Then and now, 1963-2006

I was there in 1963. I especially liked "Here, hide your head under this wooden desk in case of a nuclear attack." I never did figure out how that wood was supposed to protect me from a 5000 degree shock wave. Yup, them's the good old days alright.

That 5000 degree shock wave was at ground zero. Most deaths from nukes come from fallout, or falling debris...which is where the wooden desks come into play...they would protect your noggin from falling debris. ;)

seriously, this is exaggerated BS, it only serves to get a rise out of people who clamor for the "good ol' days" when everything was better than it is today.

Some things were better...the most important being a feeling of personal responsibility. We've done our best to make things safe, but we haven't done anything to encourage people to be safe. We've enacted laws that make no sense because we have people that make no sense. We've put warning lables on everything because people have chosen to become the lowest common denominator, instead of teaching people and encouraging them to meet a certain standard. The whole society has become either buy your way out, or cheat your way out, and the 'honest' people get screwed by both sides...

We've put warning lables on everything because people have chosen to become the lowest common denominator

I don't think so..I think the whole 'warning labels' thing comes more out of individual's suing the hell out of any company successfully and the judges allowing them to do so.

The warning label is the only way that companies have to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits.

TORT REFORM!!!

...which is where the wooden desks come into play...they would protect your noggin from falling debris. ;)

Yeah...who needs a headache when you're glowing in the dark? It's distracting you from all the pretty shades of neon!! ;)

Some things were better...the most important being a feeling of personal responsibility. We've done our best to make things safe, but we haven't done anything to encourage people to be safe. We've enacted laws that make no sense because we have people that make no sense. We've put warning lables on everything because people have chosen to become the lowest common denominator, instead of teaching people and encouraging them to meet a certain standard. The whole society has become either buy your way out, or cheat your way out, and the 'honest' people get screwed by both sides...

I don't disagree really, but posts like the original are meant to incite imaginary "anger" and really serves no other purpose. An identical article could be written, with 2006 being better than 1963.

2006 - Your mentally challenged brother works at the movie theater taking tickets. His general enthusiasm is welcomed by movie-goers and he learns a bit of responsibility.

1963 - Your retarded brother is shipped away to make wallets, never to be seen again.

Back