Then and now, 1963-2006

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of
July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed .

1963 Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with
domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home,
computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never
allowed to fly again.

In 2005 I blew up all sorts of crap with M-300's. None of the above happened.

Nice. Thats two out of how many? Nice to see you're still trying, though. Also notice the words by unc..."The scenarios, albiet simplified, are still quite true." Notice the word 'simplified'. Also take note of how many teachers lately who have been accused of impropriety.

I think I've covered most of them now. The scenarios aren't just simplified, they are greatly exaggerated and sensationalized.

I take note of teachers accused of impropriety for sexual conduct. I'd be interested to see a few examples of getting on the sexual predator list for a hug.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives
him a whipping.

1963 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to
foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist
that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison.
Billy's mom has an affair with psychologist.

Parents still give spankings without being arrested. Although better parenting methods have been discovered since then.

Oddly enough prescribing Ritalin to treat children with ADHD started in the 60's. I don't know what the current trends are though with that treatment.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of
July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed .

1963 Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with
domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home,
computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never
allowed to fly again.

In 2005 I blew up all sorts of crap with M-300's. None of the above happened.

Why does it take you two posts to cover your disagreement with an opinion?

Anyway...I guess you haven't been paying attention to the news over the past few years. I've seen stories where students get arrested for carrying 'explosives'...and firecrackers are explosives...for quite a few years now...all after Columbine.

spike said:
I think I've covered most of them now. The scenarios aren't just simplified, they are greatly exaggerated and sensationalized.

I take note of teachers accused of impropriety for sexual conduct. I'd be interested to see a few examples of getting on the sexual predator list for a hug.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives
him a whipping.

1963 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to
foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist
that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison.
Billy's mom has an affair with psychologist.

Parents still give spankings without being arrested. Although better parenting methods have been discovered since then.

And I've seen where parents get arrested for spanking their children. Call it sensationalized if you like, but your argument is being found wanting.

Why does it take you two posts to cover your disagreement with an opinion?

I covered 3 in one post. Is that really something to complain about?

Anyway...I guess you haven't been paying attention to the news over the past few years. I've seen stories where students get arrested for carrying 'explosives'...and firecrackers are explosives...for quite a few years now...all after Columbine.

Students? The scenario didn't say he was in school, just blowing up an anthill. Not illegal. Unless fireworks are illegal in your state.

And I've seen where parents get arrested for spanking their children. Call it sensationalized if you like, but your argument is being found wanting.

As far as I know spanking children is not illegal. Beating them is. If you can find laws to the contrary I'd be interested.

I covered 3 in one post. Is that really something to complain about?

Just wondering...

spike said:
Students? The scenario didn't say he was in school, just blowing up an anthill. Not illegal. Unless fireworks are illegal in your state.

Most states that allow fireworks have a rule about children under sixteen having/using them. Also...the scenerio says nothing about standard fireworks. Methinks you should read it again. ;)

spike said:
As far as I know spanking children is not illegal. Beating them is. If you can find laws to the contrary I'd be interested.

Like this one? This one is kind of fuzzy as well...but this one works out rather in the favor of the original post. According to that source, it's not illegal, but you can see the results for yourself. Bottom line is...what is the line between spanking and abuse?

Most states that allow fireworks have a rule about children under sixteen having/using them. Also...the scenerio says nothing about standard fireworks. Methinks you should read it again. ;)

It doesn't say Johny is under 16 or a student. Maybe you should read it again. ;) Taking leftover gunpowder from unexploded fireworks to make another firework is pretty common.

I'd love to see an example of "BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again".

Hopefully not even the stupid patriot act could allow the authorities to do that. But if we don't get the republicans under control that's where it's headed.

Like this one? This one is kind of fuzzy as well...but this one works out rather in the favor of the original post. According to that source, it's not illegal, but you can see the results for yourself. Bottom line is...what is the line between spanking and abuse?

Well there you go, all links confirm spanking is not illegal. If you don't know the difference between spanking and abuse don't hit your kid. Luckily there are better parenting methods. Isolated cases of parents going too far are going to do nothing to disprove that spanking is not illegal for the most part and widely practiced in 2006.

Here's one.

Saturday morning - kid leaves home on bike, comes back around lunch goes away again, comes back around supper, plays after supper until sundown. parent don't need to know where the kid is, who s/he is with and what they did. Everything's fine.

Saturday morning - kid is downstairs playing his PS3 until lunch. If s/he does go out...s/he better have their cel phone on'em. Parents call often because they're worried about predators and s/he can't leave their sight. If they can't find their kid, parents call the cops.

Friggin' paranoia..that's the big difference between 1963 and 2006.

seriously, this is exaggerated BS, it only serves to get a rise out of people who clamor for the "good ol' days" when everything was better than it is today.

seriously, this is exaggerated BS, it only serves to get a rise out of people who clamor for the "good ol' days" when everything was better than it is today.

I was there in 1963. I especially liked "Here, hide your head under this wooden desk in case of a nuclear attack." I never did figure out how that wood was supposed to protect me from a 5000 degree shock wave. Yup, them's the good old days alright.

Back