• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeslek

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/29/mandatory.military/index.html

Hmm, what are your thoughts on this? I think it would be rather good. No I think it would be excellent. Military life for two or so years does wonders for a person, at least thats what my parents tell me. And why I want to enlist.

And remember, as with everything, there are exceptions... When I say everyone, I mean 95% of the population. Obviously if you have religious objections or illness or something like that then you shouldn't be required to serve your time.

I'm not voting, because I don't like your no response. It's not that no one should be required to serve his country, it's that not everyone should be required to serve his country. There are people that should NOT be in the military.

i say no since my fater hated the army and was drafted. id rather it be something to sign up for not mandatory. plus i dont see it work wonders on everyone but some people. what works wonders for me has been my education.

Jerrek said:
Military life for two or so years does wonders for a person, at least thats what my parents tell me

first of all, don't use the arguement that it would be excellent because 2 years in military does wonders to a person, while you didn't even serve yet yourself. kinda blows away the credibility....

second: a mandatory military isn't good in my opinion. what do you want when you go to war? a relatively small amount of highly motivated people, who have chosen to enlist, or a lot of soldiers which also include a lot of uninterested, badly motivated people?
i'd definately choose the first option.

second, not everybody has the same ideas when it comes to war...i would never trust my life to a 'buddy' in the military who isn't willing to fight for whatever reason.

third of all, i don't like the idea that my government can be able to rip away two years of my life, by making me a soldier, which i might not even want to be.
in a free country people should be able to decide themselves on subjects like these, and not the government.

Sure, what better troops to send out than rebellious teens/early 20 y/o's who were brought in against their will? I'm sorry, but I think a smaller army of men and women willing to risk their life to do their part in keeping this country safe is much better than a larger army of men and women with a bunch of rowdy teenagers who consider a normal day sitting around watching TV or posting on the internet about how much they hate [insert person, place, thing, or song here].

Shadowfax said:
first of all, don't use the arguement that it would be excellent because 2 years in military does wonders to a person, while you didn't even serve yet yourself. kinda blows away the credibility....
Well, I do listen to the advice my parents and other people around me give to me, you know... They have considerably more experience than me, and my dad was in the military too. And a lot of people, including my parents, think its advantagous for an 18 year old or so to join up for a few months or years.

second, not everybody has the same ideas when it comes to war...i would never trust my life to a 'buddy' in the military who isn't willing to fight for whatever reason.
Thats why you follow orders, and if you don't you get punished.

Americans, especially baby boomers, should be ashamed of themselves. How can the world's richest population let its military go begging for recruits?

Each year, the military services -- Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy -- establish recruiting goals to maintain adequate numbers of personnel. The numbers change annually depending on, among other factors, service needs, recruitment figures the year before and retention of current troops.

Most informed folks are familiar with the sorry statistics, but let me repeat them for the record: The Air Force has a goal of 33,800 for this year; it expects to fall short by 1,700. The Army needs 74,500 but will miss the mark by 6,300. Currently short of its goal of 53,200, the Navy expects to have enough recruits by week's end. Because of its unique tradition, the Marine Corps is the only branch that consistently fills its quota.

In all, according to the Associated Press, the services need 197,115 recruits to maintain a force of 1.4-million.

Why are the services having such a hard time recruiting? One obvious reason, according to the New York Times, is that the number of people between ages 18 and 22, the prime age for recruits, has dropped to approximately 21-million, 5-million fewer than in 1980. Another major reason, of course, is that the economy has opened job opportunities to those who otherwise might see the military as an option.

These two are real reasons for the shrinking recruiting pool, but I see another reason, one that is perhaps at the heart of the problem: As a group, those between 18 and 22 are not patriotic. And perhaps even worse, too many baby-boomer parents and other "influencers" -- teachers and coaches -- bad-mouth the military. As the New York Times reports, many of these adults are still angry about the Vietnam War, or they never wore a uniform.

Either way, the result is the same: hostility toward the military. The solution? We should bring back the draft, along with an alternative form of mandatory national service. Every American citizen has a duty to serve the nation for at least two years. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

If a high school student decides, say, to attend college first and become a doctor. Fine. He or she still must serve. Why not serve for two years in a veterans hospital? Or treat the poor who otherwise cannot get decent medical treatment? So the kid wants to become a lawyer. Good. After law school, he or she can work for Rural Legal Services for two years. Why not do something to help those who cannot afford to get their day in court? Many of them are the working poor.

In the Fort Lauderdale and Crescent City neighborhoods where I grew up, the old saying that "the service makes you a man" literally guided our lives. Despite the racial discrimination that prevented us from being real citizens, I and every boy I knew believed that we had a duty to serve in the military. Our heroes were the men in our lives who had served in World War II or Korea. My uncle Joe Maxwell, for example, was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. For us, he was larger than life.

His Purple Heart was the center of his living room -- and our lives. His example, fulfilling his duty to the nation, inspired me to give up a college deferment and join the Marine Corps. Throughout the years, as a college teacher, I persuaded many of my students to join the military. Later, all of them thanked me and have stayed in touch with me. I also have influenced several relatives to enlist. The most recent is a cousin who graduated from Stranahan High School in Fort Lauderdale in June. Today, he is a proud sailor; he will be stationed in Pensacola.

