Oh, the weather outside is frightful

MrBishop

OSWEGO, New York (AP) -- While the northern Plains and Northeast shiver in dangerously cold temperatures, the folks in upstate New York are keeping warm shoveling snow -- lots of snow.

Since Sunday, the small towns of Parish and Mexico have recorded more than 6 feet of snow, and forecasters with the National Weather Service say it isn't over yet.

The area received a short reprieve Thursday as the squalls shifted south into Syracuse, where between 4 and 8 inches fell.

The lake-effect bands moved back north in the evening and were expected to strengthen overnight. (See a map of forecast lake-effect snow through Saturday morning)

"We're just trying to keep up. It's almost an unreal amount," said Mayor Randy Bateman of Oswego, where 70 inches of snow had fallen by Thursday morning. "We catch up when it stops, but then it just comes again, even heavier."

Gov. Eliot Spitzer declared a state disaster emergency for the county Thursday, authorizing all state agencies to help assist municipalities and residents in the storm-wracked region along eastern Lake Ontario. (Watch snowfall in upstate New York that's created both beauty and frustration )

Late Thursday the northern parts of Oswego County were accumulating as much as 3 inches per hour, said Dave Sage, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Buffalo. At times, the snow has fallen at a rate of as much as 5 inches an hour.

"I'm sure before morning there's going to be three or four areas that have up to 100 inches (in Oswego County)," Sage said.

Whiteout conditions forced state police to temporarily close Interstate 81 between Central Square and Pulaski, a stretch of about 15 miles.

Travel advisories against unnecessary travel were posted for Oswego and its neighboring counties. Mexico officials renewed a snow emergency declaration, and many government offices were closed. (Read lake-effect snow alerts for New York)

Schools were closed for a fourth day in Oswego and Mexico.

Temperatures in the Northeast inched back up to something closer to normal for this time of year, but the upper Midwest and northern Plains still awoke to subzero temperatures Thursday -- minus-12 in Minneapolis and 3 below zero in Chicago.

The bitter cold and slippery roads have contributed to at least 20 deaths -- five in Ohio, four in Illinois, four in Indiana, two in Kentucky, two in Michigan, and one each in Wisconsin, New York and Maryland, authorities said.

6 feet under

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
How come the person singing that song is always inside, wearing a sweater, by a roaring fire, and drinking a cup of hot chocolate? :grumpy: :confused:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Possibly 10+ feet of snow by Monday. THAT would be cool. For a couple of days.

chcr

Too cute for words
That's not that atypical up there. Its just off of Lake Ontario. Lake effect in Northern New York is the foulest phrase in the English language. I was in Watertown once when they got 82" in 14 hours once. We had to crawl out the second floor window and shovel snow off the roof. Twice. A normal snow shower in those areas is usually well over a foot.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Keep it. Please. I'll pay you.

Friday... February 9 was the sixth day in a row of sub zero
temperatures at Fort Wayne. The last time there were this many sub
zero days in a row at Fort Wayne in the month of February was in
1982... when the temperature fell below zero each day on February 6
through 11 1982. Thus... this current string of sub zero temperatures
at Fort Wayne... February 4 through 9 2007... ties the previous record
of 6 consecutive days of sub zero temperatures set in February 1982.

I'd prefer the snow.

Mare

Detailed weather forecast °F | °C
Day Forecast Description Precip chance
Today
Feb 10
Fair
Hi: 72° Lo: 52°
Day: Sunny skies. High 72F, humidity 55%. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
3% of rain
Night: Clear skies. Low 52F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
3% of rain

although I do miss snow, don't like it colder than 30 degree's

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
On another note...if it's sub zero F without windchill factored in that's EXTREMELY cold, even colder than it's been here for more than a couple days in a row.

2minkey

bootlicker
it'll be about 50 today in seattle... kinda nice since i just got back from boston where it was/is pretty stinking cold.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
On another note...if it's sub zero F without windchill factored in that's EXTREMELY cold, even colder than it's been here for more than a couple days in a row.

It's hit sub-zero air temps (fahranheit)...wind chills have been in the minus teens & twneties (forties on Monday)

chcr

Too cute for words
I'd prefer the snow.

I think the friendly folks at the southeastern edge of Lake Ontario are fortunate enough to be receiving both. It hasn't been above 15F in a week and it's been in the negative teens almost every night. At those temps, I think they could give a damn about wind chill, huh?

Some Pics

Inkara1

Looking out my window right now, the thermometer shows 58 defrees F... it's overcast and it's been raining on and off all day, but temperature-wise it's not bad. :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Upper 30s today. Did a 4.5 mile hike to three waterfalls, two of which were frozen solid and the third was working on it. Breath taking.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
With windchill it's about 0F here right now...I was just talking to my mom and she asked what the weather was going to be like in Greece in March when we go and I told her as far as I can tell it should be high teens to about twenty (celsius) and she was like "That's not that warm" to which I said "Uh, it's -10 plus windchill now..." and she was like "Yeah, it'll seem like summer to us when we get there"