powell endorses obama

Professur

No, trying to point out that Carnivore was a 'cop' run program designed to track criminal activity. As far as that went, if you trusted the cops, it was used to enforce the law. This takes that and makes it political. The people monitoring it as CTO are 'official' gov't instead of shadow op types.

spike

The way I see it you've made some odd assumptions about this CTO position that are not supported by your article and then treated these unfounded assumptions as a reason to vote a certain way.

There's really nothing in your story that indicates that it would be the CTO's job to monitor people or rewrite history. Perhaps it will be the CTO's job to help make the government more efficient through better use of technology. Or maybe he'll be there to update the staff's MySpace pages.

Professur

The way I see it you've made some odd assumptions about this CTO position that are not supported by your article and then treated these unfounded assumptions as a reason to vote a certain way.

There's really nothing in your story that indicates that it would be the CTO's job to monitor people or rewrite history. Perhaps it will be the CTO's job to help make the government more efficient through better use of technology. Or maybe he'll be there to update the staff's MySpace pages.

This is entirely possible. I prefer to err on the side of paranoia where politicians are concerned. At the very least, Gov't grows by one more dep'té

Professur

EU to stick age ratings on the Internet

Like on computer games

By Mark Ballard: Wednesday, 22 October 2008, 3:18 PM

EUROPE will introduce "child safe labels" for websites as part of a €55 million programme to protect kids online.

The EU's Safer Internet programme, given the green light by the European Parliament yesterday, will also establish national centres for reporting illegal content, fund public awareness campaigns, and co-ordinate academic research.

The age-rating system, which will operate like the voluntary system of computer games classification called PEGI, was stuck on the end of proposals by the European Parliament yesterday.

Vim Bekker, director of Nicam, the Dutch organisation that runs PEGI, said that another international effort to stick age ratings on websites ten years ago, called the Internet Content Rating Association (ICRA), had proved how problematic it was.

"It's difficult to have enough websites classified," he said. "I was told by experts that the total internet community was over 40 billion pages. New pages are created on a daily basis and they are changing all the time."

However, he said: "I wouldn't be surprised if most internet users were using just a few handfuls of sites. No-one is using the whole internet."

David Miles, UK representative of the Family Online Safety Institute, which runs ICRA, said: "It's interesting [Europe] should feel that's a requirement because there are already systems out there."

Websites that sign up to ICRA's programme classify content that is intended for over-18s. Parent's can download software that controls access to ICRA-rated pages. The World Wide Web Consortium is also building a system called Powder, with ICRA's help, that automatically detects whether a page contains adult content.and who defines what 'content' needs monitoring? -Prof

ICRA-rated websites classify their content according to a range of descriptors. Nudity, for example, can be classified as "Exposed breasts", "Bare buttocks", "Visible genitals", or "None of the above". It similarly classifies sexual material, violence, language and "potentially harmful activities" like smoking and drug use. All can be classified in the context of, say, news or medical information.

The Safer Internet proposal adopted by the European Parliament yesterday did not set out in detail how its internet rating system would work.

It said: "Efforts should be made to protect children through the development of, for example, effective age verification systems and voluntary certification labels."

A spokesman for the Parliament said the European Commission would likely put the idea out to tender and have a third party contractor start work on it next year. µ

Source

Professur

Some breast cancer sites show "exposed breasts". I wonder if they will be locked out under this program. They are under other context sensitive programs like Net Nanny, et al.

Name me one 50 year old who didn`t get caught spanking the monkey to either the Sears catalog or National Geographic when they were twelve, and I`ll show you .... Well, good luck.

Professur

Yeah, but spanking to breast cancer sites is a little twisted don't ya think?

At 12 years old ...... I knew a guy (not me) who spanked with luncheon meat wrapped about his peter at that age .... at school, in the toilet ... with the meat from his sandwich.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Name me one 50 year old who didn`t get caught spanking the monkey to either the Sears catalog or National Geographic when they were twelve, and I`ll show you .... Well, good luck.

I NEVER got caught!

good old national geographic, if it had a picture of the savannah on the cover you knew you where in for a good time.

Professur

And how old are you again? You really need to scrape at least the first layer of gunk off your screen, dude.

chcr

Too cute for words
I resent the implication that everyone was dumb enough to get caught. :faptard: