Pedophilia Panic

Nixy said:
Canada does have a national sex offender registry but it is not accessible by the general public. On that note, I BELIEVE if a sex offender is to move into a neighbourhood residents within a certain radius are informed...I THINK.

I can tell you for a fact, you can walk into the courthouse anywhere in quebec and request the full court documents of any case that's not under court seal. And you can walk into any police station and request the sex offenders list for their coverage area. I happen to know someone who's had reason to do it. The person he was moving against left the area in quite a hurry and now resides down near the US border. I don't need to mention that the document holder took a drive shortly after and did the tour of his new neighbourhood too. Oddly enough, the document holder is a hunter an has several guns, and a heavy hunting bow too, and opted not to use them.

Gato_Solo said:
Although you did quote the disclaimer. Evidently, you don't think that's enough?

Nowhere do I see where it says you have to be American...

Professur said:
I can tell you for a fact, you can walk into the courthouse anywhere in quebec and request the full court documents of any case that's not under court seal. And you can walk into any police station and request the sex offenders list for their coverage area. I happen to know someone who's had reason to do it. The person he was moving against left the area in quite a hurry and now resides down near the US border. I don't need to mention that the document holder took a drive shortly after and did the tour of his new neighbourhood too. Oddly enough, the document holder is a hunter an has several guns, and a heavy hunting bow too, and opted not to use them.

I figured you could but didn't wanna use any definates since I hadn't looked it up.

Nixy said:
I figured you could but didn't wanna use any definates since I hadn't looked it up.

The "target" was a former leader in Scouts. I won't say he didn't fear for his life on his way south.

Professur said:
The "target" was a former leader in Scouts. I won't say he didn't fear for his life on his way south.
Ah brings back memories of when more people had ethics here that would make these people fear more.

Gotta tell you, as someone with a child, I WANNA know where the fuckers are, and particularly if one just moved in down the street. Those databases, and their public availability, deter crimes against kids by keeping parents aware. Period.

As to the folks who killed this offender, prosecute them. Vigorously. However, in the worse of two evils category, I'm far more comfortable with the registry being occasionally misused used to target convicted sex offenders for retribution than I am with their lack of availability giving opportunity for more innocent children to be molested and killed. Don't like my sense of priorities? Too fucking bad.

MrBishop said:
Light on the details...pictures and everything!

if an offender is no longer on probation/parole, we don't do the updates. local law enforcement does, when the offender comes in to update. hence, if said offender chooses not to register, there ain't likely to be a picture.

maintaining a current registry is the responsibility of the offender, and failing to do so is a new felony offense. now since we're already dealing with convicted criminals, anybody wanna lay odds on current data for those not on probation/parole?

what additional details would you like? yer already saying they shouldn't even be public, now you want more info?

Even found a few of those rare Statutory Rape felons..7 in your town alone.

never claimed statutory rape was rare. what i claimed was that most of the time it should be a property crime because that's how the girl's parents react...like something was stolen.

I think he was talking to me about Dad having little Bobby arrested for busting his daughter Marcia's cherry and getting caught...even though they are both minors...;)

On California's site, the offender window that pops up has a few different tabs, one with the last known address, one wiht identifying marks, one with the offenses, etc.

SouthernN'Proud said:
what additional details would you like? yer already saying they shouldn't even be public, now you want more info?
I'm NOT saying they shouldn't be public. OK...lemme re-read my own suitff a sec .... tick tock ...
me said:
The thread would've worked if buddy had killed two men he thought were paedophiles.

A better title would be:
Sex-offender registry opens door to vigilatism. Double murder!
I was commenting on the thread title...it was misleading.

I'd prefer it if I had a web-site that I could get for Montreal and my area. I WANT one, in fact. I have issues with the offenders being hunted down and killed by vigilantes, mostly because that's got its own slippery slope.

SouthernN'Proud said:
never claimed statutory rape was rare. what i claimed was that most of the time it should be a property crime because that's how the girl's parents react...like something was stolen.
Nope...that was Prof.

SouthernN'Proud said:
what additional details would you like?
If you compare what I was seeing on your link with what Inky's site gives, you'd see what I mean about details.

F'r instance...Mr. Caine
CAINE, STEVEN J.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]15 OLIVET HAVEN[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]GREENEVILLE, TN 37743[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]County Residence-GREENE[/font]
Offense(s)
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]08/19/2001 SEXUAL BATTERY[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]08/19/2001 SEXUAL BATTERY[/font]
Last Date Information Updated-[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]12/05/2005[/font]
Last Date Registration/Report-[font=verdana, arial, helvetica] 12/05/2005 [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]TID-00364288[/font]
Is sexual battery, rape? Sex with someone under the influence? Sex which leaves bruises?

Professur said:
"never claimed statutory rape was rare"

Prif said:
Um, doesn't happen. Legally, if the consenting children are within 2 years of age of each other, it's filed as sex-play. Only if one of the participants is substantially older than the other, or has reached majority do the statutory rape charges get filed. There may be instances where that's not the case, but in all cases I've followed, that's been the case.

MrBishop said:
If you compare what I was seeing on your link with what Inky's site gives, you'd see what I mean about details.

F'r instance...Mr. Caine

Is sexual battery, rape? Sex with someone under the influence? Sex which leaves bruises?

Sexual Battery - Forced oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by any object, except when these acts are performed for bona fide medical purposes.

Source...

MrBishop said:
"never claimed statutory rape was rare"

Rape in the adult sense involving one non-consenting participant. Statutory rape involved one participant below the age of consent. That hardly equates it with property theft.

This one's interesting..wonder when they'll reword it

RAPE
Class B Felony -- Knowingly or intentionally having sexual intercourse with a member of the opposite sex when: 1) the other person is compelled by force or the imminent threat of force; 2) the other person is unaware that sexual intercourse is occurring; 3) the other person is so mentally disabled or deficient that consent to intercourse cannot be given.

So if Big Bubba Brown bullies and boffs Billy Bobkins behind...it ain't rape.

Professur said:
Rape in the adult sense involving one non-consenting participant. Statutory rape involved one participant below the age of consent. That hardly equates it with property theft.
You said that it'd be rare that a statutory rape offender would find himself/herself on a sex-offender's list.

As for property theft...I agree. T'aint property theft...but it's hardly the equivalent of rape either.

Back