Something bad has happened to us. And I do not believe, as George W. Bush does, that the U.S. needs a "new foreign policy" if we expect to recruit effectively. Where I am from, we call such thinking bass ackward. No, we need to scrap the all-volunteer army concept and draft everyone -- including the children of the rich and the powerful in gated enclaves -- who does not volunteer. I leave the logistics to the experts.

Unfortunately, money drives everything these days. When parents advise their children on career choices, fewer of them ever mention the military. It is not an option. The New York Times quotes a 17-year-old senior in the class of 2000 about the attitudes of his peers toward the military. His response? "It's not even in their vocabularies."

http://www.sptimes.com/News/92999/Opinion/Military_service_shou.shtml

I said yes, and I'll tell you all why.

1. Most of us who serve want to be here, but some had nothing else to do and nowhere else to go. We are made up of the poor, and why should the poor be the ones who risk all so that the few who are rich do not have to suffer? Remember Vietnam, when all those draft dodgers either bought their way out of the draft, ran to a foreign country, or got Mum and Da to give them a nice, safe National Guard position? It left our military in shambles, and, until recently, it stayed that way. Now we have the idiots who are openly anti-military, and 'in charge' of the way things work. To top it off, those are the same people who think the military is a branch of charity, and heap 'peace-keeping' missions on us to a point where some of us are gone practically year-round from our homes and loved ones. Before you point me out, I am not one of the majority. I'm also going on a 6-month deployment in the coming year.

is the army going to be in favor of this plan? is the government/american people going to want to pay for it? it will cost a tremendous ammount of money to train everyone in the country for 2 years (and it will cost even more when the GI bill is brought into consideration). i suppose the southern states will be all for it (except that it was proposed by a democrat, perhaps) as it will undoubtedly bring them more military bases. in other words, more government jobs, and more people to spend money. its like government enforced tourism. (why are all the major military bases in the south anyway? is it because we tend to fight all of our wars in southern asia?) i think that if ths plan is ever enacted they should build a big camp somewhere in or around DC, so that the soldiers and lawmakers can mingle. it could also bring the threat of military coup to this country, which would be, if nothing else, incredibly amusing.

i suppose the southern states will be all for it as it will undoubtedly bring them more military bases
Why, so they can defend themselves from the evil taco-bearing Mexicans? :lol:

j/k :D

nnewton said:
is the government/american people going to want to pay for it? it will cost a tremendous ammount of money to train everyone in the country for 2 years (and it will cost even more when the GI bill is brought into consideration).
Good issue. I would prefer not to raise more taxes though, but the military budget will need to be increased significantly. I suggest we take money from all the social services that are basically just a black hole of utter uselessness and redirect it to military spending. So much of the federal government can be dissolved, and a lot of the resources going to things such as the Department of Education, Department of Housing and Urban Development, and Department of [insert very useless federal government department here]. That money can be redirected to support a bigger military and that in turn would support the people indirectly by giving the young people more direction in life. Not to mention they are employed during that time and earn money.

I think it still boils down to the same problem though, if you have a choice between guys that want to be there, and guys that are being forced to be there, which ones would you want covering your ass?

If you want to raise the number of recruits, they are going to have to up the ante a little. Start paying these guys what they are worth, start providing better care in VA hospitals, and start really giving these guys a chance to make it post-military. Every time I see a commercial for the Army where they are saying they are teaching you the skills to make it in the real world, I almost fall on the floor laughing. The majority of what you learn in the Army is how to drink a case of beer, a fifth of Crown Royal, and still make it back to your bunk without puking on your buddies. Real life skills? Would that be how to manage money? While you live in the barracks and eat in the mess hall?

Real life skills? Would that be how to manage money?

good point. i've known several people in the military who came out in worse shape financially than when they went in. perhaps living in a situation in which you could die is not condusive to responsible money management.

we had as well, just until a few years ago...

they stopped making it mandatory because people weren't motivated at all. the army had some serious trouble getting personel in the last years, but the last 2 years things have gotten a LOT better. we have a smaller army which consists of groundtroups, but they are all highly motivated.

hence my opinion on this issue :)

I've always felt that the military makes men out of boys. Did that for me. Went in a cocky punk and came out with a good head on my shoulders. Military life instills values into you. It's not all about killing and crap. Does anyone know how many MOS's in the Army are actually related to combat and how many are related to doing all the other crap? Vehicle maint., finance, health, etc...

It's about a lot of other things. Respect, ethics, and values to name a few. However, not everyone is fit for service. There will always be conscientious objectors and so forth. Fine, go do the REMF stuff. Leave them in the states to do the paper work. Make them serve though. Anyone who wants to live in this country should serve. Man or woman. Weed out the bad apples in basic and sent them to do other duties.

I voted yes before reading the entire thread. It seems to have taken a different perspective than what I was thinking when I answered. I think governments need the right to make service mandatory. Excorcising that right would be determined by the need to. But they need to have that right.

"What if they gave a war and no one came"

Looks like my statement fell on deaf ears (blind eyes?). If you make everybody who is physically and mentally able serve, then you'd have less people who demand military action. Especially from those who make that kind of decision and the wealthy. Nobody cares (on a gut level) if a stranger or a servant dies.

Back