Leftovers

Man what a relief. I was fearful this thread might be about dating habits in college...

We polished off the leftovers a few days ago. Now we are almost dying for anything not turkey or ham based. Thus, I am gonna brave the elements tonight and grill up some steaks. :finger: Gonna be goooo-ooood after all that bird and ham.

Luis G said:
Chile con carne y frijoles, but since you order them from quantities to say "con", I guess it should be Carne con frijoles y chile.
:laugh5: having tasted canned chili i would be negligent to put the carne first!

Hang on... when was Thanksgiving again?

You people are still eating the left overs?

Blimey! I reckon unlike in Blighty where the hospitals are full of drunken casualties over the festive period... in America they'll be full of the food poisoned!!!! :sick:

tonksy said:
:laugh5: having tasted canned chili i would be negligent to put the carne first!

You mean you buy chili con carne sin carne? :confused:

As for leftovers, I learned as a child to hate them. My mother would always buy a huge turkey...and we'd have turkey until about a week before Christmas. I called that a reprieve, because guess what the main course was on Christmas? :hmm: Another humongous bird, and 3 more weeks of turkey left-overs. Not that it tasted bad, but you get tired of turkey when you have it so long. I thought the freezer was the worst invention made for at least 14 years... :brush:

Gato_Solo said:
You mean you buy chili con carne sin carne? :confused:

As for leftovers, I learned as a child to hate them. My mother would always buy a huge turkey...and we'd have turkey until about a week before Christmas. I called that a reprieve, because guess what the main course was on Christmas? :hmm: Another humongous bird, and 3 more weeks of turkey left-overs. Not that it tasted bad, but you get tired of turkey when you have it so long. I thought the freezer was the worst invention made for at least 14 years... :brush:
i do not buy that crap! but i did serve on a navy vessel and they just love to serve canned chili.

ClaireBear said:
Hang on... when was Thanksgiving again?

You people are still eating the left overs?

Blimey! I reckon unlike in Blighty where the hospitals are full of drunken casualties over the festive period... in America they'll be full of the food poisoned!!!! :sick:

Naahhh...we have freezers...and most of us are a hardy lot. Full of piss and vinegar. ;)

Gato_Solo said:
Naahhh...we have freezers...and most of us are a hardy lot. Full of piss and vinegar. ;)

But I always thought food was cheap over there... it certainly isn't over here and I can tell you... we don't go a scraping turkey off the bone and freezing it for 3 months! :shrug:

ClaireBear said:
But I always thought food was cheap over there... it certainly isn't over here and I can tell you... we don't go a sraping turkey off the bone and freezing it for 3 months! :shrug:
it may be cheap but there is something to be said for a nice home roasted (or fried) turkey with all the fixings like momma never made. it's about taste not money.

ClaireBear said:
But I always thought food was cheap over there... it certainly isn't over here and I can tell you... we don't go a sraping turkey off the bone and freezing it for 3 months! :shrug:

Wasn't always 'cheap'...It also depends upon what you want to buy. :shrug:

One more thing. ;) We were a family of 4, and when I said a huge bird, I meant up around 30 pounds. :eek:

tonksy said:
it may be cheap but there is something to be said for a nice home roasted (or fried) turkey with all the fixings like momma never made. it's about taste not money.
*Nods*

tonksy said:

Yeah but when its frozen for 3 weeks then defrosted... you may as well buy deli meat...

Guess its just tradition for you guys... :shrug:

And Gato 30 pounds? There's 14 pounds in a stone!!!!! You had a 2 stone bird?

How the Hell did your Mum cook it? With a flame thrower in the garden? :eek:

ClaireBear said:
Yeah but when its frozen for 3 weeks then defrosted... you may as well buy deli meat...

Guess its just tradition for you guys... :shrug:

And Gato 30 pounds? There's 14 pounds in a stone!!!!! You had a 2 stone bird?

How the Hell did your Mum cook it? With a flame thrower in the garden? :eek:

Nope...just a rather large oven. It usually took between 8 and 12 hours to cook...

Leslie said:
aaaaaah memories...everybody up at 5am watchin mom stuff a bird :sick:

Well its better than watching Dad do it! :p

Blimey... a 2 stone turkey...

Suddenly the American obesity stats seem quite understandable...

I'm not even sure if you can buy a 2 stone turkey over here without ordering it from a butcher (Stew?... Have you seen one?)... I haven't seen anythin that large in a supermarket... but with WALmart owning ASDA now... I'll be checking the freezer ailse with interest!

ClaireBear said:
Well its better than watching Dad do it! :p

Blimey... a 2 stone turkey...

Suddenly the American obesity stats seem quite understandable...

I'm not even sure if you can buy a 2 stone turkey over here without ordering it from a butcher (Stew?... Have you seen one?)... I haven't seen anythin that large in a supermarket... but with WALmart owning ASDA now... I'll be checking the freezer ailse with interest!

Well...It lasted almost a month. *handonhip To be honest, I haven't seen a turkey over 20 pounds in quite a while myself. :shrug: Maybe they dont let them get that big anymore...

Gato_Solo said:
Well...It lasted almost a month. *handonhips* To be honest, I haven't seen a turkey over 20 pounds in quite a while myself. :shrug: Maybe they dont let them get that big anymore...
the ones we get are :shrug:

what does that have to do with turkey?

A big bird like that is just smarts and good housekeeping. A weeks' food or more plus soup bones for more meals.

Back