Water, water, everywhere...

Being that most of my problems usually involve other people, my personal idea of a good place to live is away from the dense populations of the metrosexual men/wimmin/trans

Atlanta wouldn't be having this problem if it weren't for corrupt politicians encouraging unbridled development in order to line their pockets.

From ResearchMonkey's article:

The oyster industry in Apalachicola Bay existed many years before the Corps dammed up the Chattahoochee to provide water for the city of Atlanta. Screw the city of Atlanta. They brought their suffering on themselves.
Politicians never plan for a 100 year drought because they never plan on being in office for that long. ;) The results of their 'work' aren't felt until they've been underground for 20 years.

I do recall constant fights to try and expand the water supply for over 30 years... but the endless lawsuits have crippled most efforts. Modern conservation societies wont allow for more reserve lakes to be built above or below the city because some kind of cricket or field mouse habitat would be wiped out. Also, the 10,000 homes and farms in the area would have to be condemned to start the 15 year process of blasting, shoring, and whatnot. Still... even if everything was out of the way, the absolutely psychotic growth of the region over the last 25 years has outstripped anything man can do to catch up with it. Yes, the city is too big. Yes, the planning was corrupt and sucked... but it was enough to cope with 90% of scenarios. The trouble is that we have seemingly had 3 of the last 7 years be one of those 50+ year droughts. The watershed has shriveled up for everything in 300 miles regardless of the population. An emergency plan has to be implemented.. somehow. There isn't time for another round of lawsuits. I daresay that when it gets to the very end, the feds will step in and shut down all restaurants, car washes, curtail businesses, put limiters on houses, force recycilng... but when it comes down to the raw ragged edge of needing the drinking water, there will be a mondo injunction to divert the river utterly. I don't like it... but thats reality. I hope it shakes their collective trees enough to expedite better management.

Personally, I would like to see a fat pipe run out across South Carolina pulling millions of gallons of seawater, desalinating it, and filling up the watershed constantly... give mother nature half a chance to come back from a near TKO.

The price?... gag... probably a few billion dollars... but the long term benefits would be enormous. They could be running a few pipes along the west coast as well so as to feed Phoenix, Vegas... expand the ability of man to spread out from the coastal cities. If we pull our water from the oceans, then we can free up the rivers and whatnot to their original courses. We just don't feel like paying for it.

Politicians never plan for a 100 year drought because they never plan on being in office for that long. ;) The results of their 'work' aren't felt until they've been underground for 20 years.

I do recall constant fights to try and expand the water supply for over 30 years... but the endless lawsuits have crippled most efforts. Modern conservation societies wont allow for more reserve lakes to be built above or below the city because some kind of cricket or field mouse habitat would be wiped out. Also, the 10,000 homes and farms in the area would have to be condemned to start the 15 year process of blasting, shoring, and whatnot. Still... even if everything was out of the way, the absolutely psychotic growth of the region over the last 25 years has outstripped anything man can do to catch up with it. Yes, the city is too big. Yes, the planning was corrupt and sucked... but it was enough to cope with 90% of scenarios. The trouble is that we have seemingly had 3 of the last 7 years be one of those 50+ year droughts. The watershed has shriveled up for everything in 300 miles regardless of the population. An emergency plan has to be implemented.. somehow. There isn't time for another round of lawsuits. I daresay that when it gets to the very end, the feds will step in and shut down all restaurants, car washes, curtail businesses, put limiters on houses, force recycilng... but when it comes down to the raw ragged edge of needing the drinking water, there will be a mondo injunction to divert the river utterly. I don't like it... but thats reality. I hope it shakes their collective trees enough to expedite better management.

Personally, I would like to see a fat pipe run out across South Carolina pulling millions of gallons of seawater, desalinating it, and filling up the watershed constantly... give mother nature half a chance to come back from a near TKO.

The price?... gag... probably a few billion dollars... but the long term benefits would be enormous. They could be running a few pipes along the west coast as well so as to feed Phoenix, Vegas... expand the ability of man to spread out from the coastal cities. If we pull our water from the oceans, then we can free up the rivers and whatnot to their original courses. We just don't feel like paying for it.

Sure. Drag my home into this. Georgia has an Atlantic coast, too, ya know...*handonhip

Now that I stare at a map, it seems the closest point from Lake Lanier to the ocean is right at the GA/SC border... so it could conceivably come through Savannah. It would just have to be stuck out an extra 10 miles into the ocean to avoid the marshlands and nukeplant stuff.

more and mor water reclamation plants are popping up here.
They just need to do like we need to do with the oil problem, and do more drilling.

Drill several big-ass water wells, and build water reserve tanks/(big bladders).
They then need to make a water usage contingency plan.
If they stop with all the politics, this could be done fairly quickly IMO.
(also if the politicians done try to line their pockets, and spend responsibly to get it done)

There's one under my town, too. That's what saved us from having to do water rationing or having to paint the lawns green during the late 1980s and early 1990s drought, like other places in the area had to.

HOWEVER dot dot dot...

The area here has seen an explosion in the growth of the wine industry. The Paso Robles wine appellation is quickly gaining a Napa Valley level of respect in the wine world. But, with the growth in the wine industry, people who have lived for years in areas where vineyards are now going in are reporting having to dig their wells deeper because of the water table dropping.

On the other hand, we're used to dry summers in California. Rain in the summer is exceptionally rare here. Rain in October is "a tad early." It's usually well into November by the time the first big storm of the year comes through. It usually tapers off in March or April, leaving it bone dry (with 100-plus temperatures and low humidity in July and August) until the rains come back in the winter. That's why there are several wildfires that surpass 30,000 acres every year in California. The large fires in south GA that burned so much land went like they did because that area hadn't burned in many, many years and you're finally seeing the summer dryness that we see every year here, which dried the area out enough to make it a tinderbox.

Hmmm... cisterns might be a way to go here as well... except that you need surplus water to fill them up with. We haven't had a surplus year since 2001.

We've got several big tanks around town that hold several million gallons of water each. There are two right next to each other, and we had a few tough water years after the earthquake because they both got damaged. One of them was serious enough to make it unable to hodl water, so they had to fix that, then after they fixed that one, they had to do repairs to the second one, so for a few years we only had one of the two tanks operational. Both are up and running now though.

Problem is: Atlanta is what, 1200 ft. above sea level? Pumping that much water that far and that high would be a massive engineering project. I think Cat is right, increased reclamation and adding wells may be the answer (or at least part of the answer). :shrug:

Florida Joins Alabama in Water Fight

I don't know anybody who gives a rat's ass about some endangered species of mussels up the river (besides the EPD and Chuckie C). If anything, decreased flow from the Apalachicola River makes the oysters in the bay saltier, but that's a good thing. However, if the salinity of the bay gets too high, that's not good. Right now red tide is a bigger threat than elevated salinity, though.

So, basically, we have to pick who we want to be fucked over in this situation. It's going to be someone.

Roosevelt had his TVA and CCC, Kennedy had his space program. What we need now to galvanize the nation is a nationwide water pipeline system which pumps water from areas which have too much to areas which have too little. The pumps would be able to pump water both ways.

The government needs to tell the enviros to go to hell and simply make the thing without environmental impact reports, etc blocking the way. This could be done easily if there were a single spine left in DC.

The 300+ acres my grandparents owner (on my mother's side) that
the gov. Took for about half market price....., Is completely dry now again,
except for the 5 streams running through it.

I was off base.....(had a family reunion today)
it was 1400+ acres

Back