Just how religious are you?

How religious are you?

• My God's my best friend, all (s)he says Goes!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I attend/pray/etc... when I feel like it

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I attend/pray/etc...when I HAVE to

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Religion is the opiate of the masses...leave me out of it!

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
Actually freako, Catholics does offer sacrifices to God, not in the form of killing something, but rather in privation of some of the things they consider pleasures.

Apparently, their god likes to know that they are capable of sacrificing themselves just to show him their love.

On 2nd thought, that also makes me sick.

then why do Catholics/Christians offer sacrifices if not to please God?

yes they do, as Luis said, generally they involve fasting and other acts of denial rather than a quart of goat's blood, a virgin, and a big friggin knife

Holy Communion is Christ's sacrifice being re-enacted, so technically the priest makes a sacrifice every time he says Mass.

I always wondered about the many many passages that refer to offerings...here's one of hundreds

Exodus 10
24Then Pharaoh called Moses and said, "Go, serve the LORD; your little ones also may go with you; only let your flocks and your herds remain behind." 25But Moses said, "You must also let us have sacrifices and burnt offerings, that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God. 26Our livestock also must go with us; not a hoof shall be left behind, for we must take of them to serve the LORD our God, and we do not know with what we must serve the LORD until we arrive there."

Gonz said:
That's exactly why I respect the Catholics & the Jews. They know that Gods word doesn't need updating

Not undating...reinterpretation. Some of the laws/rules/morals from biblical times just don't apply any more.

F'r instance....if my brother dies before he impregnates his wife, is it still my duty to knock her up? Am I still allowed to stone my mother do death if she wears red on Sundays? If my wife refuses to have sex with me, can I still burn her at the stake?

So confused!?!

When the bible was written, a lot of today's technology didn't exist, travel wasn't so easy, families weren't so spread out, cities much smaller etc...

Like I said...sometimes, the old rules just don't apply anymore.

yeah, the create new ones (some of them stupidier than older), like "it is a sin to use any anti-conceptive method".

A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?"

The man says, "Methodist."

St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to room 24, but be very
quiet as you pass room 8."

Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. "Religion?"

"Baptist."

"Go to room 18, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."

A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"

"Jewish." "Go to room 11, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."

The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for
different religions, but why must I be quiet when I pass room 8?"

St. Peter tells him, "Well the Catholics are in room 8, and they
think they're the only ones here.

Luis G said:
it is a sin to use any anti-conceptive method".

Actually...that's not new... it's related to the knock-up-your-brother's-wife law...Seems that the brother "Spilled his seed" on the ground...it also encompases masturbation.

Basically...you can't waste sperm...it's for procreation only...if you're not planning on having kids...keep your sperm where it is ...running laps in the sack. :)

i thought it was all speculation that god demanded burnt offerings in the Bible that he was against it? thanks gonz. and thanks everyone who explained it to me i had thought the Christian religions didnt have any kind of sacrifice.

Back