martha stewart charged

ris

us domestic guru martha stewart has been formally charged with allegations of insider trading. it regards the shares of pharmaceutical company imclone whose former boss has admitted corruption charges concerning the companies shares and alledges he passed that info on to ms stewart

bbc more

i'm not familiar with her but thought some of those in the us might be interested in the story :)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Yep...Been watching that since they announced the probable indictment on Monday...I'm more interested in seeing some serious verdicts happen with the Enron folk...:eek6:

ris

they'll probably get a lecture on how naughty they are and told not to do it again.
then onto the next case - 15yrs for the guy who robbed $4.50 from a granny...

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
yeah...money and power can buy freedom....

justice is only relative, even in our 'civilized' countries...:(

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
Thats what I'm afraid of......:disgust2:

You've known that all along, Squiggy. To me, theft is theft, whether you steal the $4.50 from granny, or the $4 billion from Enron. Place them all in a maximum security prison, and be done with it. The old stand-by of nobody getting hurt in a white-collar crime is passe. Look how many folks lost their entire pensions over Enron, et al, and then tell me nobody was hurt. :grumpy:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confuse3: I didn't imply that no one got hurt. I want them bastards to hang hard for all the lives they've ruined. I just don't have faith that it will happen.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
:confuse3: I didn't imply that no one got hurt. I want them bastards to hang hard for all the lives they've ruined. I just don't have faith that it will happen.

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply you meant that. It was just my recurring rant on priviledge and power...

Ms Ann Thrope

new but hardly surprising development

http://www.iht.com/articles/125842.html

Martha Stewart on Tuesday repeated in a Manhattan court a plea of not guilty to five criminal counts that include conspiracy, obstruction of justice and securities fraud stemming from a sale of stock in 2001.
From the government's perspective, Cohen said, the easiest route to conviction will be the obstruction of justice count, which holds that she lied to the government when she said she did not sell her stock based on inside information. Although she is not accused of insider trading, she is accused of lying, and Cohen said, "I think that's going to be the hardest thing for her to beat."

I'm finding it really hard to care about this case, but do wonder why SHE was chosen out of all the people Waksal tipped off. Or have they all been indicted too? :confused:

MrBishop

Her trial date hadn't arrived..it just did...enough evidence to take it to real trial...where she'll face 12 men and women who probably all love her to bits.

Famous-persons Act - thou shalt not indite someone famous unless there's a good chance that they'll become more famous for the inditement, or if the fine/time is sufficiently small enough to not get you in shit with your mother-in-law when you say "It's about damn time!"

drkavnger99

MrBishop said:
Famous-persons Act - thou shalt not indite someone famous unless there's a good chance that they'll become more famous for the inditement, or if the fine/time is sufficiently small enough to not get you in shit with your mother-in-law when you say "It's about damn time!"

:lol2::moon2: