Smoking???

IDLEchild

What are your thoughts on it? Do you smoke? Did you smoke? Did you ever quit or try to? Your thoughts on the people who file law suits against major tobacco producers and blame them for lung cancer? Anyone in family who smokes? Any deaths related to you from smoking?

tonksy

i have smoked off and on since i was 14 years old. i am 29 now.my view on it? it's a very dirty but very satisfying habit. i love cigarettes. right now i am not smoking and i've lost count how long it's been since i had a cig. i'm sure i'll smoke again, although i do hope not.
IMHO the jackasses that sue because smoking made them sick make me sick. as i child i knew that smoking was bad for you for chrissakes, i mean own up to your own mistakes. my husband smokes. he smokes alot. he is now only smoking these nasty little cigar deals that stinks up the fucking bathroom and makes my towel smell bad. totally harshes my mellow when i get out of a nice warm bath to a stinky towel. i wish he would quit and he harps on and on about how this is the last pack and he isn't gonna buy anymore and day in and day out it's the same thing. he doesn't want to quit and the only one he is fooling is himself.
i hope my children never smoke and i plan to talk to them about how nasty cigs are, in fact we already do. here's hoping.

CydCharisse

I've never smoked ever and don't plan or want to. I can't stand the smell of it. The smoke makes me sick to my stomach. Both my parents used to smoke a pack a day each. In my teens, I managed to get them to quit. They've never been happier. They are so glad I talked them into quitting.

I don't mind people who smoke, as long as they don't do it around me. Sure, we can hang out and go party whatever, but if you get a craving, you best step outside and take your smoke break. :)

AnomalousEntity

So this guy says to me "mind if I spoke"

I go: "no not at all do you mind if I fart? Nasty habit I know. I tried to quit for a while but I gained weight. You know I get so tired of people saying ""oh I cant stand to smell second hand fart"". I mean if you dont like it...go the fuck some where else right? Man, Ill tell you what... Farting is so satisfying. Some days after a long bad day at work...I just feel like Im going to explode if I cant just get out and have a great big fart. Its like....ahhhhhwwww... great fart. You know? Im going to quit one of these days. I read some where that the average farter would be a millionair if he could just save the money he spends on laundry detergent and new underware. I dont know if thats true or not..I mean, If I wasnt spending the money to get rid of skid marks...Id just spend it on somthing else..."

Oz

AnomalousEntity said:
So this guy says to me "mind if I spoke"

I go: "no not at all do you mind if I fart? Nasty habit I know. I tried to quit for a while but I gained weight. You know I get so tired of people saying ""oh I cant stand to smell second hand fart"". I mean if you dont like it...go the fuck some where else right? Man, Ill tell you what... Farting is so satisfying. Some days after a long bad day at work...I just feel like Im going to explode if I cant just get out and have a great big fart. Its like....ahhhhhwwww... great fart. You know? Im going to quit one of these days. I read some where that the average farter would be a million air if he could just save the money he spends on laundry detergent and new underware. I dont know if thats true or not..I mean, If I wasnt spending the money to get rid of skid marks...Id just spend it on somthing else..."

And if he had said no.......methane is counterproductive to the environment.......please fart only in a designated area?

PrincessLissa

I smoke when I go out to the clubs a lot and sometimes when I drive. It is a gross habit but right now I have other things to worry about before I try quitting again. Everytime I quit I just do it cold turkey and it lasts for a while.

markjs

Banned
I used to smoke and I am now the worst of the worst...The vehemently anti smoking poster child. It's an evil habit and oh so hard to quit...I am against it 100% should be outlawed in all public places....IT should be outlawed in any home that has minor children, and it should be a felony for a pregnant woman to smoke. Smoking must be stopped at all costs, but I do not think the state should be able to ban it completely on private property so long as its only among consenting and hopefully fully educated as to the dangers, adults.

Dave

used to smoke. quit 10 years ago. like markjs, i'm one of those obnoxious former smokers.
had 2 relatives die from emphysema and 1 from lung cancer.
i dont blame the fools who sue the tobacco companies. i blame the lawyers for that. these people probably dont have all that much common sense to begin with and couldn't possible have come up with that on their own. (then again, i blame lawyers for just about everything....)

listening to Steve Martin tonight? ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
markjs said:
I used to smoke and I am now the worst of the worst...The vehemently anti smoking poster child. It's an evil habit and oh so hard to quit...I am against it 100% should be outlawed in all public places....IT should be outlawed in any home that has minor children, and it should be a felony for a pregnant woman to smoke. Smoking must be stopped at all costs, but I do not think the state should be able to ban it completely on private property so long as its only among consenting and hopefully fully educated as to the dangers, adults.

Where to start???

Evil?? C'mon. It doesn't murder. It doesn't fly planes into buildings. It doesn't bake Jews. It isn't the devil incarnate. Nasty, smelly, filthy...maybe. Not evil.

Outlawed in public places? It is, mostly. And why? I don't like your choice of after shave. It makes me wanna vomit green Exorcist" stuff. So what, I can walk away from you. You, by the same token can walk away also. People should not be subjected to things they don't like. That fairly well means don't leave your house.

Outlawed in homes? Sorry bud, you can take my cigarettes if you can get past my .44. Minors have been subjected to this, and far far worse & never had a scar. Stay out of my house & stay away from my kids. It's none of your business. Don't like it? Don't do it.

My opinion on smoking: It sucks. It smells. It's expensive. It's stupid. and most of all IT'S LEGAL.

markjs

Banned
Gonz said:
Where to start???

Evil?? C'mon. It doesn't murder. It doesn't fly planes into buildings. It doesn't bake Jews. It isn't the devil incarnate. Nasty, smelly, filthy...maybe. Not evil.

