One nation, under who again?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
"Christmas is not the time for religion!"

because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

And as we all know, that is exponentially more important than the millions of Christians this move will offend.

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis...

Hush now, or they'll officially rename it Festival Of Consumerism.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups.

Translation: Please don't nobody sue us, or send any suicide bombers our way. Pretty please?

Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.

"One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

Assume nothing, hon. We're talking about the general public here. United States Of The Offended and all that. You know, the place where Christ can't be mentioned in public but two cocksuckers can get married. Leave your common sense at the door, the idiots have assumed command.

spike

Yeah, you sure do seem to be one of the offended. Pissed off about what's going on way up in Chicago and all.

chcr

Too cute for words
:lol:

Seriously though, Christmas is a co-opted pagan holiday. As near as theological scholars can determine, Jesus birth (once again, if in fact it happened) took place around the first of March by the modern calender, just preceding the feast of Herrod. Christmas was invented by Constantine when he made cristianity the official religion of the Roman Empire in the fourth century. He took a feast that most other religions already celebrated in one form or another as the date. Easier that way. "When the legend becomes history, print the legend."

OTOH, if yer gonna call it "Christ's Mass" you'd have to be a moron not to expect it to have christian connotations. :lloyd:

BB

we had this debate last year on another board .. it was about the ACLU ... not to be confused with igloos ..btw

so, having found OUT what they are and do, i jumped on in -well, alright then, i jumped on in before that as it happens, but anyway -

the ACLU guy got a bit steamed at my insistent rousing "Battle of Agincour" oratories trumpeting the defence of me christmas mince pie, (not to be confused with mice pies neither) or me christmas meal with turkey an' all de trimmings etc ...

.... the simple joy in a child's teary eyes at the bright shimmering lights on the christmas tree

... tiny tim ...

etc etc

kept on insisting the ACLU didn't want to 'BAN CHRISTMAS'

well, i wasn't havin' it mates, i call tell ya!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Yeah, you sure do seem to be one of the offended. Pissed off about what's going on way up in Chicago and all.

Time to start calling you Blind-Boy, Spike. Chicago is hardly the beginning or the end. It's just todays news on a growing story.

highwayman

SouthernN'Proud said:
<<<"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis... >>>

Hush now, or they'll officially rename it Festival Of Consumerism.

SSShhhhhh

Don't give them any ideas, they have ears all over you know...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Does this mean you're gonna ground me this weekend too dad? Take tiime to re-read the post to se the point beng made.

Professur

No. Whatever point you were trying to make was wasted when you decended to childish namecalling. If you can't make the point without namecalling, you've no point to make at all.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*adding to my notes*

Asshole
Fuckhead
Stupid
Blind-boy

Yep, the list is complete now.

spike

Gonz, I just reported your post. Smarten up and quit the name calling.

He does that a lot. He's going to have to start giving himself infractions for "Insulted Other Member(s)" like he gave me for responding to someone else's insult.

rrfield

calling people names makes baby jesus cry.

isnt baby jesus what this thread is all about (He is the reason for the season)???

stop making him cry!

spike

Since Jesus wasn't born in December we should just go ahead and rename it "Festival Of Consumerism" like SNP said and quit dragging his name through the mud.