.

I'm hoping it's not too late to plant some pumpkin...I'm going to try um anyway.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
sevin, for a beaver? .22 beats sevin every time.

I'm hard at work tilling it right at this moment (well, right at this moment I'm cooling off in the special AC computer room)
It's still muddy - sinec April first, we haven't gone more than three days without rain :(

catocom

I figure it'd put a bad taste in his mouth.
I'd have to camp out to shoot him. He works in the pre-dawn hours.
It's against the law to shoot um anyway, although I could probably get away with it.

Dave

Veggies have been in for a couple weeks now. Growing nicely. Already have a few flowers on the zucchini plants. The big gardens we put in a few years ago are thriving. Just planted 6 more shrubs and are in the process of making another flower garden out back. Planted a row of some small flower. Not sure what they are as the resident rabbit has found them to be extra tasty.

valkyrie

Cat, try growing your lettuce as a fall/winter plant. I'm going to try that this fall.

My beans are spent. I will plant pole beans in September.

All the squash are done except for these funky white, scalloped squash. They're tasty but you have to get them small before the seeds develop.

Tomatoes are rockin'.

Okra is still small. (WTF?)

Jalapenos are producing big! WTF do I do with all these jalapenos!?! Ack!

BTW, the blackberries were divine. They are done for this year. There wasn't enough that didn't get eaten right away to store in the freezer. I eat half of them while harvesting. Love them so much.

catocom

yeah, I've still got plenty of lettuce seed.
I'm just not going to pamper it as much from not on.
I found out the jack-rabbit is a good climber, and was climbing my 4' fence.
I'll have to put a top on it, or trap or kill the rabbit.
I've heard rabbit was good eating, but I've never tried it.
I'm not fond of the idea of killing it though. I like rabbits.

I'm mad at the beaver. It took out 10 more corn plants last night.
I'm not going to have any corn much.

On the up side though....
I've got a baby watermelon now, about the size of 2 thumbs.
an
I think I'll have quite a few cucumbers soon. They have blooms all over.

I'll have tomatoes, and crowder peas coming off tomorrow.

valkyrie

I have a lot of half eaten tomatoes, dammit. More spoiled tomatoes go to the chickens than in my belly right now. I think it's grasshoppers. I can't let loose chickens in my garden to eat them because chickens eat more than just the bugs and will scratch up the roots of my plants.

I hear Guinea Fowl are good for gardens. They don't touch the plants and they will remove the bugs. Anyone hear anything about them?

valkyrie

Cucumbers are a bust this year. I'm not sure why they are not fertilizing. Not enough bees? I haven't had a lot of bees in the garden this year. I'm going to have to get in there with a Q-tip if I want any cucumbers this season.

Professur

I don't actually like them. I bought the plant 14 years ago for the wife. I don't think she's eaten more than half of one year's crop in all that time.

catocom

not my year for a garden.
The tomatoes are about all I got.
Everything else got eaten or destroyed by one thing or another. :(
No enthusiasm to do anything else much.

valkyrie

I don't actually like them. I bought the plant 14 years ago for the wife. I don't think she's eaten more than half of one year's crop in all that time.
Oh, then no big loss.
not my year for a garden.
The tomatoes are about all I got.
Everything else got eaten or destroyed by one thing or another. :(
No enthusiasm to do anything else much.
We've had a hellofa year for grasshoppers. It's been wet so the grass has also been choking everything in it's path.

But don't knock the tomatoes. I had another bacon and tomato sandwich on Monday and I had a bunch in my salad today. Tasty tasty tasty. :)

I decided to save a bunch of peaches from the orchard this year. I bagged them in quart bags after removing the pit and steam-blanching them. I didn't peel them at all. I'm hoping that by freezing them the skins will slip off like a tomato will if you freeze it. I'll let you know when I start using the frozen peaches later in the year.

catocom

But don't knock the tomatoes. I had another bacon and tomato sandwich on Monday and I had a bunch in my salad today. Tasty tasty tasty. :)

oh I'm not knocking.
I'm greatful for that haul.
Mom has canned quite a bit already.:cool:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Cucumbers are a bust this year. I'm not sure why they are not fertilizing. Not enough bees? I haven't had a lot of bees in the garden this year. I'm going to have to get in there with a Q-tip if I want any cucumbers this season.

I've had one good crop in the last 5 years. Plenty of flowers, plenty of bee's. The neighbor had plenty. Ph level?