Leftovers

Leslie said:
what does that have to do with turkey?

A big bird like that is just smarts and good housekeeping. A weeks' food or more plus soup bones for more meals.
exactly. and given that they go on sale for 69 cents a pound or so around the holidays, it is just plum thrifty. i bought one even though we weren't doing thanksgiving dinner (at least the traditional one) and it's still in the freezer for later use.

Gato_Solo said:
Well...It lasted almost a month. *handonhip To be honest, I haven't seen a turkey over 20 pounds in quite a while myself. :shrug: Maybe they dont let them get that big anymore...

Hey! don't get all *handonhip* with me Mister! :p :D

Possibly... I mean it probably wasn't natural so with them stopping the artificial growth enhansers and steroids to bulk up live stock... the "supersize gobbler" is no more!

I seriously think a turkey that size would scare me... plucked... it would look like a huge mutant toddler!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ClaireBear said:
Hey! don't get all *handonhip* with me Mister! :p :D

Possibly... I mean it probably wasn't natural so with them stopping the artificial growth enhansers and steroids to bulk up live stock... the "supersize gobbler" is no more!

I seriously think a turkey that size would scare me... plucked... it would look like a huge mutant toddler!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

This was before the steroiding of livestock...:eek: They just got that big naturally...

I can still remember my father spending a good 45 minutes carving that beast into manageble slices, which my mother would then stick into tupperware for the freezing process. For the first couple of days, everybody loved the left-overs...but then the boredom set in, and mom had to get creative...turkey croquettes, turkey soup, fried turkey, turkey salad...the list was endless...

Leslie said:
what does that have to do with turkey?

A big bird like that is just smarts and good housekeeping. A weeks' food or more plus soup bones for more meals.

Big turkey... big dinner.. big portions...

You will all find this terribly offensive... I do too... but my WeightWatcher's leader often says that if we feel down about the size we are we should...

"Holiday in America... its the biggest ego boost ever! You come back feeling like Kate Moss!"

ClaireBear said:

You will all find this terribly offensive... I do too... but my WeightWatcher's leader often says that if we feel down about the size we are we should...

"Holiday in America... its the biggest ego boost ever! You come back feeling like Kate Moss!"

You caught me editing...:blush:

ClaireBear said:

you know. we have some big folks but you make us sound like the land of blubber. sure i know some larger folks but the majority of the people i know are regularly build people.

tonksy said:
you know. we have some big folks but you make us sound like the land of blubber. sure i know some larger folks but the majority of the people i know are regularly build people.

Around 70%? :grinyes:

tonksy said:

I know that Tonks... but the "Land of Blubber" tag sadly is a pretty well used and a wide spread stereotype... Shit sticks... even if it ain't the case.

Tis the way of the world... :shrug:

30% of women in Britain are over a UK size 14... thats an American 10... that stat is bandied about in the Brit press with a "shock horror" element... Most of the 30% will be no where near the BMI obese category... but its scene as a greadful slur to be within that 30%!

I think we have a lower "fat tolerance" threshold here...

Perhaps your "regularly sized" people are slightly larger than what we class as acceptable/healthy?

It is a cultural thing after all..

tonksy said:
ok...but does that warrant fat american slurs? there are fat folks all over the world...well mostly.

You must remember how the rest of the world sees us. They only get the CNN, MSNBC, and FoxNews view of us...including the health sections. If you remember your life onboard ship, you'll know what I'm talking about. ;)

what's so wrong with a little extra weight anyway? beyond health risks. people come in all shapes and sizes. wonderous variety! i think some people focus too much on the outer shell anyway....that being said i'll admit i'd love to lose some weight but it doesn't make me a bad person or unattractive. i'm juicy and i can live with that.

Gato_Solo said:
You must remember how the rest of the world sees us. They only get the CNN, MSNBC, and FoxNews view of us...including the health sections. If you remember your life onboard ship, you'll know what I'm talking about. ;)

Actually no... most of the info concerning America comes from our very own news pundits... the BBC, Channel Four...

Last week Channel 4 did a lovely show concerning "Chubby Chasers" (blokes who find morbidly obese women attractive sexually) it was done in a "shock horror... voyeuristic" way.

British women dined out on it for the whole week... "My God she had to have a trachioptomy!" "How would they do it?... get a pole to prop up the fanny covering stomach?" "How big would their beds have to be?"

And guess where these British fat loving blokes were going to get their rocks off?

The good old USA! :shrug:

tonksy said:
what's so wrong with a little extra weight anyway? beyond health risks. people come in all shapes and sizes. wonderous variety! i think some people focus too much on the outer shell anyway....that being said i'll admit i'd love to lose some weight but it doesn't make me a bad person or unattractive. i'm juicy and i can live with that.

If you look back over the last 10 years, or so, you'll notice the CDC has been spinning obesity into a disease instead of a temporary condition. Just look this over and you'll see the wonderous variety of lunacy that the CDC has started. Personally, I prefer a woman with a little meat on her bones, but the CDC says that women, and men, built like that are unhealthy...and they throw out that Body Mass Index as a bible for their cause. :shrug: Besides...who said anything about you being a bad person, or unattractive?

ClaireBear said:
Actually no... most of the info concerning America comes from our very own news pundits... the BBC, Channel Four...

Last week Channel 4 did a lovely show concerning "Chubby Chasers" (blokes who find morbidly obese women attractive sexually) it was done in a "shock horror... voyeuristic" way.

British women dined out on it for the whole week... "My God she had to have a trachioptomy!" "How would they do it?... get a pole to prop up the fanny covering stomach?" "How big would their beds have to be?"

And guess where these British fat loving blokes were going to get their rocks off?

The good old USA! :shrug:

Ahhh...shock journalism. The media at it's worst. We have shows like that over here, but they are usually called 'trash TV'. Jerry Springer and Maury Povich come to mind...They choose only to show the worst of our population. ;)

ClaireBear said:

wow :blank:

Gato_Solo said:
This was before the steroiding of livestock...:eek: They just got that big naturally...

I can still remember my father spending a good 45 minutes carving that beast into manageble slices, which my mother would then stick into tupperware for the freezing process. For the first couple of days, everybody loved the left-overs...but then the boredom set in, and mom had to get creative...turkey croquettes, turkey soup, fried turkey, turkey salad...the list was endless...

Turkey enchillada casserole. :grinyes:

Gato_Solo said:
Besides...who said anything about you being a bad person, or unattractive?

As a curvier woman myself... yup... I'm in that 30% of UK women! :D (Just... thanks to WeightWatchers) people don't have to say anything...

The idea that you're unattractive and undesirable is thrown at you every day... TV and media stars are suffering from "lollypop head disorder" and remember the camera adds at least 8 pounds!!!!!!

Clothing isn't designed for your shape... manufacturers skimp on sizings... they increase sizes in a male way... waist band not butt and legs! And the last time anyone did a size survey was in the 1930's... pre-pill, pre-processed food and better diet... women are in general bigger now in different places! shopping for clothes is demoralising.

There are now more healthy option foods in the supemarkets than anything else... there are pills and potions... classes and clubs... gyms and dances...

If you can't loose weight... "You are a bad person..."

Its so wrong.... wrong... wrong... wrong I tell ya!

But less of my anorexic values!

Leslie said:

You noticed that, too...what her Weight Watchers leader said? Sounds like somebody needs to work on their counseling skills. You don't motivate people by being negative. You motivate them by showing them that they can succeed...unless they're military...then all bets are off. :D

Back