The internet - the worlds greatest equalizer!

Yes...I know of at least one blind person who is online. The 'reader' for the internet makes interesting sounds while reading ROFL or BRB, but otherwise, it's great!

Voice recognition software for parapelegics etc... Good point Rose :) Kudos!!!

Rofful? Burb? Natural language stuff is just to damned complex. Plus you need hands to set it up.

MrBishop said:
Yes...I know of at least one blind person who is online. The 'reader' for the internet makes interesting sounds while reading ROFL or BRB, but otherwise, it's great!

Voice recognition software for parapelegics etc... Good point Rose :) Kudos!!!

:D I had a couple Deaf friends. One of which explained the benefits of the internet as Deaf people - it's much easier for (collectively) them to communicate. I can imagine online ordering would be a life saver instead of having to deal with trying to 'talk' to a cashier.

I've pretended to be Deaf in public before - usually for a class (Sign Language I & II was big on this) and sometimes just to ignore people. But anyway .. it was a pain to try to communicate using only facial expressions and hand gestures.

I find hand gestures just fine...you know one finger, two finger and the good old wanker sign :lol:

I did ASL for a while...came in handy for my work with ADD kids, and Psychosocially-maladjusted youths. Don't ask.

The deaf people that I know love the internet for places exactly like OTC. They can 'keep up a conversation' without anyone knowing.

MrBishop said:
I did ASL for a while...came in handy for my work with ADD kids, and Psychosocially-maladjusted youths. Don't ask.

The deaf people that I know love the internet for places exactly like OTC. They can 'keep up a conversation' without anyone knowing.

Exactly. :D I don't know much ASL as much as I do English. *sigh* But with any luck I'll take another class this next year.

I guess you've heard of the little girl that's a baseball fan but she's paraplegic? I don't have a link, but I imagine it'd not be hard to find. Anyway, she uses the internet and types by holding a stick (wand) in her mouth. She designed a fansite for this one baseball player. I believe she even got to meet him. :D But, yeah, internet equalizer.

MrBishop said:
5'5" ?!? I was sure that you were shorter....I guess that you look shorter in heels. :)

**Tries vainly to avoid the shots from the supersoaker...but get's all wet anyway**

Imagine that...me getting all wet in Camelyn's room :p What a role-reversal :)

**Manages to dodge most of the nerf-balls**
**reaches into Camelyn's magic closet and pulls out....(Drum-roll, please)... a water hose and an XL box of profalactics. Starts filling them up and tossing them at Steweygrrr and Rose**

You know, I think I'm just going to cut to the chase and simply kill him. Painfully...with blunt, bludgeoning-type objects.

I might just be PMS'ing though...

:)

MrBishop said:
**Ducking backwards "Animatrix style", MrBishop grabs at a King-Dong (tm) on the floor and swings wildly at Steweygrrrrr's head**

"Take this...you non-conformist mendicant!!"

MENDICANT!!! Uh-oh. Now my Av is upset...and you know what happens when Groo gets upset...

steweygrrrr said:
huhwhat??? *flees Camlyns wrath*

Naw, not you. The Bishmeister. He is the object of my wrath. Yeth, he thall feel the hand of vengenth falleth upon him....eth. That, or I'll just falleth upon him myself. :)

You'd need to be at a higher...ahem.... altitude to fall ON hime. You mean fall INTO him perchance?

steweygrrrr said:
You'd need to be at a higher...ahem.... altitude to fall ON hime. You mean fall INTO him perchance?

Well, logistically speaking, considering who has the "tab A" and who has the "slot B", I'm thinking that might be difficult :)

steweygrrrr said:

Fall INTO me? Damn! That'd take a job and a half to do! Talk about a role reversal there Steweygrrr :)

**deBish runs screaming from the room, but not before saying...*:bolt:

"Cam...take that out of your mouth...it's giving you a lisp...and you'll chip your teeth again":wave2:

Camelyn said:
Well, logistically speaking, considering who has the "tab A" and who has the "slot B", I'm thinking that might be difficult :)
Dont tell me you havent considered it Camlyn.... :elaugh4:

Rose said:
Exactly. :D I don't know much ASL as much as I do English. *sigh* But with any luck I'll take another class this next year.

Really...what do you use ASL for, Rose? Work with the deaf or have family members/friends etc, who are deaf or HH. Don't know about where you are, but the ASL classes are expensive here, and I don't get the chance to use it often. I tend to lose it, much like I did my spanish. :(

Getting back to the topic at hand. I understand that one of the hospitals in Montreal provides internet access to it's recovering patients. They have the chance to check e-mail and tell their online buds that they're OK etc...

Now that's a service that I would be glad that I had.

**See newest thread in Lunatic Lounge for yet another thoughtful thread from deBish**

Back