Outlawed in public places? It is, mostly. And why? I don't like your choice of after shave. It makes me wanna vomit green Exorcist" stuff. So what, I can walk away from you. You, by the same token can walk away also. People should not be subjected to things they don't like. That fairly well means don't leave your house.

Outlawed in homes? Sorry bud, you can take my cigarettes if you can get past my .44. Minors have been subjected to this, and far far worse & never had a scar. Stay out of my house & stay away from my kids. It's none of your business. Don't like it? Don't do it.

My opinion on smoking: It sucks. It smells. It's expensive. It's stupid. and most of all IT'S LEGAL.

Clearly children and nonsmokers in public are being subjected to a deadly poison...My aftershave may be offensive but it isn't deadly. Children who have smoking parents are (and I don't know the exact number but....) MANY times more likely to become smokers...its a deadly poison and should be treated as such....Look how asbestos was treated...it amounts to the same exact thing.

I never said it should be outlawed, but nobody should be subjected to it against their will, and minor children do not have any legal "will" and therefore should be protected.

By the same token I believe most forms of Narcotics should be legal for consenting adults, but when it effects children who have no control or rights the law must draw a line.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh Mark, you've beenduped. There are more "poisons" coming out of your exhaust pipe than smoking produces. Your kitchen cleaner has more chemicals, in a far more lethal dose, than 10000 cases (not cartons) of smokes.

I'm still waiting for someone to show proof that cigarettes cause cancer. You can't. It doesn't exist.

markjs

Banned
Gonz said:
Oh Mark, you've beenduped. There are more "poisons" coming out of your exhaust pipe than smoking produces. Your kitchen cleaner has more chemicals, in a far more lethal dose, than 10000 cases (not cartons) of smokes.

I'm still waiting for someone to show proof that cigarettes cause cancer. You can't. It doesn't exist.

No I am well aware about my automobile and you are going to like me less when I say with no reservations if I was elected dictator All vehicles would have 5 years to be converted to clean burning propane or alcohol. As for the chemicals in cleaners there are precautions like rubber gloves and such.....

Anyway I know of two people who died from second hand smoke, and it has been proven to cause any number of maladys including cancer...proved to my satisfaction anyway

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
"clean burning propane or alcohol" still produces toxins. multiply those toxeins by the several million cars & not much cahnges. you want clean burning? try hydrogen. but first, fix the part about a large explosion during an accident.

Nobody has ever died from second hand smoke. It's a myth. The only thing it's proven to cause is shortness of breath & that can be remedied by exercise.

Sharky

My father smoked for 50 years, then the doc told him that he was showing the early signs of emphysema, and described to him what happens to a victim of emphysema (basically they suffocate to death very slowly). He quit that day and never lit another. In a couple of years the symptoms went away. He died last April at age 82 from Alzheimer's disease.

I smoked for two years in high school, then quit and have never smoked (tobacco) since. I can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke indoors, but oddly enough, it smells good to me outdoors.

markjs

Banned
Gonz said:
"clean burning propane or alcohol" still produces toxins. multiply those toxeins by the several million cars & not much cahnges. you want clean burning? try hydrogen. but first, fix the part about a large explosion during an accident.

Nobody has ever died from second hand smoke. It's a myth. The only thing it's proven to cause is shortness of breath & that can be remedied by exercise.

Propane and Alcohol burn down to carbon and water...completely inert...so check the science before you shoot off with this stuff....

What kind of dreamworld do you live in? Niccotine is point blank a deadly poison....if you ate a few packs of smokes you would keel over and die....quickly....

It is you who is duped by the Tobbacco industries lies....

Why I should bother explaining simple facts to a jack booted goose stepping neo conservative neandrathal like you is beyond me....But for some reason it's fun even in it's futility

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
you may find this interesting

Trying to Establish Cause
A statistical correlation between two phenomena is simply that. It does not prove that one phenomenon caused the other. Just because A is often associated with B, does not prove that A causes B. Example: the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver is associated with cigarette smoking. Does smoking cause cirrhosis? Probably not. Excessive consumption of alcohol is a more likely cause. However, as heavy drinkers tend to be heavy smokers, the statistical association is there, but in this case is probably a confounding variable.

So how strong is the case against cigarettes?
Defenders of the tobacco industry frequently claim that no one has proved that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer. In one sense they are right. Proof from epidemiology differs from proof in a laboratory experiment. What we have seen here is that the more closely we can meet the several criteria linking A and B, the more confident we can be that A causes B.

Few epidemiological studies have met these criteria better than those studying the statistical relationship between smoking and health. Smoking is probably the greatest single cause of preventable illness in the United States.

a jack booted goose stepping neo conservative neandrathal like you

:banana:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
make me work for it, jeeeeeez

look up acetaldehyde and formaldehyde, both of which are produced by alcohol fuels at levels much higher than from hydrocarbons.

Another problem the widespread introduction of alcohol fuels would be the increase in global carbonyl pollution of the atmosphere, with unknown consequences.

I'm too lazy to start on propane

markjs

Banned
Acetaldehyde is what makes you drunk when you drink...the Brain has a barrier called the blood brain barrier that keeps alcohol out. The Liver metabolizes it into acetaldahyde which is what actually makes you drunk

Good reasearch has proven that alcohol burns mostly to carbon and water. The entire nation of Brazil utilizes alcohol fueled automobiles and air pollution is greatly improved since they made that conversion.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
markjs said:
Acetaldehyde is what makes you drunk...The entire nation of Brazil utilizes alcohol fueled automobiles

That explains a whole lot of things. Anybody up for a party?