Peabody's Way Forward Machine (OTC in 2023)

Mirlyn

cable, and dsl are as fast now as many t1 lines in this area were back then, '03.

last I checked years ago, a t1/10Mbt was $1500/mo

T1s are 1.5Mbps. Around here they're about $475/mo now, depending on providers (Tier 1 vs Tier 2 or 3) contract terms and last-mile fees. The upload nearly matches some cable accounts (10/1) and the download barely rivals my cell phone (EVDO rev A), but its the SLA and the ability to route traffic that you really pay for.

We have two DSLs at the office for downloading and a T1 mainly for IPs. Our hosting facility has several T1s bundled and another separate T1 for failover.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping to land in a town that gets picked for Google's gigabit-to-the-premises project. http://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-starts-gigabit-ethernet-in-kansas-city/29002/

But, since that's no go here, I settle for my lowly AT&T DSL at home, and 3G on my iPhone.

They claim the DSL is 6mbit down, I rarely see even as much as 2-3 and it drops a lot. My 3G connection is usually faster and more reliable, but they don't want me using it as a primary internet connection. Because, you know, that would require them to build their network up better. Oh well.

No complaints, really. I'm living in a freaking Star Trek world where information is at my fingertips wherever I'm at, and the computer in my pocket is faster than the computer that sent man to the moon. After 15 years of hacking and tweaking computers to get them to boot Windows 5 seconds faster and run 10 more FPS in Quake, I have grown quite fond of these little things that just let me get on with it without crashing.

I can't imagine what we will have in 12 years, considering the rate at which all of this just happened.

Also, lol @ my first post. I can't believe I'm still playing that stupid game... or that I went and made 2 of my own...that I'm also playing. o_O It seems I will have some sort of presence in them for the foreseeable future, since I can't even get away from them if I tried. :lloyd:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've got a buddy who has a 4G phone. He was in a Los Angeles hotel, gaming with us, with it was his connection. We tested it & was 90% as fast as my 25/25 FiOS.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Hmmmm...almost 8 years in. My dreams and wishes for 2023 (and hopefully well before then) are the exact same. Marriage and babies.

I see I overly emphasized MY house in my first set of posts, at least that part has been accomplished. Now I just need a man to marry and make the babies with and I'm all set. :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
2014: I have 6Mbps DSL

Anyone has speeds near the OC-3 (~150Mbps) or in the OC-768 (~38Gbps) range??

tommyj27

Not really Banned
2014: I have 6Mbps DSL

Anyone has speeds near the OC-3 (~150Mbps) or in the OC-768 (~38Gbps) range??
2.2 Gbps at $work, 25x2Mbps at $home :(.

Colleague of mine has 1Gbps being pulled into his house sometime in the next few weeks.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I love reading to comments about 3G and 4G. LOL. I wish we could tell ourselves from the past, back when this place started, about technology of 2015. It would blow their minds!

Still waiting for the marriage and babies. Onto the second house now.

MrBishop

13 Lucky years later.

Father of 2 kids now - matched set (boy and girl) - switched jobs and careers numerous times. Still not possessing a machine half as fast as I expected, nor internet speeds for that matter.

How is everybody?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Father of 2 as well, boy and girl.
Internet is now sitting at 30Mbps/10Mbps