How's your garden doing?

catocom

Not sure if you know this trick with corn but...
... if you plant the corn in a ditch/shallow furrow, when it gets a little taller and the wind starts shifting it you just push the dirt into the ditch, covering some of the stalk of the corn. The dirt anchors the plant. This way the wind doesn't push the plant over. The root system of corn is rather shallow and corn is prone to wind damage. :swing:

yep, and we got the Piedmont clay loam, and it's tough anyway. :)

on HR 875
I truly hope they don't.

valkyrie

yep, and we got the Piedmont clay loam, and it's tough anyway. :)

on HR 875
I truly hope they don't.
Ah, loam is good for carrots if you can work some sand into it. The roots need to push through it but if the soil is too full of organic matter they taste terrible. Gotta have some sandy loam for the carrots.

I have a section that I ripped all the dirt out of and replaced it with just sandy loam. My carrots are sweet and tasty! :circle:

Have you done carrots in your soil yet?

catocom

not yet, but gonna try this year.

I got my plant crop in the ground
18 tomatoes
6 cabbage
6 sets of straightneck squash
9 cucumber
and 3 cyan

sowed some lettuce a week ago, and a few have popped up.

:beardbng:

valkyrie

not yet, but gonna try this year.

I got my plant crop in the ground
18 tomatoes
6 cabbage
6 sets of straightneck squash
9 cucumber
and 3 cyan

sowed some lettuce a week ago, and a few have popped up.

:beardbng:
I haven't had any success with lettuce. It gets eaten by caterpillars before I can harvest it and eat it myself. I hesitate to spray, but I'm now spraying the squash (because the squash bugs are starting their infancy on the squash and then traveling to our peach orchard to suck on the peaches). I hate spraying... just hate it. Nothing else in my garden gets sprayed for bugs and I like it that way. But I don't know what else to do.

EDIT (adding): Holy cow... I just noticed you said "18 tomato" plants... you're going to have A LOT OF TOMATOES! :eek:

catocom

we started good with 4 4x8 boxes, but expanded, and went ground.
Boxes require more weedeating, and maintenance.
It depends on the crop too, kinda though.

valkyrie

We just finished our herb pots. Next year we'll be doing raised gardens.
I love my raised beds. I have one devoted to carrots that has sandy loam in it. Carrots taste like like the dirt they grow in if there is too much organic matter. Sweet potatoes require a somewhat poor soil to force the tubers to fatten up and store energy. The raised beds allow me to differentiate the soil according to the needs of the vegetables I plant there.

I never had problems having to weed the beds, as Catocom seems to have had.

valkyrie

it'll get us through a year
I make a lot of spaghetti, chili....soup...
Ever try tomatoes in a dehydrator? Cut up those extra grape or cherry tomatoes and lay them in the dehydrator. You can bag them up after (airtight) and store them either in the refrigerator, or in a cool dry place in your pantry. They totally rock! They become even sweeter than when they were fresh. You can use them in recipes or just eat them as treats. I like them especially on top of a slice of brie topped baguette.

catocom

no can't say as I have.
I don't do the little maders much. I gotta make production with my time.

I'm big on the science. I Like to try to see how much production I can get per sq/ft.

valkyrie

no can't say as I have.
I don't do the little maders much. I gotta make production with my time.

I'm big on the science. I Like to try to see how much production I can get per sq/ft.
I like to experiment and research, to find out what will grow and when. This is the first year I am becoming successful at growing peas.

Mare

I don't have any veggies, just an orange tree, its doing very well, 2nd year and flowers all over it!!!

My flowers on the other hand, are doing FABULOUS DARLIN",LOL.

MrBishop

because, you know, in this new era we are all one. heaven forbid someone try and produce something for himself. no sir no way no how. that might make his lazy neighbor feel bad about himself. cant have that. much better to have a limit on what a man can provide for his family, himself, or his business. and who better to moderate set and control that limit than your friends in washington from whom all blessings flow kumbaya i'd like to teach the world to sing
239 bushels for 'personal use'?
239B * 60lbs = 14,340 lbs of wheet - 7 Tons of fuckin' wheet for 'ersonal use'??!?
:rofl:
Buddy was trying to pull one over on the GVT and they caught him at it. Too bad, so sad.. nuthin' to see here.

Inkara1

:hippy:oops, I mean where's that tomato?

I wonder how many times you've posted that.:lol2:

/does search

I myself have posted it four times now at OTC. Ardsgaine posted it once, as did Vortex.

Whatever happened to those two, anyway?

valkyrie

239 bushels for 'personal use'?
239B * 60lbs = 14,340 lbs of wheet - 7 Tons of fuckin' wheet for 'ersonal use'??!?
:rofl:
Buddy was trying to pull one over on the GVT and they caught him at it. Too bad, so sad.. nuthin' to see here.
It depends on what he was going to use it for. Besides, the government shouldn't be dictating to the farmer what the farmer grows. It's the farmer's business... in the sense that this is his livelihood ... what he grows, and sends to market. If that crop doesn't sell, it's the farmer's fault and the farmer takes the hit. Farmers aren't stupid, they watch the commodities markets very closely, as well as water requirements, temperature fluctuations, rotation schedules, common pests, etc. for various crops. It's not all mom & pop growing a few extra tomatoes or corn to sell to the city folk grocers anymore.

valkyrie

I don't have any veggies, just an orange tree, its doing very well, 2nd year and flowers all over it!!!

My flowers on the other hand, are doing FABULOUS DARLIN",LOL.
Any edible flowers? (You could post pics of your flowers... it might inspire me to do something with my non-veggie areas. :D)

H2O boy

It depends on what he was going to use it for. Besides, the government shouldn't be dictating to the farmer what the farmer grows. It's the farmer's business... in the sense that this is his livelihood ... what he grows, and sends to market. If that crop doesn't sell, it's the farmer's fault and the farmer takes the hit. Farmers aren't stupid, they watch the commodities markets very closely, as well as water requirements, temperature fluctuations, rotation schedules, common pests, etc. for various crops. It's not all mom & pop growing a few extra tomatoes or corn to sell to the city folk grocers anymore.

save your breath. hes a canuck commie. he surrendered his rights to the government years ago and now thinks everyone else should too