How's your garden doing?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
OMG I have a shit-ton of jalapenos and I don't want them to go to waste. Any suggestions on how to store them? I don't want to can them. I suck at canning. Everything gets mushy.

Pickle or canning. They don't freeze for shit.

Or, dry them.

Mirlyn

If you do, you better share with us whatever the fuck it is that's eating those onions. I'm dying with anticipation. I didn't think anything would choose onions over carrots. :p

Watched a female Cardinal pick at my green onions over and over Saturday night. After she was done, I went over and saw what looked like very similar damage.

Who'da thunk it? :confused:

valkyrie

cool about the experiment :)
sux about the sickness :(

If you didn't notice...that story was on dec 1 2008
I watched the vid of the mom and pop, and they were absolutely terrorized.
I wasn't actually sick. I just called in "sick" to get the day off. I'm using up all of my 2 weeks of vacation in September to go to France. But thanks anyway. :)

valkyrie

cool about the experiment :)
sux about the sickness :(

If you didn't notice...that story was on dec 1 2008
I watched the vid of the mom and pop, and they were absolutely terrorized.

Pickle or canning. They don't freeze for shit.

Or, dry them.

I had some pickled ones given to me last year, and man they are good.
Pickled them last night and used a plastic sandwich bag over my hand to prevent getting the typical jalapeno burn. The knife was serrated and I think it punctured the sandwich bag (or it was a poor quality sandwich bag). I felt a little wetness in the bag while I was working but it didn't burn until I was about to clean up.

Three hours and a gazillion internet sites giving advice later...
... what worked: anti-bacterial gel (alcohol based) rubbed liberally over the hand repeatedly, and soaking the hand in sour cream.

:lol:

valkyrie

Watched a female Cardinal pick at my green onions over and over Saturday night. After she was done, I went over and saw what looked like very similar damage.

Who'da thunk it? :confused:
A cardinal!?! Unexpected! Really! I didn't think a bird would eat the onion leaves. I haven't seen anything online about it either.

Do you see "onions" anywhere in this reference? Neither do I. You have one hellofa freaky bird on your hands. :rofl:
http://www.birdhouses101.com/cardinal-diet.asp

Mirlyn

Was'nt the leaves, it was the, erm, stem? Just below where it transitions from green stalk to white bulb. It was picked at over and over, pulling apart the onion bulb itself and causing the plant to wilt over.

Strangest thing. Only saw it once, but it sure looked like it was pecking at the onion. Nothing else is in the bed around it and I haven't put in the late summer seeds yet (oops).

valkyrie

That is very strange. Maybe there's something in an onion that the bird needs. Vitamins/minerals? Dunno. Never knew a cardinal would eat an onion, though.

It's not time yet for bunching onions to be planted here. I just put in all my second season crops:
pole beans
summer squash (almost all zucchini)
acorn squash (it might be too late for this but we'll see)
cucumbers​

I have asparagus beans soaking in preparation of planting them tonight or tomorrow after work. This will be my second time to try them. The first was a disaster. I got 2 long beans from them. I think it was too hot and dry for them to grow properly. My theory is that they may do better in the fall (second season) rotation since this is when we get cooler temps and more rain from the hurricanes from the coast.

I used fish emulsion for my peppers, tomatoes and eggplants to give them a boost.

valkyrie

Something ate almost all of my pole beans and my tiny squash plants. But 7 out of 10 asparagus beans are growing where as they all but 2 died when planted in the spring.

catocom

I got my big corn garden spot (that bombed out) 'first turned'.

I've gotta do quite a bit more preparation, but I'm going to try to get some
mixed greens going.

catocom

I got my greens sewn yesterday, and the dirt was power dry.
Man, I'm glad to see the rain just now.

MrBishop

Got this from Tonks: Had to share

Tomato Pie

There are recipes out there but it's real simple. Slice about 3-4 tomatoes and set them to drain on paper towels and cover them too. Bake a deep dish pie crust for 10 minutes and then put a layer of tomatoes, thinly sliced onion,and diced ham or cooked bacon (if you like, you can skip the meat) and season with salt and pepper and herbs of your choice. Some people use fresh basil. Keep layering until you are near the top. Then spread on a premixed combo of 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 cups shredded cheese. I also like to add in a pinch of salt and some curry powder to my mayo mixture. Bake until golden brown and yummy. Let sit until cooled to a pleasant warm temperature. It's good cold too though.
:bgtup:

valkyrie

Kale, Collards, Turnips, and Mustard.
I don't normally sew the turnips for greens, I like the bulbs. I've not found a turnip that was good for both. Either the greens are too rough or the bulb is not good.

Have you ever tried Swiss Chard. Divine! And way easy to grow.

valkyrie

Got this from Tonks: Had to share

Tomato Pie

There are recipes out there but it's real simple. Slice about 3-4 tomatoes and set them to drain on paper towels and cover them too. Bake a deep dish pie crust for 10 minutes and then put a layer of tomatoes, thinly sliced onion,and diced ham or cooked bacon (if you like, you can skip the meat) and season with salt and pepper and herbs of your choice. Some people use fresh basil. Keep layering until you are near the top. Then spread on a premixed combo of 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 cups shredded cheese. I also like to add in a pinch of salt and some curry powder to my mayo mixture. Bake until golden brown and yummy. Let sit until cooled to a pleasant warm temperature. It's good cold too though.
:bgtup:
OMG... that sounds so delicious. I assume you don't have to peel the tomatoes. Am I right? I don't see a reference to peeling.

catocom

I don't normally sew the turnips for greens, I like the bulbs. I've not found a turnip that was good for both. Either the greens are too rough or the bulb is not good.

Purple top is all we grow 'round here.
People like um for both, but many don't like straight greens from turnip.
(that why we mix um I guess)

I don't really like any green or turnips personally, but they are easy to grow,
and most of my family likes um, and several friends/and neighbors.

valkyrie

I love Swiss Chard! The red ones! Maybe I'll do a veggie garden next year...says the girl who can't even find time to mow her lawn...
That's what I grow in my garden every year like a perennial... the red Swiss Chard. It's very tasty cooked like greens with bacon.
Not if you're slicing them..the skin pieces will be small enough to not matter.
I am sooooooo going to make this dish when I get back from my trip to France (I leave on Sunday and I'm back on 10/5).