Water, water, everywhere...

Why do you think I have that beef? I was pointing out the silliness of being against impact reports. As if more information and some planning ahead is a bad thing.

Here in Colorado we have what is known as the Adams Tunnel. I brings water 13.1 miles from the Western Slope to the Continental Divide and the Eastern Slope and took 4 years to build. It is part of THIS SYSTEM.

The problem is that it extends under what would now be coinsidered "fragile" habitat. If there were to be attempted today to built an exact replica, which would parallel the existing tunnel, the budget would be entirely eaten up by environmental impact reports prior to the denial of permits.

THAT is what is a bad thing.

If there were to be attempted today to built an exact replica, which would parallel the existing tunnel, the budget would be entirely eaten up by environmental impact reports prior to the denial of permits.

That's some hearty unfounded speculation you've dished up there. Yummy.

That's some hearty unfounded speculation you've dished up there. Yummy.

I guess you missed the part about "fragile habitat". If you were to actually go to the sites I linked to you would find that the tunnel goes under Rocky Mountain National Park.

All of a sudden you seem to have this faith in the government that I do not share. You truly believe that there would be permits issued after an environmental impact study to allow a 13.1 mile tunnel 3 meters in diameter to be drilled under a national park? Now THAT'S a hell of a lot of faith on your part.

I have no idea if the project would be approved or if "the budget would be entirely eaten up by environmental impact reports".

I can however recognize that you are speculating without any proof in an attempt to encourage unresearched projects.

I have no idea if the project would be approved or if "the budget would be entirely eaten up by environmental impact reports".

I can however recognize that you are speculating without any proof in an attempt to encourage unresearched projects.
:fap:

The Georgia Gov. has the issue under control now. Just pray for rain. Brilliant.

ATLANTA --What to do when the rain won't come? If you're Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, you pray.
more stories like this

The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief from the drought gripping the Southeast.

"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a higher power," Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said on Wednesday.

Perdue's office has sent out invitations to leaders from several faiths for the service, set for Tuesday.

Perdue has several times mentioned the need for prayer -- along with water conservation -- as the state's drought crisis has worsened. Over the summer, he participated in day of prayer for agriculture at a gathering of the Georgia Farm Bureau in Macon, Ga.

Perdue, a Baptist, has enjoyed strong support from Georgia's Christian conservatives.

The Southeast has been suffering from an intense drought in recent months that has threatened supplies of drinking water. Georgia has been locked in a battle with Alabama and Florida over how much water should be sent downstream from the state's dwindling reservoirs.

Governors from the three states reached a temporary agreement after meeting with Bush administration officials in Washington.

The prayer service will be held outside the state Capitol on Tuesday. Unless, of course, it rains.

"Then we'll move it inside, thankfully," Brantley said

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/11/08/georgia_turns_to_prayer_to_ease_drought/?p1=email_to_a_friend

Yup. That sounds like him allright. At least praying for random divine intervention seems to have a better payoff ratio than praying to the Feds for assistance. There really is no other way right now to get water other than the old fashioned way. Any kind of 'plan' for large scale relief would be 5 years minimum.

yeah, it's akin to praying for money.
It don't work that way.

The lord know what you have Need of.
Just need faith.

we'll get a little soon, and I'm predicting a wet new year.:hippy:

The Georgia Gov. has the issue under control now. Just pray for rain. Brilliant.

It's not nice to fool mother nature.

Pray. Or sit silently & wait. There's no changing what has already happened-or didn't happen.

My mom has a plaque, that is a business practice, but now has more meaning
than ever.
A Lack of Planning on Your part, does not constitute and emergency on My part

More people should plan ahead.
I've gotta sticky about "don't be afraid, be prepared" since 6-21-04

I have no pity.

Nah. We all read the same weather map. It only rained for like 20 minutes and gave up .20 of an inch. It all got instantly sucked up into the parched earth... so the net effect was about nil.

my lake level has now dropped about a foot.
Nothing has been coming out the lower end for some time now.
There's still the stronger creek on the backside of the hill
feeding plenty downstream though.
We got about an inch here, they say, but like unc said the ground is like a sponge.
No run-off at all.

It'll come when the man up stairs wants it to.:hippy:

my lake level has now dropped about a foot.
Nothing has been coming out the lower end for some time now.
There's still the stronger creek on the backside of the hill
feeding plenty downstream though.
We got about an inch here, they say, but like unc said the ground is like a sponge.
No run-off at all.

It'll come when the man up stairs wants it to.:hippy:

What didn't run off or evaporate and was absorbed into the ground will make its way to the water table. There is always some gain when it rains.

I think the 'water table' is like 12 feet below ground now.
When it's deeper than a grave, it's not good.
I believe very little water will reach it before the plants, and mulch get it, if any.

We could use like 3 inches just to prepare the ground for a Good rain.

I don't understand it. The experts said we'd get a near record number of hurricanes to fill your ponds & float your cars. WHat happened? (will use every opportunity to laugh at this)

oh, it's global warming with the hurricanes don'tchaKnow.
Oh but now it's global warming that we're in this drought.:confused:

The upside of the rain is that it came through at like 2am... so there would have been minimal evaporation.

I tells ya... I woke at 230am for a glass of water and saw the rain coming down pretty heavy outside... but it was over in 20 minutes. I rose again an hour later for natures call and noted that it was almost bone dry out there. I only saw a shallow puddle on a neighbors sidewalk. Its was ... surreal. I'm used to having it take up to 6 hours for a rain to dry up.

Back