tipping...no not cows.

tonksy

so...interesting question to ponder:

today at work a shitload of teenagers came in...so many that they had to be divvied up over 2 booths in two seperate sections, one was mine and the other a cool older lady's named belinda (both of us are strong, consistant waitresses). they all order waffles (some 2) and some sprung for soda. so the bill per person averages between $2.32 to $4. 62. from the 5 teenagers in my section i received a $2.00 tip. belinda had about 6 and got stiffed. aparently this is common activity from this group of teenagers (a a snotty rich kid church youth group no less!) so belinda says to one of the girls "you know your friends could tip" and the chick goes out and comes back with $5 for belinda.
so what i was wondering is...do you think that they knew and were slighting her originally or do you think they honestly forgot (or didn't know) that you should tip? when did you understand about tipping?
or this:
there is a boy (11-12) that comes in and has sat at my counter the last 2 days...first day he says "i want the allstar breakfast and a sweet tea, please...but i only have $10." i say "no problem it's $4.99 and the tea is $1.05...it'll be $6.34"....so after he eats he pays and gets $3.66 in change he leaves and doesn't tip. i really didn't expect him to for some reason. today he comes back and says "i want a waffle and a tea...can i get that with $3?"...so not really but i figured it up as a kids waffle (he was too old) which is $1.70 and the tea at $1.05 for a total of $2.88 :shrug:
i'm thinking it was the same $3 i gave him in change from this morning...so again no tip...which is really not a big deal he is a easy customer to wait on.
but do you think he knew about tipping? or was he being tight with his little money?

I think the rich kids forgot about the tip, but they gave it just to shut her up.

unless the waiter/waitress really pissed me off (which happened only once in my life), tipping is natural for me.

A waitress should never ask for a tip! With kids who knows? But if service is decent you should always tip no less than 15% more if service is good, in my opinion.

My girlfriend is a waitress and she says kids just don't tip in general.

markjs said:
A waitress should never ask for a tip! With kids who knows? But if service is decent you should always tip no less than 15% more if service is good, in my opinion.

My girlfriend is a waitress and she says kids just don't tip in general.
i really don't think that belinda was looking for a tip as much as letting them know that tipping is something that you do when you eat out....that being said i don't know if i would have done the same.

I don't tip. No bugger ever gave me a tip for working in construction, in an office or serving a customer........so I like to reciprocate that :)

If someone actually asked for a tip.......I'd prolly give them the address of the local college or summit :D

As for kids and tipping......hmm, who knows, mebbe if they give their moms a coupla dollars for serving dinner or summit they might get into the habit.

Oz, waitresses and other jobs where tips are customary can get paid a lower wage than jobs (like mine) that don't get gratuity. Tips are to be reported as part of their income, I believe.

once upon a time many moons ago, me and a group of friends forgot to tip the waitress.
we were so engaged in our conversation that we completely forgot the tip. as we were leaving, the waitress that we inadvertently stiffed had a detail cop stop us in the parking lot. she claimed we didnt pay the bill. after the girl on the register said we did pay, they let us go on our way. it wasnt till about 10 minutes later we realized we forgot to tip her. we were pretty certain that was why she had the cop stop us. we didnt go back.

Stop Laughing said:
Oz, waitresses and other jobs where tips are customary can get paid a lower wage than jobs (like mine) that don't get gratuity. Tips are to be reported as part of their income, I believe.

Good for them, customary don't mean compulsory. Their decision to take the job, my decision to tip :)

Same as my business, I can't force folks to buy stuff, I can only treat them well and hope they do.

It's hard to believe that teenagers wouldn't know they should tip, but it's not a stretch to assume that they may not have a clue how much to tip (or how to do the math). A large group of adults has no excuse for not tipping if the service is acceptable.

Like anybody else who has ever worked in food service, I tend to be overly generous. :eyemouth:

To Insure Proper Service

Sorry to sound like Inky here, but 'to ensure proper service' makes more sense grammatically, but doesn't fit the letters...

I tend to round up to the nearest dollar, never leave change on the table, and toss in an extra buck or two if it was either really good or a holiday or something. I don't remember ever having bad service, but I've had some bad food, and seen messed up orders made (I still laugh about the time at Denny's when this guy ordered a chicken sandwich and to hold the tomato and all he got were two slices of bread and a slice of tomato. :D that was the cook's fault, not the server).

I usually tip 10-15% at a sit-down restaurant, whichever is easier to figure out in my head. I'm not about to whip out a calculator to figure the proper gratuity. Pizza deliveries, I ALWAYS tip at least $5 (which is most of the time 30-40% of the cost of the pizza). I've driven the roads that my local pizza delivery joint takes, and they're not about to walk away empty-handed for having the balls to take them on. Especially in bad weather. :eek5:

i tip 15% at a sit-down joint unless the service was terrible/amazing. Especially the places I frequent.

Now to throw another variable in. I usually do tuesday nights at BW3 (buffalo wild wings) where you order at the counter, your order is brought out to you, and there is a seperate wait staff for anything else, not to mention the bartender. Who all gets tipped in that mess? Usually I tip the bartender, but no one else, unless we leave our table a particular mess or some other circumstance.

<postwhore>

and for that matter, what other service persons do you tip, barber, cabbie, flower delivery?

<nudge> you really should tip us flower guys, even if it's just a dollar, we don't expect it and it brightens our day. </nudge></postwhore>

i usually receive good tips...average ticket is $4-6. i average about $1.50-2.00 for those...about $4-5 for larger tickets...but i have tons of regulars :shrug:
i am a decent tipper at restaurants, being a waitress....but i am the first to be critical of a bad server.

tommyj27 said:
<postwhore>

and for that matter, what other service persons do you tip, barber, cabbie, flower delivery?

<nudge> you really should tip us flower guys, even if it's just a dollar, we don't expect it and it brightens our day. </nudge></postwhore>
hairstylists, tattoo artists, cabbies...the only times i have received flowers it was unexpected or i was in the hospital and without cash...i always felt bad about it though.

Back