P.O.W. rescued

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Oh yeah, probably not quite Medal of Honor material, but she'll be getting something from the Pres, I'm sure.

unclehobart

Yeah.. unless she did something boldly and with complete disregard for personal safety to save the lives of others, the best she could get is a silver star.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Definitely. To not award her with a nice big televised ceremony would be political murder. Whatever she did, she survived as a P.O.W. under the IRaqi regime. That, in of itself, is worth it.

unclehobart

Are there any female MOH recipients? She may be a larger recruiting poster than first thought. She may get a bump up to legendary status by the political machinery.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Sorry. I'm ecstactic over her rescue, but PLEASE don't tell me you are all for reducing the MOH to someone who survived a wrong turn and got captured. If everyone in Nam that got wounded as bad recieved an MOH, you would be able to buy them at flea markets today. The purple heart is a given. The citations for courage would belong to her rescuers.

PT

Yep, she did good surviving for a week and a half, but she's looking at Purple Heart, maybe something else. As for Female MOH. I doubt it, considering this is the first engagement we even have women close to the front lines. They still aren't technically in combat roles though.

unclehobart

Squiggy said:
Sorry. I'm ecstactic over her rescue, but PLEASE don't tell me you are all for reducing the MOH to someone who survived a wrong turn and got captured. If everyone in Nam that got wounded as bad recieved an MOH, you would be able to buy them at flea markets today. The purple heart is a given. The citations for courage would belong to her rescuers.
Granted.. I'm not for reducing the MOH just to serve as political eye candy. We don't rightly know the details of what she did. This is what I gather from a first impression: Getting wounded is a given. Shooting back at the enemy is a given. But shooting back when you have been hit three times is a cut above... especially for a support unit. She could have ceased a combat role as soon as the first round hit her.. but she didn't. She didn't surrender at all. She had to be leapt upon and stabbed/subdued. her actions should have gotten her killed. It at least worthy of a bronze star.

If you want to read a few MOH stories to see what it takes to earn one: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm

I'll throw out the first volley:

*GORDON, GARY I.
Rank and organization: Master Sergeant, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Lincoln, Maine. Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

Aunty Em

It sounds like she kicked ass and she deserves recognition for that! I wonder how many of those big strong men it took to subdue one young woman...

...maybe we should just have female armies... :D

Squiggy

ThunderDick
unc, Aunty, I'm not against recognizing her courage. I just don't think it rises to Silver Star or MOH status. I would be glad to see her get a Bronze Star for her gutsy performance. What you're missing is that regardless of your military occupation, you are first and foremost, a rifleman.

unclehobart

I didn't miss it. I'm from a military family. I'm quite aware that the lowliest Navy pool typist in Buttcrack, Idaho is first and foremost trained and capable infantry. I'm waiting for the details to flesh out better.

PT

We may have to wait til the other POW's are rescued to really know for sure what happened. From what I understand the Intel we have on the situation came from Iraqi's at this point. We may hear an entirely different story from the others that were captured.

Mirlyn

PuterTutor said:
As for Female MOH. I doubt it, considering this is the first engagement we even have women close to the front lines. They still aren't technically in combat roles though.

One of my friends enlisted four or five years ago and from what she told me, they aren't allowed on the front lines for health reasons. They're mainly used in support ops. I could be wrong though...can anyone confirm/reject that?

PT

They still can't be in true "Combat" roles. They can fly helicopters, including the Apaches, Blackhawks, etc... But mainly they can only serve as support positions, supply clerks, mechanics, that type of thing. They aren't supposed to be in combat.

flavio

Banned
PostCode said:
I'm just dying to hear if they did this before or after the fact and what they did to her after the fact. May sound sick, but this is just more to throw into the face of those fuck nuts at the UN who believe in a "peaceful" resolution.

I'm sure flav would have a hard time believing her story though. :rolleyes:

I happy to see her safe. I'd like all soldiers to be safe. I don't see what it has to do with Peaceful resolution though.

Forget the meds again today?

:drink2:

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
They still can't be in true "Combat" roles. They can fly helicopters, including the Apaches, Blackhawks, etc... But mainly they can only serve as support positions, supply clerks, mechanics, that type of thing. They aren't supposed to be in combat.

That's what fucking "civilisation" does for you... takes one of the best fighting machines on the planet and relegates it to a "support" role... :rolleyes:

I note Isreal doesn't have any such reservations...

Mirlyn

Aunty Em said:
PuterTutor said:

That's what fucking "civilisation" does for you... takes one of the best fighting machines on the planet and relegates it to a "support" role... :rolleyes:

I note Isreal doesn't have any such reservations...

Risk of infection is higher among females on the front lines in true combat. Such infections are deadly.

A.B.Normal

PuterTutor said:

I've seen a few interviews with Jet pilots returning from sorties(dropping bombs) who were women,that sounds like combat.

PT

Flying airplanes, even when dropping bombs is not technically considered combat. I know, it's fucked up, but that's the way the military looks at it. :shrug:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Update from MSNBC: Contrary to initial reports, she did NOT recieve any gunshot or stab wounds...