Luis G's English to Spanish

tonksy

Oh Luuuuuis! I need your assistance.
To set the scene:
Lovely Southern Georgian Outback Steakhouse after a long day on the road. I am sipping er, gulping a margarita and Marlowe is sitting across from me and she says,
"Momma, look at that stuffed kangaroo! It has a baby with it!"
I look and say "yeah, cute, do you know what a baby kangaroo is called?"
"yeah, a joey.....but what do you call it in spanish?"
So now I am stumped by a 5 year old.
So what do you call a baby kangaroo in spanish? And while you are at it, what do you call a milkshake?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Baby kangaroo would be little kangoroo, cangurito. I don't know of any other word, such as joey, to describe them.

A milkshake is commonly known as malteada if it is made of milk and some flavour (ice/ice cream is optional). When the drink involves fruits or other stuff like eggs it is called licuado.

tonksy

Damn...I really should have figured out cangurito on my own! Milkshake? I was getting my wires crossed, I guess because I told her I thought it was lecheito or something like that. Thanks!

Tonksy
loves being able to answer kids questions

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
When they go to big kid school it gets easier. You can just go "Oh GAWD! I dunno! Ask your ____ teacher". Works like a charm, and stops them asking so many dang questions. :eyemouth:

Luis G

Staff member
To generalize the "baby-species" in spanish, you can call practically any animal as:
- cría de *insert spanish word for the animal*
- cachorro de *insert spanish word for the animal*
- or use the diminutive (canguro -> cangurito)

It is quite common to call puppies just cachorros. And the baby cows as becerros or terneros.

Luis G

Staff member
Gaspachos :D

Can't find a page mentioning them that actually resembles what we know in Morelia as gaspacho.

It is made up of mango, orange juice, lemon juice, chili, jicama, watermelon and some other fruits. Some pour queso añejo on it too.